Outdoors
Sponsored by

Steiner XC Binos?

635 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Caladan
DeBoss
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This a quality brand/image? Never really heard anything so waiting for Caladan to say yay/nay. Midway is running a 50% off right now on their 10x42.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/960191/steiner-xc-binocular-10x-roof-prism-black?cm_mmc=pe_weekly-_-supersonic-_-steiner_xc-_-20170224
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Played with them and wasn't overly impressed at regular price but for half off.... well...
DeBoss
AG
Is it worth spending the $250 to upgrade from a $100 pair or better to wait longer and spend $400-500 on a really good pair? I'm in the market this year and hoping to have a new pair by deer season this fall.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
I'll let Caladan answer that one. May be something else out there for a better deal at $500ish already.
Caladan
DeBoss said:

This a quality brand/image? Never really heard anything so waiting for Caladan to say yay/nay. Midway is running a 50% off right now on their 10x42.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/960191/steiner-xc-binocular-10x-roof-prism-black?cm_mmc=pe_weekly-_-supersonic-_-steiner_xc-_-20170224
On the road, will reply later this evening with opinion on XC.

It will not be a good opinion.

C
Caladan
DeBoss said:

Sorry it took a while to reply. We are at the Whooping Crane Festival at Port A. The cranes were already whooping it up when we got here late last night. Gangs of drunken and rowdy cranes just roaming the streets and alleys here.

I haven't used a 42mm XC, but I have used an 8x32. It performed extremely poorly. Actually, it performed EXTREMELY poorly. The only good thing I could say about it is that it has a decent build quality. That bino isn't worth half of what they are asking for it. Based on my experience, I would not ever consider owning any XC binocular, and certainly would not recommend one to anyone, even at half the price.

A much better option for not that much more money would be the 10x42 Leopold Mojave Pro Guide HD on sale at MidwayUSA for $369. Camerlandny might have it for the same price too. Much better optics and build quality than the XC. If you have to stay under $300, then look at the Vortex Diamonback and Nikon Monarch or Prostaff 7s. Also see if you can find a Zeus Terra on sale. A few weeks ago, you could find new ones for $299. I'm not a huge fan of the Terra, but I could get on board for $299.

C
Caladan
DeBoss said:

Is it worth spending the $250 to upgrade from a $100 pair or better to wait longer and spend $400-500 on a really good pair? I'm in the market this year and hoping to have a new pair by deer season this fall.
Depends on the two bino's, but in most cases it is worthwhile to upgrade from $100 to $250, and especially if you could get to $299 (see above). There won't be as much of a jump in view when going from $250 to $400-$500, but there will be an increase in quality, especially if you can find a $500+ bino such as the Vortex Viper on sale for under $500.

That being said, if you could get to $665, you could get to a near alpha-level of quality buy getting a Tract Toric. These easily compete at the ~$1k level.

Gotta head off to the birding trade show now. Should be able to audition some new binos there, so I will reply again to this thread if I see something new and worth mentioning.

C
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.