Outdoors
Sponsored by

Zion NP Utah in May

1,895 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by c0rn_d0g
Ken Adams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Planning to spend a day at Zion with a group of guys. Any suggestions or must-do's?
Thanks!
mpl35
AG
The narrows
Angels landing
Observation point

Those are my top three.
If you only have one full day, then do Angel's Landing early, hit weeping rock (quick but neat), and then hike as far up the Narrows as you can and then back out. You can sub in Observation Point if you prefer over Angel's Landing...or if the Narrows can't be hike do to flood danger, go straight from Angel's to Observation. That would be a very good day. If you do the Narrows, consider renting shoes and socks from the local outfitter.
LRHF
AG
Research the Subway hike and work on getting a permit. You want to do this as a one way trip. This is a technical trip, if you don't have this experience find somebody that does.
reddog90
AG
First, I would spend more than a day if you are able. If you are experienced, get into the back country to escape the crowds.

Narrows - You can't really go to Zion without doing the Narrows. It is going to be insanely packed in May. Think buses of people with no hiking experience. Be on the first bus to beat crowds. I would suggest renting the shoes from Zion Adventure Co and their walking stick. You can snap a trekking pole in the river rocks.
Angels Landing - same as above. Downright dangerous (imo) when fighting crowds on the chains.
Observation Point - great hike, better vista than AL but not as thrilling of a hike.
Subway - Need a permit. Not crowded. Hiking bottom up to the Subway isn't that exciting but the Subway itself is incredible.
West Rim - Catch first shuttle from Zion Adventure Co. You can do it top down in one day if you are in shape. You could hit AL on the way down but it will be packed by the time you get there. You can also pull a permit and camp up on the rim. Incredible views from up there.

In general, stuff in the main canyon, anything easily accessible by the shuttle bus, and relatively easy hiking is going to be crowded. Permit required = less crowded. More difficult = less crowded. By crowded I mean you will feel like you are on a tour bus inside Jurassic Park surrounded by foreigners and retirees.

This is a great resource:
http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/
mpl35
AG
reddog90 said:

First, I would spend more than a day if you are able. If you are experienced, get into the back country to escape the crowds.

Narrows - You can't really go to Zion without doing the Narrows. It is going to be insanely packed in May. Think buses of people with no hiking experience. Be on the first bus to beat crowds. I would suggest renting the shoes from Zion Adventure Co and their walking stick. You can snap a trekking pole in the river rocks.
Angels Landing - same as above. Downright dangerous (imo) when fighting crowds on the chains.
Observation Point - great hike, better vista than AL but not as thrilling of a hike.
Subway - Need a permit. Not crowded. Hiking bottom up to the Subway isn't that exciting but the Subway itself is incredible.
West Rim - Catch first shuttle from Zion Adventure Co. You can do it top down in one day if you are in shape. You could hit AL on the way down but it will be packed by the time you get there. You can also pull a permit and camp up on the rim. Incredible views from up there.

In general, stuff in the main canyon, anything easily accessible by the shuttle bus, and relatively easy hiking is going to be crowded. Permit required = less crowded. More difficult = less crowded. By crowded I mean you will feel like you are on a tour bus inside Jurassic Park surrounded by foreigners and retirees.

The Narrows are busy, but not as packed the deeper you go.

Angel's Landing is much less crowded at dawn. It is about hitting the popular areas EARLY imo. And Zion is definitely worth more than a day
Ken Adams
AG
Thanks for a lot of things to consider!
We'll definitely spend a full day out there but we're a little limited on time since we've got some great golf lined up at some of Mesquite's best courses.
bmac_aggie18
AG
For the Narrows It is an absolute MUST to rent the river shoes from an outfitting company. I was too cheap and decided walking 13 miles through a rock bottom river in Keen's was a good idea lol. I did that hike in August and I still have blister marks! Top to bottom is the way to go, nothin like camping on that river
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Main canyon could be crowded AF. All the mentioned hikes/trails are great. But if you want a little more quiet or space drive the 45 minutes to the Kolob Canyon section or hit up the eastern side of the park. Still great scenery and hiking. WAY less crowds.
Motot
AG
Another not mentioned above is Hidden Canyon trail. It is a bit like Angels landing in that you're holding onto chains, then turns into a narrow slot canyon. Not crowded
JRizzle
AG
Ive been to Zion probably 12-15 times. I love it.

I will say with one day, the highlight is Angel's Landing. Second would be to stroll up the narrows a couple of miles. Honestly, thats about all you're going to fit in one day.

It is really nice to have some cocktails on the patio overlooking courtyard at lodge after a long day of hiking.

If you have another day, Id add in Observation point and Kolob Canyon. There is a new brewpub right outside the pedestrian entrance to the park that has good food and beer also.

JR

speckledtrout
Can someone explain why the rental shoes are so much better to wear than hiking boots or tennis shoes ? I've never been to Zion's and I'm curious. It's on my list of parks to visit.
mpl35
AG
speckledtrout said:

Can someone explain why the rental shoes are so much better to wear than hiking boots or tennis shoes ? I've never been to Zion's and I'm curious. It's on my list of parks to visit.
I did fine in my trail runners when I did it. My wife did a lot of slipping and sliding. We went in from the bottom and went up to the area where you can camp and back out in the afternoon one day. The rentals are designed for the water and wet rocks though. I'd rent them in a heart beat if I went again. you get a great shoe and keep your own shoes dry.

Hiking the Narrows is like walking on a bed of underwater bowling balls all day - slippery, awkward, and unfamiliar. To help you manage this tricky situation, we've developed incredibly comfortable and effective shoes to decrease the physical difficulty of this hike. The Canyoneer 2 provides the best combination of ankle support, wet traction, comfort, and toe protection on the footwear market. These shoes are NOT waterproof, but rather designed to allow water to flow through easily, keeping your feet light and free. When you have the right footwear, you can comfortably focus your attention on the scenery instead of constantly searching for a less-painful next step.

Ken Adams
AG
Narrows and Angels Landing look like the two we'd probably have to check out. I'll be honest and say I'm not a huge fan thinking about the narrow, steep cliffs to climb on the final section of AL, so can any of you talk me into it not being as bad as I picture it?
mpl35
AG
It isn't that bad. Some areas are scary for sure. I did see grade school kids on it though. Also, there is a chain that you can keep a death grip on the entire time. I will admit I did. Once you get up there, you can see up and down the canyon and just enjoy the views. I did it in May and want to go back again some day.
Big Bucks
AG
My wife and I spent a couple days and drove through Kolub Canyons and the eastern park before sunset one day. Incredible. Hiked to weeping rock, observation point and just enough of the narrows to get wet to be honest. Of course we went in late June and the high temperature reached in the 110's when we were there!
speckledtrout
mpl35 - Thank you for your reply. That was helpful.
reddog90
AG
mpl35 said:

reddog90 said:

The Narrows are busy, but not as packed the deeper you go.

Angel's Landing is much less crowded at dawn. It is about hitting the popular areas EARLY imo. And Zion is definitely worth more than a day
Last October, it was packed all the way to Orderville Canyon, I didn't go past that unfortunately. I agree that the key is being early to these places. If you only have one day, maybe do AL first. I would feel more comfortable doing AL when it is less crowded, then spending the afternoon in the cool water of the narrows with the crowds. Then go to Oscar's and drink and eat burgers.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
mpl35 said:

It isn't that bad. Some areas are scary for sure. I did see grade school kids on it though. Also, there is a chain that you can keep a death grip on the entire time. I will admit I did. Once you get up there, you can see up and down the canyon and just enjoy the views. I did it in May and want to go back again some day.

Grade school kids. Hell nah. O look mommy (ahhhh death). Quit hitting your sister (ahhhh death). Stop skipping (ahhhh death).

For the OP. Hold the chain keep walking it's not that bad. Probably about five feet wide.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
bmac_aggie18 said:

For the Narrows It is an absolute MUST to rent the river shoes from an outfitting company. I was too cheap and decided walking 13 miles through a rock bottom river in Keen's was a good idea lol. I did that hike in August and I still have blister marks! Top to bottom is the way to go, nothin like camping on that river

So several years ago we did the 13 mile top down hike of the Narrows, I was in Keens (because wading through the river al day, right). By the time we got to the camp site that night each of my feet had a spot that was raw into the flesh, making walking excruciating. So at camp I wrapped my feet around the middle in duct tape so I could hike out the next morning. Fortunately the cold water helped to numb your feet. I think it took about six months for the spots on my feet to fully heal.
bmac_aggie18
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

bmac_aggie18 said:

So several years ago we did the 13 mile top down hike of the Narrows, I was in Keens (because wading through the river al day, right). By the time we got to the camp site that night each of my feet had a spot that was raw into the flesh, making walking excruciating. So at camp I wrapped my feet around the middle in duct tape so I could hike out the next morning. Fortunately the cold water helped to numb your feet. I think it took about six months for the spots on my feet to fully heal.

There were about 12 camp sites and we were at #11 I think so it was the second to last furthest out and by the time I got to the camp site which was pretty much dark by then, my feet were just like yours and the next day I put my socks on with the keens which helped a little!
c0rn_d0g
AG
Some things specific to May-

The Virgin River (and hence the narrows) may well be flowing too fast. The park closes that "trail" when the river exceeds a certain CFM. Plan on flows being a bit higher, stronger, and colder that time of year from the snowmelt.

The subway is a great option and I highly recommend it, but you need a permit. And you are best to reserve it far in advance. Details- https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/thesubway.htm

The Kolob Canyon part of the park is great for solitude.

Bryce Canyon is not far away, either.

Lesser known but becoming very popular- the hike to Kanarra Creek on the way to Cedar City. It's outside of the park. Google it and see if it strikes your fancy.

Zion is one of my favorite parks, but i'm of the thought that it's better taken in when you focus on a couple of things instead of trying to cram it "all" in on one trip.

Pick up the Nat Geo Trails illustrated map and plan away. Have fun.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.