Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bring horses to Big bend?

1,271 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Reel Aggies
will.mcg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone have experience taking their own horses/miles to Big Bend & trail riding the park & surrounding areas? This has been on my list for just a couple of years now that my wife has found her seat. I am looking for any tips on where we can camp/stay(tent,RV hookups, or cabin) with horse facilities. What trails we must ride & anything to be aware of.
GSS
Not sure about Big Bend Natl Park, but right next door is...
Big Bend Ranch State Park

Riding horseback is a great way to explore almost 300,000 acres of the Chihuahuan Desert, in Texas' largest and most remote state park. Big Bend Ranch State Park offers approximately 238 miles of multiuse trails that are suitable for horses. Horseback riding is also allowed in backcountry areas except where specifically excluded.
MouthBQ98
AG
I think there are some trails open to horses at big bend. I can swear I saw a staging area and parking lot for horses.
will.mcg
AG
Thanks. I think I may call up a horse outfitter in the area if I can find one & see if I can pick their brain.
txagdan
AG
That sounds incredible. Good luck.
Reel Aggies
AG
Only time I have seen horses was during a rescue when someone fell on a trail and hit their head. I would almost hate to see horses on the trail. We hiked Hill Country State Natural area today and the trails are so worn out and eroded by the constant horse traffic. It makes it hard to enjoy hiking.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.