Outdoors
Sponsored by

On this day in 1836...

3,223 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TAMU77CLAY
schmellba99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
About 1000 Mexican army were in the process of surrounding the Alamo. Deguelo and a blood red flag indicated that the 180 some,odd Texians would receive no quarter. Col. Travis answered their demand for unconditional surrender with a cannon shot.

The seige at the Alamo had begun, and Texas was just a few weeks away from becoming an independent nation-state.

Remember the Alamo.
MemphisAg1
always gig em
AG
Come and take it
fightingfarmer09
Remember Goliad!

Milwaukees Best Light
FrioAg 00
AG
And to this day still the best place on Earth
Tx-Ag2010
AG
dr_boogs
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

Amen Frio, Amen!!! Hope everyone here has visited the Alamo. If not, put it on your list. Pretty sobering to think about what those men experienced so that we could one day live in freedom.
Texas 1836
AG
Did someone call me??
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

Dang straight.
aggie67,74&76
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
Quote:

To the People of Texas & All Americans in the World:

Fellow citizens & compatriotsI am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa AnnaI have sustained a continual Bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & have not lost a man. The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is takenI have answered the demand with a cannon shot, & our flag still waves proudly from the walls. I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatchThe enemy is receiving reinforcements daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his countryVictory or Death.

William Barret Travis

Lt. Col. comdt

P.S. The Lord is on our sideWhen the enemy appeared in sight we had not three bushels of cornWe have since found in deserted houses 80 or 90 bushels & got into the walls 20 or 30 head of Beeves.

Travis
The Fife
MFBarnes already did this, complete with dioramas.
Corps_Ag12
Big Bucks
88jrt06
AG
"Travis, GTFO of that indefensible ****hole. Get over your ego. WE NEED FIGHTERS. Cut loose and join us. Don't be arrogant and stupid. There is no strategic advantage to holding a decaying mission. Obey orders! Don't stupidly sacrifice our crucial troops!"
-S. Houston (the man, the winner)

Fact. Travis was a fool. But a brave one. Thank God instead of Fannin and Travis, we had Sam Houston in charge.
Because I failed to learn Spanish.
TAMU77CLAY
AG
88, you sure about this post?
BQ88
AG
Yeah...I think he might have that just a little bit off.
C4D
AG
Easy to say Travis made the wrong decision now. Especially if loss of life is the most important aspect in winning a war.

I figure not handing your nuts over to a coward mexican commander was the right thing to do. No, i say Kill as many as you can and get em all in one spot for an easy roundup later on. It seemed to work.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Travis was 26 years old when he wrote that. Now that's the age "kids" get off their parents' health insurance.
Pro Sandy
AG
Houston was right about the Alamo, but Travis' defense bought time for Houston to create an army and get them ready for victory at San Jacinto.

Would Houston have won regardless? Who knows. But Travis buying a few weeks and killing a few hundred Mexicans helped.

Remember the Alamo.
Chetos
AG
historical ignorance like this is why we must always remember the Alamo. Keep this thread going. It is our duty to continue to educate future generations of Texans.
Chetos
AG
Pro sandy understands Texas history.
Pro Sandy
AG
Good song, but I like this one even more. Better song and more historically accurate

schmellba99
AG
Pro Sandy said:

Houston was right about the Alamo, but Travis' defense bought time for Houston to create an army and get them ready for victory at San Jacinto.

Would Houston have won regardless? Who knows. But Travis buying a few weeks and killing a few hundred Mexicans helped.

Remember the Alamo.

Not only that, but the sheer brutality displayed by Santa Anna at the Alamo (and the Tampico Expedition, Coleto Creek and Afua Dulce Creek batles as well) and Portillo at Goliad, it could be arfued that the oberall desire for independence by the Texian populous might not have happened in the manner it did.
aggiesq
AG
Take every opportunity you can to remind people, especially non-Texans, that the Alamo was fought by Texans as a battle between Texas and Mexico. IT WAS NOT A BATTLE IN THE MEXICAN AMERICAN WAR!

Corps_Ag12
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

Travis was 26 years old when he wrote that. Now that's the age "kids" get off their parents' health insurance.

Yea right. I walked across the stage at graduation & my parents handed me my cell phone bill and car insurance saying congrats now get to work because you're off our health insurance.
TAMU77CLAY
AG
Corps, you got great parents.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.