Outdoors
Sponsored by

It's the little things...

2,280 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by K Bo
SpiderD02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Swinging in the ENO hammock watching my three kids play in the backyard while drinking an IPA. The BGE has a chicken roasting watching the temp from the Thermoworks Smoke and browsing the Internet for guns on PSA.
Thanks Outdoors Board for helping me spend money on these things. (no sarcasm) and thanks for making most days brighter with a laugh or something new to learn.
With all the "turmoil" on the news it's nice to stop and appreciate the good in life.
Stasco
AG
Amen.

What's the IPA?
SpiderD02
AG
Hop Hunter by Sierra Nevada. Found two in the back of the beer fridge tonight leftover from don't remember when.
03_Aggie
A pine tree branch blended with water.
normaleagle05
AG
My ENO One Link got delivered this morning! 17 miles on the Navasota in my kayak on Saturday and then ribeye, boozing and snoozing on the banks that night. I'm really looking forward to the hammock, sleeping on the ground got old when I turned 20.
schmellba99
AG
Stasco said:

Amen.

What's the IPA?

A crappy over hopped beer that generally has a following because "not bud light".
AgLA06
AG
schmellba99 said:

Stasco said:

Amen.

What's the IPA?

A crappy over hopped beer that generally has a following because "not bud light".

Don't you dare even think about including the rest of craft beer in with the hop idiot bashing.
Oruc Reis
AG
You IPA bashers are dumb. Ya there are some kick you in the teeth bitter ones, but there are some amazingly balanced and floral ones as well. St Arnold's Art Car is a great one to try. Lone Pint Yellow rose is another
SpiderD02
AG
schmellba99 said:

It was that or Oskar Blues Death by Coconut porter. Been on more a cocktail kick lately and my beer selection has dwindled, doing a bit of spring cleaning. Besides pine branch water reminds me of East Texas.
jaseev
This is my bucket list afternoon, but grandkids would be being watched an my wife of 26 years would be w me. Everybody wants to travel but does it really ever get any better than the OP description of the perfect afternoon in todays times??
jt2hunt
AG
I love the bitter ones. Hopadillo is great watching baseball!
Badace52
AG
Quote:

IPA only exists because due to the antibacterial properties of hops, beer on ships setting sail for India from Europe was over-hopped to prevent spoiling. The beer tasted bad, but it was drinkable for much longer. It's a bad beer and there is no reason for it to exist today. I am of the firm belief that the only people that actually like it either have taste buds insensitive to thiourea family bitter taste (approximately 1/3 of people do not have these receptors) or have convinced themselves it is not horribly bitter.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Cancelled
AG
I used to hate them. Now they are all I drink.

I think there's a lot of confusion on IPAs. The real true IPAs are not that bitter. I had an IPA in the UK and it wasn't nearly as bitter as ours. I think the really hopped IPAs are an American (west coast) creation. So, I think the historical bit about the bitterness might be wrong.
tamu2009
AG
How do you like the smoke? Thinking about getting one as much as I love my thermapen
water turkey
I thought you were going to say "that piss me off".
Stasco
AG
schmellba99 said:

Stasco said:

Amen.

What's the IPA?

I'm a home brewer, so I know what IPA is. I was asking which one.

As someone who's not a huge fan of IPAs but drinks them from time to time, I'll say that the militant anti-IPA people are almost as annoying as the militant hop heads.
texag_89
Man, this is like the "anti-Lone Star" thread....

Dogfish Head 90 (or 120 if you are ready to twist-off it a bit)

Also, Pinedrops by Deschutes will grow on you after a while.

(commence the all the LS drinkers barrage of hell-fire about that crap that should be sold in plastic with a screw top and labeled as purified via reverse osmosis )

_89
Na Zdraví 87
AG
schmellba99 said:

Stasco said:

Amen.

What's the IPA?

Haha
Stasco
AG
Badace52 said:

Quote:

IPA only exists because due to the antibacterial properties of hops, beer on ships setting sail for India from Europe was over-hopped to prevent spoiling. The beer tasted bad, but it was drinkable for much longer. It's a bad beer and there is no reason for it to exist today. I am of the firm belief that the only people that actually like it either have taste buds insensitive to thiourea family bitter taste (approximately 1/3 of people do not have these receptors) or have convinced themselves it is not horribly bitter.

This is a common myth. The origin of IPAs is a lot more varied and nuanced than that. A big part of it has to do with water chemistry and the way that certain minerals affect your perception of hop bitterness. The water found a Burton on Trent (where the Bass brewery is located) has incredibly high calcium and sulfate content, but with an alkalinity level that's balanced by high hardness. The mineral content of that water leads to a really clean hop bitterness that a lot of people seem to like. It was never this unpopular beer that soldiers acquired a taste for over time due to lack of alternatives. It was popular in England when and where it was first brewed.

Also, high hop content doesn't even do a very good job of preserving finished beer. Alcohol content does a much better job of preserving beer that has finished fermentation. Where the antimicrobial properties of alpha acids from hops come into play is at the beginning of fermentation, when various microbes are competing for a spot at the table. Alpha acids inhibit bacterial growth, but don't really affect yeast, which is great when you have fresh wort and you want the yeast to take a foothold. Once beer gets above 4% or so ABV during fermentation, there are very few bacterial microbes that are capable of infecting a beer at standard storage or fermentation temperature. EDIT: Doing a little more reading on this, there are conflicting arguments out there about the alcohol levels needed to inhibit bacterial growth. The amount of alcohol in a normal beer certainly will not completely eliminate bacteria (or we'd never have tasty lambics) but it does still inhibit them. One article I found suggested that the dryness of early IPAs (relative to porters) was key to their ability to survive the journey to India moreso than anything else (i.e. no residual sugar means less for bad bacteria to munch on.)

It is definitely true that 1800s era British IPAs weren't nearly as hoppy or bitter as some of the modern American west coast IPAs, but that's a development that's only really happened in the past 20 years or so. I compare it to the hot chilli cookoffs where guys get into pissing contests over how spicy they can make their chilli.

At the end of the day, the recent American IPA craze has nothing to do with beer preservation, and a lot to do with how it tastes to the people who like it. Maybe that's because some people genuinely like it, and maybe it's because some guys like to show off how "manly" or whatever they are by drinking their hop-sanity quintuple IPA. I say to each his own, and cheers.
SpiderD02
AG
Got it for Christmas. So far I like it, nothing crazy but seems solid. The range is good or good enough for me, goes through several walls and is better than my wifi router. I can have the remote next to me in bed and not worry about too much or little fire.
Wires are a little thicker than my other cheapie unit but doesn't effect seal, just left a little indentation.
I think the wifi adapter is supposed to come out this year but haven't checked recently.
K Bo
AG
Love my ENO DoubleNest
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.