Outdoors
Sponsored by

Keep your cats indoors

2,892 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 12f Mane
SanAntoneAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The feral cat problem has been discussed here ad nauseam but here is another recent article.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/animalia/wp/2017/02/23/this-hunter-waged-a-war-on-feral-cats-now-he-says-he-has-become-the-target-of-attacks/?utm_term=.a89d87cef17b

Note the Humane Society's opinion. And as one would expect, some of the comments below the article are unreal, but expected.
magnumtmp
AG
An inside cat serves no purpose. I have an outside cat for rodent control. She sticks around because she is fed well and 'fixed.' She is good at her job too.

Feral cats come from lack of population control. People need to spay/neuter, not keep them inside.
AgLA06
AG
magnumtmp said:

An inside cat serves no purpose. I have an outside cat for rodent control. She sticks around because she is fed well and 'fixed.' She is good at her job too.

Feral cats come from lack of population control. People need to spay/neuter, not keep them inside.

Which shouldn't apply in an urban neighborhood setting. Which makes them pets that should be controlled at all times and on your property no different than a dog.
magnumtmp
AG
AgLA06 said:

magnumtmp said:

Which shouldn't apply in an urban neighborhood setting. Which makes them pets that should be controlled at all times and on your property no different than a dog.

Fair enough. Hard for me to relate, I live out in the sticks. Closest neighbor is 150 yards, and the other direction is 1/2 mile in the clear.

I still think spay/neuter should be the focus, but I see your point.
AgLA06
AG
magnumtmp said:

AgLA06 said:

magnumtmp said:

Fair enough. Hard for me to relate, I live out in the sticks. Closest neighbor is 150 yards, and the other direction is 1/2 mile in the clear.

I still think spay/neuter should be the focus, but I see your point.

I hear ya. I had no problem with our barn cats when we had our place in South Texas. Can't stand cats in town. Here's the usual BS from neighbors.

"It's my pet, I love it so much! Don't hurt him!"

Yah, well if you "love" him so much keep him in your house so he doesn't crap in my yard and F&F all damn night outside my window.
ursusguy
AG
Just an fyi, TNR doesn't work nearly as well as it is billed. Within 2 years TNR colonies are just as big as natural colonies.
powerbelly
AG
I like my neighbors outdoor cat. Keeps the mice/rat population under control.
AgLA06
AG
ursusguy said:

Just an fyi, TNR doesn't work nearly as well as it is billed. Within 2 years TNR colonies are just as big as natural colonies.

?
rather be fishing
AG
AgLA06 said:

ursusguy said:

?
Trap, Neuter, Release
DriftwoodAg
AG
ursusguy said:

There should be an open season on feral cats, just like feral hogs
Apache
AG
I shoot every one I can when I'm hunting.
I'm pretty sure I killed a B&C world record Calico outside of El Indio in '89.
maverick12
AG
Quote:

I don't mind them eating the various rodents, but there are only a few in our neighborhood. Wish my wife's cat was an outside cat.
CactusThomas
AG
SSS > TNR
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Trapping and relocating is the my preferred method of dealing with feral cats...

Of course the trick is finding a suitable location. I prefer the bottom of a pond or river.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Place we moved into is next to the neighborhood cat lady. Told my wife a 22 and a suppressor and I'd fix it. She wasn't amused.
zooguy96
Y'all know snakes can take care of rodent issues, right?
Vernada
AG
Apache said:

I shoot every one I can when I'm hunting.
I'm pretty sure I killed a B&C world record Calico outside of El Indio in '89.

Why kill em? Just shoot their nuts off.
rather be fishing
AG
The people on the neighborhood list serve and FB complaining about cats missing and then admitting that they let them out daily just bothers me. There's a "loose cat" correlation there, IYKWIM.
normaleagle05
AG
I'll take song birds over cats any day.
SanAntoneAg
AG
If outdoor cats, city or country, were selective toward mice and rats only, that's one thing.

But, they aren't. That's the issue.
maverick12
AG
normaleagle05 said:

I'll take song birds over cats any day.

Song birds are annoying too. They get up too early. Now quail, that's a problem.
eeaggie11
AG
Had a neighbor that let their cat roam free. Our dog would go berserk every time she saw it. Started letting our dog out the door when the cat was around. After our dog treed the cat a few times and it wouldn't come down on its own the neighbor came asked me to contain our dog. Told him you let your cat roam free I'll let my dog roam free.
NRH ag 10
AG
eeaggie11 said:

Had a neighbor that let their cat roam free. Our dog would go berserk every time she saw it. Started letting our dog out the door when the cat was around. After our dog treed the cat a few times and it wouldn't come down on its own the neighbor came asked me to contain our dog. Told him you let your cat roam free I'll let my dog roam free.
I did the same thing without the cat getting stuck drama. I blocked up all the spots they were using to come under my fence, then would let our border collie mix and pit bull mix out whenever I saw a cat. A few treed cats later and they don't come in my backyard anymore.

ETA: I read this linked article, with the gem of a quote:

"They're going to be put down," Marion McKenna told CBS 2 New York, referring to the cats she cares for. "Why don't you just take a machine gun and kill them all now?"

Sounds like a **** ton of fun lady. Thanks for the idea.
water turkey
Cats kill an estimated 1 billion song birds a year.
12f Mane
AG
water turkey said:

Cats kill an estimated 1 billion song birds a year.
Yep, and that is not limited to rural settings. Plenty of songbirds use urban areas.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.