Outdoors
Sponsored by

How to find a good pawn shop gun..

3,079 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by birddog7000
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to compile tips and advice for trolling pawn shops to find a particular make and model of gun, then check it over for function given you can't test shoot it in shop.

Also this presumes they are properly running the gun against those reported stolen so what you are buying is a legit legal pawn gun.

Just curious if anyone has experience going this route, or of its all internet purchases on gunbroker or working through gun shops these days?
CactusThomas
AG
My buddies and I all have experience with this. We have found some great deals in pawn shops. Just understand that you will probably see a ton of horrible deals before you find a good one.
Astrobo
AG
If you find the gun you want, never let them know you are interested in that one right off the bat. You have to work your way around to it and let them know that you would maybe consider it if the price was really good as it is not what you are really looking for, but would consider it if the price was right.
SanAntoneAg
AG
A former co-worker used to buy pawn shop guns quite a bit. He said his method was to offer 30 percent off the asking price on the condition he paid in cash. It would work for him, apparently.
fightingfarmer09
College towns and near military bases. Young soldiers and students will sell things for beer and MIP/DUI fines. Parents also tend to fund these toys so nice rarely used guns can be found.
C4D
AG
It can take quite a while as most of what you find is absolute crap.

When I do find something worth owning this is my go to. I handle the firearm extensivly then give it the " meh, nice gun but not worth what you are asking." Then I goof off with the other dumpster pieces and finally come back to the target. I low ball the cheet out of em at which they deny. I say cool and walk out.
Then i head back a day or two later. I move straight in on the target and field strip the gun right in front of them without asking. "Damn, this thing is dirty. Damn this thing is used up quite a bit." Clean it a bit with my undershirt and show them the grime. Then i offer higher than i did previously and to what the gun is worth to me.

Works pretty well.
You have to know the gun you are looking at and what its worth.
Its my experience that most pawn shop employees dont know a thing about firearms. They dont clean them either. And some of them look the gun up on gunbroker and price it to what they see there. There is probably 8 pawn shops where i live and only one has a dedicated gun salesman who knows anything.
Muzzleblast
Good friend owned several pawn shops.

They give almost nothing for what they have in the store.

You can beat them up on price. Just keep hammering away.

Get a price in your head and always be willing to walk away.

In fact, start walking away and see if they'll stop you.

Cash in hand is attractive to them.

They are going to make a good profit anyway. Markup over what they gave is around 130%.
JSKolache
AG
Bought new & used at various pawn shops & never had a problem. They will negotiate on used stuff, but in my experience didn't budge very far on new. Might ask to check bore with a flashlight or bore light if they have one.
I Am A Critic
There as many pawn shops who know how the game is played as there are geniuses who think they've figured out a way to game the pawn shops. Your best best is to find a pawn shop or two and get to know the people behind the counter. Let them know what you're interested in and ask them to give you a head's up if they see anything that fits. Visit often and buy occasionally. They can smell an idiot playing games a mile away. Don't be that guy.
powerbelly
AG
Just like everyone thinks they know how to beat the car dealer, everyone thinks they know how to beat the pawn shop.

Know a price you think it fair and if they meet it then everyone walks away happy. Playing games is a waste of time.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Not a pawn shop but sell used guns. The fake tire kickers come in regularly... and I'm not going to say this about the rest of the world on selling used guns but I usually know it when I see them. Doesn't work with us but I'm fairly rigid on price minus a texags discount if mentioned. Of course, I have pretty good prices on most things anyways though I think it is time to do a sale on used guns. We've had a lot of people coming in selling them lately. Getting a bit heavy on them.
cledus6150
AG
Oh man a sale on used guns, this could get dangerous to my wallet. Whatcha got?
GSS
I Am A Critic said:

There as many pawn shops who know how the game is played as there are geniuses who think they've figured out a way to game the pawn shops. Your best best is to find a pawn shop or two and get to know the people behind the counter. Let them know what you're interested in and ask them to give you a head's up if they see anything that fits. Visit often and buy occasionally. They can smell an idiot playing games a mile away. Don't be that guy.
Maybe, maybe not. I have been in several pawn shops where the idiots were clearly behind the counter.
fightingfarmer09
I Am A Critic said:

Solid advice.

I shop at my local pawn shop all the time, he doubles as a traditional gun shop and gunsmith.

His ammo might be a $1 more than the internet, but he found a gun I liked and called me before he ever put it on the shelf. If I'm not sure about something he will pull it and give me a couple of days to decide.
Secolobo
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

I Am A Critic said:

Solid advice.

I shop at my local pawn shop all the time, he doubles as a traditional gun shop and gunsmith.

His ammo might be a $1 more than the internet, but he found a gun I liked and called me before he ever put it on the shelf. If I'm not sure about something he will pull it and give me a couple of days to decide.

Yep, get to know them. If you're interested in something I've learned to not beat around the bush and just ask what's the best price they can do. Their friend is gunbroker so they know what they're worth. They might have to look to see what they have in them and see how long they've been on the shelf but once you're a regular they will do their best to get you out the door. They guy I got to know is now the manager so build a relationship.
highvelocity
AG
i troll pawn shops regulary. as mentioned above, college towns or oil field towns that went bust are good places to start.

also as mentioned above, build a repore with the pawn shop manager, they remember people, especially the idiots and the people who spend money. dont be the ******* who is "hey can i see that guy, hey can i see that gun" and never buy. if you want to look, just look. dont get oil from your hands on all of the fire arms they have.

and get to know the folks that work there, working in a pawn shop in college, this helped alot. the folks that came into the shop and asked me how school was going / life in general always got a good deal from me on whatever item they purchased.

and from what i've experienced, shops who price ****ty guns / really used guns at new prices, just turn around and walk away. they wont deal. and probably have a customer base thats a bunch of idiots and will actually pay that price.
Bert315
AG
Yea..watch got?
CharlieBrown17
AG
Used gun sale?
Naveronski
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

... I think it is time to do a sale on used guns. We've had a lot of people coming in selling them lately. Getting a bit heavy on them.

Go on...
FIDO 96
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

Not a pawn shop but sell used guns. The fake tire kickers come in regularly... and I'm not going to say this about the rest of the world on selling used guns but I usually know it when I see them. Doesn't work with us but I'm fairly rigid on price minus a texags discount if mentioned. Of course, I have pretty good prices on most things anyways though I think it is time to do a sale on used guns. We've had a lot of people coming in selling them lately. Getting a bit heavy on them.

Wanna try an auction for used guns?
highvelocity
AG
Eyeguy you got a p226 with a threaded barrel? Got another trade for ya
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
In store? No. Can I get one? Yeah. Whatcha got?
highvelocity
AG
716 DMR

I'll email ya later today
RightWingConspirator
AG
highvelocity said:

716 DMR

Trading a 716 DMR for a P226 w/threaded barrel surely would involve cash, no? You're freaking me out with the prospects of a straight up trade as I just purchased a DMR last summer and it ran me $2600. Yikes.
chjoak
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

You currently have or ever come across any decent SxS 12 ga? Been wanting one for awhile but my budget pretty much restricts me to used and I haven't spent nearly enough time digging into what might be available out there.
agsalaska
AG
I Am A Critic said:

This. There are a few people who put WAY too much time and effort in to trying to beat a pawn shop. There are really two types of pawn shops in Texas with regards to guns. I might know a thing or two about these shops.

First are Pawn shops that make most of their money on gold and have an FFL and do a little gun business. Those may not be too dialed in on current prices or trends and probably price directly off of gun broker, meaning they will screw up a lot. Some of you may call them stupid until you realize they have the same ring you bought your wife in their cases for half the price.

Second are pawn shops that specialize in guns. Thats not going to be a lot different than going into a gun store.

I have seen people walk away from good deals because they thought the game meant they should get a discount. Nowadays with smart phones a lot of pawn shops, especially well run shops, tend to price their merchandise at a point that they can sell it at and do not build in too much of a discount.

Best place to buy guns if you know where to go.
The Original AG 76
AG
Eyeguy
I probably should know this but....

Where is your store / hours ? Need to stop by
proc
AG
Have a buddy who found a Browning Citori in a local pawn shop last year. Lucky duck. He gave it to his son as a hs school graduation present. Lucky duck.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

Eyeguy
I probably should know this but....

Where is your store / hours ? Need to stop by
West Houston...

Texian Firearms
14800 Westheimer Suite K1
Houston, TX 77082

10-7 M-F
10-5 Sat
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
RightWingConspirator said:

highvelocity said:

716 DMR

Trading a 716 DMR for a P226 w/threaded barrel surely would involve cash, no? You're freaking me out with the prospects of a straight up trade as I just purchased a DMR last summer and it ran me $2600. Yikes.
Depends on the condition of the DMR and what he wants in the way of a P226.

Heavily used condition DMR and a New Tacops 226 TB... not the same as a Pristine barely used 716 against an ok used 226 with a threaded barrel. All relative but I keep things as fair as I can for Texags posters.
highvelocity
AG
2600 for just the rifle. man i got a good deal then
SECeded
CharlieBrown17
AG
I've seen lots of decent deals at pawnshops just never what I wanted.

Spent a lot of time trying to find a well used savage in the .308 family at one point and oddly couldn't. Saw lots of other guns in that search I would've bought if not looking for something in particular
highvelocity
AG
the cash americas typically have decent guns. the one that is by the cash america in college station off of texas and holleman is one of those that prices guns at almost new prices because they have tards that will pay them

for anyone in the SA / pleasanton area i saw a nice selection of AR-10s a couple weeks ago.

they had a scar, hk, pof and a nice selection of 1911s. Its the e-z pawn in pleasanton headed towards jourdanton

pretty good example of oil field workers droppin off their nice guns when the bubble popped a couple years ago out there
GigemCO2008
AG
Eye Guy,

Looking for a 226 with rail, 9MM.

Question though, are all 226 frames the same size? I would need to put the g-10 grips since they are thinner, or the thinnest grips out there.

I know I can add an SRT or send it off to Grey Guns (or your shop ) for trigger work.

I know its not much of a trade, but Springfield XD .45, Bi-Tone. This was the original model when first released, bought back in 2007.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.