Outdoors
Sponsored by

Alaska Trip Planning

1,953 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AlaskanAg08
JKAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm going to Alaska July 7-16 and I'm looking for any suggestions or words of wisdom to make the most out of the trip. We have the accommodations picked out and know where we'll be everyday but we haven't decided what and when we'll be doing things.

The trip: 2 nights in Denali, 2 nights in Seward 4 nights in Soldotna and 1 last night in Anchorage before we fly out.

Just staring to look into what to do, but I'm thinking hiking in Denali National Park, the Salmon run could be underway so Soldotna may be fishing heavy and I'd like to get a guide in Seward or Soldotna to try our hand at Halibut.

Any other outdoor activity recommendations or advice to make this an epic trip are appreciated.
Presley OBannons Sword
I'll be in Denali the week before. Two nights is really not enough to do much in Denali besides check the box that you've been there, in my opinion. I think you're trying to do too much in too little time, again, just my opinion.
aggiedent
AG
Denali: the bus trip into the heart of the park is definitely worth doing once. Hiking of course. On your way up you need to stop in at Talkeetna. Eat at the Roadhouse Caf, which was on an episode of Man vs Food. Awesome breakfasts.

Seward: just before you get there, you might want to stop at Exit Glacier. Great hike to the glacier. Hiking to the top of the ice field, however, is a serious all day trip. With the melting of the glacier, they have points along the trail to tell you where the glacier was in various years. If the weather is bad you can always do the Sealife Center. Ray's is the popular restaurant. I thought it was OK.

Soldotna: Can't help you much. Only stayed the night in the RV in Fred Meyers and flown out of there to Lake Clark National Park.

Anchorage: One thing that I've never heard anybody mention is biking the Tony Knowles Coastal trail. You need at least 4 hours. Amazing views along the way. Both wildlife (sandhill cranes, whales) and scenery. Lots of great places to eat.

And fishing fishing fishing.
javajaws
AG
Soldotna is a great place to stay if you'll be taking a guide on the Kenai out of Cooper's Landing. And definitely do take a guided trip on the Kenai...for Rainbows, silvers, or whatever is hot on that date.
Central Committee
AG
I would trade the stop in Seward with a drive to Valdez to see Prince William Sound.

If you are in Soldotna, make the drive down to Homer (no need to spend the night). Take the ferry across Kachemak Bay to Halibut Cove.

Eat at the Homestead restaurant outside of Homer. They have a white Salmon that is better than anything I have ever caught.
http://www.homesteadrestaurant.net/
Central Committee
AG
I badly want to go back. Used to go every other year, but it has been six now.

There is nothing like it, and for scenery, I put Prince William Sound area over Denali.
chris1515
AG
In Seward, take a 4 hour tour of the bay. There are longer rides available, but I think that is sufficient.
We did a 3.5hr tour from Major Marine. It was good, but not overly long. We ate at Ray's waterfront, it was pretty good. There was a little bakery called Lighthouse that was really good.

While you're in the area, you might want to go thru the tunnel to Whittier. But try to get your timing right with the tunnel traffic...

In Denali, definitely take the bus ride. Pack some snacks/drinks with you. I seem to recall that you want to be on the driver's side of the bus. There was a brew-pub/restaurant north of the "town" that was really good. We ate there both nights we were in the area.

labmansid
I would probably trade at least one night in Soldotna for a night at Silver Salmon Creek Lodge at Lake Clark NP. Kind of expensive, but if you want to not only see Grizzlies, but get really close to them, that is the place to go. They may offer day trips as well.

Either there, or a Hallo Bay day trip is also good I hear.

I would also recommend some time in Homer. Pretty cool place with lots to do, including halibut fishing which you seem interested in.

The trip from there to Halibut Cove is pretty neat.

We would love to go back to Alaska. We were there for nearly three weeks, and it still wasn't enough.

JKAG10
AG
Thanks for the recs! Unfortunately the days are set so there won't be any switching around. I'll be there with family and they are the ones that mapped out our days.

I think I'll look at trying to get down to Homer. It's only an hour and a half from Soldotna and it looks like the fishing may be a little cheaper compared to Seward.

We also found a whale watching, glacier boat tour in Seward that sounds pretty interesting.
malenurse
AG
Go to the travel board and search. There are several threads there including one I started. Lots of good info.
JKAG10
AG
malenurse said:

Go to the travel board and search. There are several threads there including one I started. Lots of good info.
Thanks. I was rummaging through the Texags yesterday. I'm pretty sure I ran across your post.
agsalaska
AG
I keep reading these threads wishing I could move back.
jetescamilla
AG
If it makes you feel better, I live here and don't plan on leaving anytime soon.

I took this picture of my house last week. I'm loving it here!

kyledr04
AG
I'd spend all summer there if I could. We did a similar trip but went to Homer instead of Seward.
highvelocity
AG
my halibut trip was hysterial. we went 200 miles offshore. the next piece of land in the direction we were going was hawaii (lol) and then the boat broke down coming back into port. luckily a tourny boat found us and was abot to take us in

if you have the time and they're running, salmon fishing in valdez was insane. we caught a couple hundred fish in a few hours. the most fun i've ever had fishing.

have fun, i have family in anchorage that i'll be going to visit this summer and hopefully going to take a moose hunting trip later this fall / winter
AlaskanAg99
AG
Make sure you look into fishing licenses etc... they may have limits on them depending on what you're going for.

If you have time and want a unique souvenir stop in Moose Pass and go to the IRBI Knife Shop.

The weather could be wonderful or total ****, so pack accordingly. Denali and Kenai are the definition of the sticks!
agsalaska
AlaskanAg08
AG
Homesick.....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.