Outdoors
Sponsored by

Somebody needs 2 broken legs!

5,380 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AlaskanAg99
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Total detail here by me:

Obviously I know why they increased, but why were whitetail less abundant in Texas at one time?

I can think of quite a few reasons but I know you have a lot more insight as to why.
OnlyForNow
AG
They were out competed for resources with the buffalo and the landscape didn't offer as much forage for them.

Main thing imo.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I have heard that before. I recall a landowner on a lease in Junction (corporate lease that I went on a couple of hunts on) telling me that his grandad could ride on horseback and no brush was taller than him on his horse. Said the Indians used to burn everything for the buffalo and they even had a tank that was an old wallow from buffalo.

Zero idea if there is any truth to that...
OnlyForNow
AG
Unless he was 80 and thus his granddad would been 160... the buffalo were killed off a LONG time ago.

I dont know about the Indians burning stuff off on purpose for the buffalo, I do think there are stories of burning fields to get them to stamped, also more wildfires changed the landscape.
BrazosDog02
AG
Agmechanic said:

You're right.

FRY THAT MOTHER****ER

MURICA

TRUMP

THESE COLORS DONT RUN
NOW WE'RE TALKIN'!

AND YELLING! YES! ANGREHS!

(***** I think this is how Trump got in...)
La Fours
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Total detail here by me:

Obviously I know why they increased, but why were whitetail less abundant in Texas at one time?

I can think of quite a few reasons but I know you have a lot more insight as to why.
Over hunting due to no conservation laws/hunting regulations in place. It wasn't just in Texas, it was many states all over the US.
La Fours
AG
meggy09 said:

Laugh/cry. You don't see the difference between shooting 1 of ~450 birds left in the wild and one where there is +10,000?

What bird has only 450 left in the wild? Bald Eagles are not an endangered species. It was delisted a few years ago.*** Current estimates have the wild population at around 70,000 in North America.

*** - Learned this from listening to The MeatEater Podcast from 2 weeks ago in the discussion about grizzly bears.
La Fours
AG
Not justifying what that dumbass kid did because the bird is no longer listed on the ESA. He deserves to be prosecuted for any laws he broke in committing that act.
Sean98
AG
La Fours said:

meggy09 said:

Laugh/cry. You don't see the difference between shooting 1 of ~450 birds left in the wild and one where there is +10,000?

What bird has only 450 left in the wild? Bald Eagles are not an endangered species. It was delisted a few years ago.*** Current estimates have the wild population at around 70,000 in North America.

*** - Learned this from listening to The MeatEater Podcast from 2 weeks ago in the discussion about grizzly bears.
He was talking about whooping cranes
La Fours
AG
Ah, that makes more sense. Thanks.
AlaskanAg99
AG
It's still a federally protected critter and was a female. They rescued the eaglet as the male partner wasn't feeding it. Looks like it'll be raised in a foster nest in San Antonio. **** this kid. He faces jail time and I hope he lands in it.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.