Outdoors
Sponsored by

Somebody needs 2 broken legs!

5,396 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AlaskanAg99
SunrayAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/02/23/texas-teen-charged-after-allegedly-killing-bald-eagle-with-pellet-rifle.html

They also need to come up with a better charge than a misdemeanor!
MouthBQ98
AG
Just heard about that. What morons.
Sean98
AG
Real dumb. Punish them.

...but still pretty much just a buzzard with a good PR department.
Hoss
AG
If I understood the article correctly the only thing he's being charged with is hunting without a landowner's consent. I thought it was a crime to shoot a bald eagle? Why is he not being charged for actually shooting it?
schmellba99
AG
Sean98 said:

Real dumb. Punish them.

This.

Way too much fuss over bald eagles. They arent rare and arent really anything special outside of being the national bird.
ENG
AG
dumb kid, albeit a 17 year old kid. Just a dumb thing but I am with Sean, a buzzard, heron, even a mockingbird would not get such notice.
mneisch
AG
The misdemeanor is a charge from the state. I believe additional federal charges will be forthcoming as the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act, Migratory Bird Treaty Act and the Lacey Act are all federal laws. Those are the ones that include stiff penalties, and I can't imagine USFWS is going to be gentle (though it is a minor).
Rhwill1973
Couple of differing thoughts. First - Kid is an idiot. He should have known not to do it and that he'd get caught. I think the news article appeals to all the bleeding heart types. Any kid that had a pellet gun knows that it would take more than one shot to kill anything bigger than a sparrow. So most of us knew it took multiple shots. Parents should have taught the kid better. However, animals are not people. I don't think we should crucify him.

Closing thought. I don't know many ranchers who would not shoot an eagle on sight. Shoot, shovel, and shut up.
Same goes for coyotes, wolves, mountain lions, etc.
zooguy96
Ok, I think we can all say that the kid was an idiot and shouldn't have done this.

That being said - Losses of species diversity have unintended consequences on habitat and biodiversity (I'm not saying this is the case with the eagle being killed).

I do think this is the case with the opinions of many people about what animals should and should not be in specific habitats (i.e. what animals people are "ok" with killing). Same with what plants should/should not be in specific habitats.

Example:

A loss of species diversity (i.e. having the right ratio of predators / prey / etc.) has caused a radical change in habitat that most would not even attribute to this. Introduced species have also caused changes.

Another example - Whitetailed deer used to be a pretty uncommon sight in Texas. Now they are extremely abundant (for obviously a variety of reasons).

Just something to think about.
aggiedent
AG
Quote:

I believe additional federal charges will be forthcoming as the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act, Migratory Bird Treaty Act and the Lacey Act are all federal laws. Those are the ones that include stiff penalties, and I can't imagine USFWS is going to be gentle (though it is a minor).

USF&W has elected not to press charges since he is a minor. Seems silly to me since he is 17 and should know better.

As for Bald Eagles being nothing but buzzards, that's mostly an urban myth. The # 1 food in the diet of Bald Eagles is live fish. I've studied Bald Eagles and extensively photographed them in Alaska. I've got hundreds of pictures of them catching live fish. A smaller number taking small rodents and various shorebirds. But yes, they will eat carrion and steal food from other fish eating birds.
OnlyForNow
AG
It's a load of bull that USFWS isn't pressing charges when they hung the kid that killed the whooping crane out to dry (rightly so)... additionally this kid knew what he did as well. He shot the eagle then came back and took feathers. A more clear violation of the MBTA than anything I've ever known about (the MBTA was originally created to curb illegal feather trade).

I understand the eagle isn't protected by the ESA any more but it is given protection by BGEPA. I hope that one of the local environmental attorneys gets hired by Sierra Club or some other nut job activist group and sues the HELL out of the kid AND the USFWS.

Equal application of the law!
proc
AG
If he was 17, then he was not a minor. BS that they won't release his name.
Potlicker
AG
One of the Houston stations had his name, photo, neighborhood, etc yesterday..
PANHANDLE10
Rhwill1973 said:

Closing thought. I don't know many ranchers who would not shoot an eagle on sight. Shoot, shovel, and shut up.
Same goes for coyotes, wolves, mountain lions, etc.

I'm with you on the eagle and the kid.

But this idea that all ranchers are shooting wolves and mountain lions and coyotes and eagles on sight is absurd. None of the ranchers I know are doing any of that.
agnerd
AG
proc said:

If he was 17, then he was not a minor. BS that they won't release his name.

Orlando David Delgado
AgEng98
aggiedent said:

As for Bald Eagles being nothing but buzzards, that's mostly an urban myth. The # 1 food in the diet of Bald Eagles is live fish. I've studied Bald Eagles and extensively photographed them in Alaska. I've got hundreds of pictures of them catching live fish. A smaller number taking small rodents and various shorebirds. But yes, they will eat carrion and steal food from other fish eating birds.

Mostly, but very much location dependent. In and around the Chesapeake Bay area they will hammer the mortalities from poultry farms. Very, very common sight.
raidernarizona
schmellba99 said:

Sean98 said:

Real dumb. Punish them.

This.

Way too much fuss over bald eagles. They arent rare and arent really anything special outside of being the national bird.
This is stupid logic and I couldn't agree less. It's our national bird for crying out loud. It was chosen as a symbol of our Nation and thus, should be treated with respect. By your logic, an American flag is just a piece of sewn cloth.

Who gives a sh*t if it eats carrion. I can see you guys crying foul, if it was some trophy WT. No different. Class A Misdemeanor is a shame. Hopefully the other poster is correct about federal charges to follow.
aggiedent
AG
Agreed. Varies by location and Bald Eagles will readily consume fresh carrion if available.

As part of a research group that has studied the diet of numerous birds including BE's, all across their range, I am very aware of that. That said, live fish is their most common food source and probably their favorite food.

Also, the idea, as some people have suggested, that Bald Eagles are average hunters at best, is 100% false.
JSKolache
AG
Crazy story from recently:
http://www.npr.org/2017/02/08/514161106/an-all-you-can-eat-buffet-bald-eagles-prey-on-farmers-chickens

TLDR: chicken farmer decides to go all free-range birds; bald eagles show up & annihilate his flock routinely; .gov grants permission to scare them away with cap guns; guy now rents out cabins to bird watchers; also seeking $$ from .gov for lost income
eric76
AG
raidernarizona said:

It's our national bird for crying out loud.

Benjamin Franklink reportedly wanted to make the turkey the national bird.

If he had been successful at that, would you think that turkey hunting should be banned?
powerbelly
AG

Quote:

This is stupid logic and I couldn't agree less. It's our national bird for crying out loud. It was chosen as a symbol of our Nation and thus, should be treated with respect. By your logic, an American flag is just a piece of sewn cloth.
The flag =/= other national symbols.

Are you against bison hunting? What about cutting down oak trees?
Sean98
AG
To be clear I think they should punish the kid. Just as they should if he poached anything else, particularly a raptor. But I don't see the need to go above and beyond that protection unless there is a bio data reason to.
tamc1956ag
S

This...POTD
eric76
AG
beefiedoubleoh said:

Crazy story from recently:
http://www.npr.org/2017/02/08/514161106/an-all-you-can-eat-buffet-bald-eagles-prey-on-farmers-chickens

TLDR: chicken farmer decides to go all free-range birds; bald eagles show up & annihilate his flock routinely; .gov grants permission to scare them away with cap guns; guy now rents out cabins to bird watchers; also seeking $$ from .gov for lost income
I'd be tempted to string wires every couple feet over where the chickens are. Maybe even make them electric so that if an eagle touches two wires at once, he gets shocked.
OnlyForNow
AG
That's illegal too.
Unemployed
AG
eric76 said:

raidernarizona said:

It's our national bird for crying out loud.

If he had been successful at that, would you think that turkey hunting should be banned?
Then we'll hunt bald eagles instead.
raidernarizona
Quote:

That is a myth, so I won't even argue that point.
Quote:

Are you against bison hunting? What about cutting down oak trees?
First off, the kid wasn't hunting was he? Secondly, those things aren't illegal. But if someone poached a bison or someone like the idiot who poisoned Auburn's oak tree...yes, I am against that.

I think it's a majestic bird, but I feel that way about all birds of prey.
I think we can all agree, the kid is a punk. His senseless, ignorant actions should be punished. And I think that any a-hole that purposefully kills an eagle should not get off easily, just like anyone who desecrates our flag.

powerbelly
AG
My point is that a bald eagle doesn't equate to the flag.

He should be penalized like he would for killing any raptor, but there should be no multiplier because it is the national bird.
raidernarizona
Then why did you mention hunting bison and oak trees? I dont see the parallel. But I agree, the flag is a more precious symbol.

The Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act specifically states what the punishment will be if you break those rules, and I'm all for enforcing those punishments. I would think as hunters and sportsmen that we would want to make examples of these cowards, and not make excuses for or lessen their offense.
Agmechanic
AG
No reason to ruin this kid's life over this. Give him the misdemeanor, allow him to work it off to keep it off his record and then move on.
BrazosDog02
AG
Why don't yall Just start a thread called "I hate America"
Agmechanic
AG
You're right.

FRY THAT MOTHER****ER

MURICA

TRUMP

THESE COLORS DONT RUN
Agmechanic
AG
BUILD THE HELL OUTTA THE BORDER WALL

THEY TOOK ER JERBS!

meggy09
AG
OnlyForNow said:

It's a load of bull that USFWS isn't pressing charges when they hung the kid that killed the whooping crane out to dry (rightly so)... additionally this kid knew what he did as well. He shot the eagle then came back and took feathers. A more clear violation of the MBTA than anything I've ever known about (the MBTA was originally created to curb illegal feather trade).

I understand the eagle isn't protected by the ESA any more but it is given protection by BGEPA. I hope that one of the local environmental attorneys gets hired by Sierra Club or some other nut job activist group and sues the HELL out of the kid AND the USFWS.

Equal application of the law!

Laugh/cry. You don't see the difference between shooting 1 of ~450 birds left in the wild and one where there is +10,000?

aggiedent said:

You're the expert, but if you're out in the wild photographing and studying bald eagles of course that's what your photos are of and that's their main food source. Sounds like confirmation bias. Next time you're up there go to a landfill and snap pics of 5 birds for every one you'd shoot in the wild. Not as glamorous though.

OnlyForNow
AG
The equivalent would be that you get drunk and run someone over in a car and the DA decides to not press charges while your peer does the same thing and gets the book thrown at them.

Biologically yes there is a difference, I'm not arguing that. I want the law applied or not applied.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.