Outdoors
Sponsored by

1380!!! Congrats FTA class of 2022 hopeful

4,240 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by SabineAg
SECeded
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BCO07
AG
That's got to be a great feeling for a parent
SECeded
Poeag
AG
what we're here extracurriculars? I had an average sat score and was somewhere near the bottom of that top 25%, but got in due to all the other activities I participated in. Hopefully she does well!
SECeded
BreNayPop
AG
Congrats
Naveronski
AG
Congrats!

1300 used to be the line for top half of your class, I guess that changed?
SECeded
BCO07
AG
Numbers like that make me really thankful that I went to a garbage high school
SunrayAg
AG
My son just found out that he was accepted last week. He was ranked number 5 in a class of 38, so not in the top 10%, and also not automatic with his test scores. But he filled the page with extracurricular activities and community service. Also focus very hard on the essays with the application. Also the ranking at the end of your junior year is more important than final ranking for college admissions purposes.
Alte Schule
Granddaughter received her letter last month!
GE
AG
Married an Aggie Lady said:

Naveronski said:

Congrats!

Yeah.
95.4650% for 1380 now.
http://blog.prepscholar.com/sat-percentiles-high-precision-2016

And if ~40,000 apply to A&M for 16,000 slots
and ~8000 are top 10% OR top 25% with a 1300+ SAT,
that leaves ~32,000 folks fighting for the last ~8000 slots.

Y'all see our excitement at not being in the group of ~32,000 applications for ~8000 slots now.
That's just the reading and math parts right? Congrats on getting her accepted. Now you've got the tough task of helping guide her to a major that will actually be able to support her upon graduation.
CharlieBrown17
AG
SAT score and extracurriculars got me in.

I was outside of the top 25% but got a 1410 composite and was SBP plus sports and a few clubs
schmellba99
AG
I was still hammered from the night before when I took my SAT. Dad had to drive me to the test. Didnt score that well. Didnt care, had put up a pretty solid ACT score already.
Puryear Playboy
AG
Wow! You did good raising that one!

Make sure she applies to join the Corps. Then send her to me!

On a serious note, admissions won't waive any rules to let her in just because she checks yes on the Corps of Cadets box...but let's just say it does help.
SECeded
Naveronski
AG
Married an Aggie Lady said:

Naveronski said:

Congrats!

Yeah.
95.4650% for 1380 now.
http://blog.prepscholar.com/sat-percentiles-high-precision-2016

And if ~40,000 apply to A&M for 16,000 slots
and ~8000 are top 10% OR top 25% with a 1300+ SAT,
that leaves ~32,000 folks fighting for the last ~8000 slots.

Y'all see our excitement at not being in the group of ~32,000 applications for ~8000 slots now.

Wow. Yeah, that's a lot different. 1300 + top half of HS class meant receiving my acceptance letter was only a formality.

Must be stressful this time of year for a lot of families.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Once it's closer to her application time and then time to join the Corps/an outfit let me know if y'all have any questions.

I highly suggest doing the spend the night program, especially since y'all are local to get a feel for an outfit or two
AgLA06
AG
Those numbers are why there is such a push to create the ability to educate more at the flagship systems. We're not providing the same opportunity today for the kids to get a decent state education that we got.

All you'll hear is that we're ruining Texas A&M's reputation and the university should be run like a private institution instead of a state University. Those same people don't realize many of them wouldn't have gotten in if they applied today. That's easy to say when you only think of yourself. The second their kids or grandkids don't get in, they suddenly change their tune.

CactusThomas
AG
I graduated in the BOTTOM 10% of my class of about 500 students.

One of my biggest regrets is not dropping out of high school and getting a GED.
3rdGenAg05
AG
Can someone please clarify two things?

1) TAMU is enrolling 16k freshman next year?!

2) EDIT: Scratch second question. Naveronski, I'm thinking a 1300 in math/verbal/writing might've been top half in your day. 1300 math/verbal would be way higher if 1380 is 95th percentile now.

My kids better hit the books instead of throwing books at each other.

A 1380 must still be way above average for TAMU. Congrats OP!
SunrayAg
AG
3rdGenAg05 said:

Can someone please clarify two things?

1) TAMU is enrolling 16k freshman next year?!

2) A 1300 math/verbal was at one point the line for top 50 percentile?...I find that very hard to believe. Top 25% even sounds low. I would've thought a 1300+ would be top 10 percentile.

My kids better hit the books instead of throwing books at each other.

A 1380 must still be way above average for TAMU. Congrats OP!
That is for the percentile of your graduating class, not score percentile.

If you are top 10% class rank of your high school graduating class, admittance is pretty much automatic.

For top 11 - 25% of high school class, there are certain test scores you need to hit to make admittance automatic.

For below 25% of high school class rank, the test scores are higher.

Also, I was told there would be 14,000 new Freshman in the Fall.
Corps_Ag12
AG
I got in with a good ACT score and joining the Corps.

Oh and my dad was friends with a regent, so that might of helped.
MouthBQ98
AG
Just curious, is 1380/2400 or 1380/1600? the new scale throws me off.
3rdGenAg05
AG
Ah, I get it. I was top 10% and clearly shouldn't have been admitted. Thanks
Lone Stranger
RE question above :Admitted and those that enroll are two very different numbers and people forget about that. As I remember it takes about 16,000 admits to get an incoming freshman enrolled class of about 9,000.

As others above have alluded the numbers games are becoming pretty strange when you think about it.

Priority: 1. top 10% as junior in high school regardless of SAT or ACT is auto in.
2. top 25% as junior in high school and SAT above 1360 = automatically in under academic admit
3. review admits----everyone left that isn't auto admit. Huge pool of kids with about any school would want. Many have partial academic scholarships to ACU, TCU, SMU, etc. but would really like to be an Aggie if they can get in....competing for a very limited number of slots
4. Blinn Team.....Not your fathers Blindergarden any more. If you didn't get selected in review, you may still get offered Blinn Team. Wrap your head around this: Kids are being offered Blinn Team this year in the 4th pool that had 1300-1400 SAT's but weren't in the top 25% of their class....but for whatever reason they other kids beat them out for those coveted review admit positions (extracurriculars, essay, etc.)

Consider: The last 2 years Blinn Teams incoming SAT average is higher than A&M's overall incoming SAT avg. Think about that. The 4th pool of students selected has a higher SAT avg than the total pool because the top 10% (and sheer numbers/volume) drags the overall incoming class avg down so much.

SECeded
AgLA06
AG
Lone Stranger said:

Consider: The last 2 years Blinn Teams incoming SAT average is higher than A&M's overall incoming SAT avg. Think about that. The 4th pool of students selected has a higher SAT avg than the total pool because the top 10% (and sheer numbers/volume) drags the overall incoming class avg down so much.

Referred as smart dumbasses (slackers) when I was in school. I've never understood why someone who scores high, but didn't care enough about school gets an advantage in admissions over those not as naturally smart, but busted their ass in school. Seems backwards (and hypocritical) to me.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
AgLA06 said:

Lone Stranger said:

Referred as smart dumbasses (slackers) when I was in school. I've never understood why someone who scores high, but didn't care enough about school gets an advantage in admissions over those not as naturally smart, but busted their ass in school. Seems backwards (and hypocritical) to me.
I was definitely in the slacker group. Very high SAT + 0 motivation got me into A&M without breaking a sweat.

But you can't fake that in law school. Apparently, I learned how to be a student somewhere in there. My class rank was worse in high school than law school by every metric.
3rdGenAg05
AG
Great point about admits vs enrollees.

Is the top 10% rule a state law or TAMU rule? If state law, how does tu get away with only letting in top 7-8% (I've heard both)?

I'm not overly concerned with all of this yet since my kids are real young, but no time like the present to learn.
SabineAg
AG
I went to an ultra competitive high school. They way they did rankings and GPA basically turned out that a quarter of a 600 person class tied for first. Long story short I was in the bottom half of the class.... Thank the lord everyday for gifting me with athletic ability
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.