Outdoors
Sponsored by

Running Holster ????

6,644 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by OhAggie98
'03ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any serious runners here have a carry solution? I have a belly band but I've never used it. I vastly prefer a kydex trigger cover

head on a swivel out there
powerbelly
AG
Fanny pack holster.
Shilo
AG
I don't have anything, but I'm interesting in finding a solution to the same issue.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Could you fit a small pistol in one of the larger SPI belts?
Nealthedestroyer
AG
Hill People Gear is what you seek...

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/CategoryID/1/ProductID/6/Default.aspx

'03ag
I want something around the waist.

I don't think the spibelt is going to hold tight enough, and I don't want it inside a zipper either.

thinking about something like this in conjunction with the belly band
frorge
AG
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0089OGWTW/ref=mp_s_a_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1487789084&sr=8-13&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=running+holster

I use this on occasion. I carry a S&W .38. It works well. You have a lot of adjustment to make it fit snugly and prevent bouncing. Opens with Velcro super easy access but very secure.

Edit. I have the small version and would probably rather have the extra small. But with mine there is plenty of room for the gun, keys, phone and wallet if I wanted to carry all of that l.
htxag09
AG
Not much help to you but I used to carry a Ruger lcp with the pocket clip just inside my compression shorts. But as I've been running more and longer, i.e. standard runs of more than 10 miles, I've kept everything at home. No gun, headphones, phone, anything. Just my watch.
dr_boogs
AG
OP - listen to Neal. HPG's runner's packs are the best. Get the one he linked.
tamu2009
AG
i got the modular belly band from Crossbreed and I like it so far. the second revision made the band longer so it wraps around your body and then over the piece of kydex and velcros back to hold the holster in tighter. I carry a glock 42 and 43 with it and haven't ever felt it was going to fall out.
'03ag
for running, general carry, or both?
JSKolache
AG
look at a versa carry, it might work for you
Chetos
AG
so fanny packs are out and breast packs are in???
P.H. Dexippus
AG
This topic is relevant to my interests. The one time I was mugged was during the cool down after a run. I've just gotten used to no cool downs or warm ups.
OhAggie98
AG
I also have Crossbreed's modular belly band. Has the kydex holster that you can position in whatever position you want. I find it to be comfortable. The elastic helps with the retention tension, as the kydex doesn't hold as firmly as I'm used to. Combined with the elastic, it holds great.

Crossbreed Modular Belly Band
Shilo
AG
That looks more along the lines of what I had in mind. I may have to try that.
dr_boogs
AG
Chetos said:

so fanny packs are out and CHEST packs are in???

FIFY......and the answer is yes.
tamu2009
AG
I haven't run long distances with it but the short jogs I've taken with it haven't worried me at all. It's very comfortable to carry with in gym shorts.
gibberish
AG
I tried the pistol wear PT-one, I would not recommend it. I felt the pouch was too big for the size of the pistol, and is super thick neoprene so gets very hot.

That crossbreed band looks interesting, I may try it as well.

'03ag
I just ordered the crossbreed so we'll see.

FYI they have a standard 10% discount for NRA members. I should ask more often.
'03ag
Side question. Do you guys open carry when you run? Would you want to?
powerbelly
AG
'03ag said:

Side question. Do you guys open carry when you run? Would you want to?
I never open carry, but that is just a personal preference.
civilized05
AG
I'd recommend the Pistolwear PT line of holsters for jogging. With that being said, jogging in general with anything but a subcompact is pretty miserable, regardless of the holster.

I personally wear the PT1 when I'm out exercising or wearing running shorts/windpants/sweats/etc. with an XDs. It's pretty comfy and secure and I don't have to worry about sweat getting all over the gun or it rubbing me raw (in a bad way). I wear mine a little lower on the waist, so there is some slight awkwardness when bending over or squatting down, but that can be remedied by moving it up on the belly.

I have thought about getting the PT2 since it's supposedly a little smaller footprint, but the PT1 has served me well over the years and has become my defacto holster for in and out of the car. Depending on what you plan on carrying, you could even go with the Trump Card style holster which looks even smaller than the PT line.

While I like the minimalist of the Crossbreed brand, I don't see how that doesn't rub on you with intense side to side motion or get covered in so much sweat that you've got to break it down to clean it after every exercise session.
'03ag
I don't either, but it's most likely the more comfortable way to carry while running. I always wear an undershirt when carrying and I think it would be more comfortable to have the gun inside my running shorts but outside my shirt.

I messed around with a cheap belly band last night and with a fairly tight shirt the gun grip printed a lot. But most people are just going to assume it's a phone. I'm thinking very few will even notice the grip sticking up out of my shorts. Fewer still will know it's a gun. Especially right now when I'm mostly running as dusk or later.
civilized05
AG
That is one good thing about the PT...because it's got thicker material it doesn't really print at all. The cost is a little steep, though, which is one of the main reasons I haven't purchased another one.

Depending on how far and with what frequency you plan on running, you may start to chafe at the main contact areas while wearing the belly band over your shirt. Just a thought.
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/02/22/arlington-robbery-suspect-shot-by-armed-victim/

BUTTERS!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHA
proudtxag
AG
I have the same problem and I have been thinking about using a remora/sticky holster with a running belt. My concern is the retention of the running belt and not being able to adjust it like a belly band.
O.G.
Assuming you run with fairly small handgun, there are some running belts at most running stores that should work. A buddy of mine uses one with his LPC, one of the smaller Glocks should fit as well.
'03ag
Update

Ordered the crossbreed belly band. The newest one has an extra piece of the band that wraps around the holster portion. I don't know if it helps but it certainly feels more secure, and doesn't affect access to the gun at all.

Ran 3 miles in Wednesday with the band over my compression shorts. Riding low enough so that my running shorts covered everything but the grip of the gun. It's doable but the gun definitely dug into my spare tire, and my hip a little. Wore it about 4 o'clock.

This morning it was just cool enough to survive the run in a wind vest. So I wore the belt over my running shirt as well. Gun about 1 o'clock. I could've gone all day in this configuration and not noticed.
Mateo84
AG
Anybody use something like the Smart Carry for running?
OhAggie98
AG
'03ag said:

It's doable but the gun definitely dug into my spare tire, and my hip a little.
Try adjusting the cant that the holster attaches to the velcro. I've noticed if I have it slightly off from what I'm used to, it digs in more than if I adjust it a little. I did notice the same thing you did, with a shirt under it, I can wear it all day without issue if need be.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.