Outdoors
Sponsored by

60 Minutes

3,623 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by DannyDuberstein
AgsMnn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone see the intro just now?

Talking about Remington 700 trigger issues, but they put an AR box behind the rifle.
aggiesq
AG
is this essentially a re-hash of the story cnbc or someone did about a year ago?
Colt98
AG
Here's a noble thought... dont point a loaded gun at someone. If it happens to go off, it won't kill someone.
fightingfarmer09
aggiesq said:

is this essentially a re-hash of the story cnbc or someone did about a year ago?

Yes. Seems like it.
Muzzleblast
Communist Broadcasting System.
45-70Ag
AG
Just saw it
I know it's 60 minutes but damn.

I know don't point the muzzle at anything you don't want to shoot but a weapon firing on its own is scary. And Remington has known about this for four decades, kind of sickening.

Having said all that, not sure I trust 60 minutes..........is this issue really happening?

I don't own a Remington 700.
Pooh Ah
AG
I watched it. The boy is guilty for loading a firearm intentionally, and poining the firearm at a human being. Whether he pulled the trigger or not is not important, perhaps to the degree of murder but he killed his brother.

That bring said, Remington has a huge problem that they are liable for. They are responsible for their trigger which is unsafe and is causing great harm.

Neches21
Quote:

Having said all that, not sure I trust 60 minutes..........is this issue really happening?

Yes it really is happening.
It happened to me. Fixed it with a Timeny trigger.
Every 700 made before 2014 is under some type of safety recall. Even triggers after the walker, like the x mark, are under recall.
Texas 1836
AG
Neches21 said:

Quote:

Yes it really is happening.
It happened to me. Fixed it with a Timeny trigger.
Every 700 made before 2014 is under some type of safety recall. Even triggers after the walker, like the x mark, are under recall.
That is 1/2 true, which isn't very useful.

https://www.remington.com/support/safety-center/remington-model-700-and-model-seven-notice

PRODUCTS: Remington Arms Company, LLC ("Remington") is voluntarily recalling Remington Model 700 and Model Seven rifles with X-Mark Pro ("XMP") triggers, manufactured from May 1, 2006 to April 9, 2014.

bigdog1
Happened to me in December. Had a 700 BDL. Had taken shells out after firing at a turkey, but trigger went off after forwarding bolt when on safety. Did it several times. Took it to a gunsmith in Coleman, and he new exactly what the problem was. Obviously very dangerous, and Remington told me they wouldn't do anything to my trigger until ruling by a judge that the triggers are faulty.
Neches21
Quote:

That is 1/2 true, which isn't very useful.

So the Remington 700 came out in 1962 with the Walker trigger. This is the trigger that has been behind the bulk of the unintended discharge reports. Remington replaced that trigger with the x-mark in 2006. In 2014 Remington began recalling both walker and xmark triggers...thus, every 700 made before 2014 is under recall for unsafe conditions
https://www.google.com/amp/www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/12/robert-farago/breaking-remington-agrees-to-replace-triggers-in-all-model-700-rifles/amp/?client=safari
Texas 1836
AG
That article is from 2 1/2 years ago.

Remington's site states they will cover a specific time period, not going back to '62.

I have no idea what happened in 2006 to their triggers. But recalls happen like that all the time. They figure out a sub or a new supplier did something that caused the problem.

Which makes sense because I'd never heart it was a problem until the last 5-10 years. I never heard it was an issue for the first 40 years.
Neches21
Read details below.
http://remingtonfirearmsclassactionsettlement.com

here are additional details to clarify Remington's pagehttps://www.google.com/amp/www.cnbc.com/amp/2015/12/08/want-your-remington-gun-fixed-heres-what-you-need-to-know.html?client=safari

Quote:

Which makes sense because I'd never heart it was a problem until the last 5-10 years. I never heard it was an issue for the first 40 years.

You might not have heard of it before, but it has been a long occurring issue...not widespread of course but it's been there nevertheless. The internet has helped spread awareness about the problems.
IDAGG
AG
There was a thread about the 700 trigger on this forum a few years ago. There were several posters that stated it had happened to them personally or to someone they knew well.
Texas 1836
AG
Neches, my point is that The Truth About Guns isn't fixing the triggers, Remington is.

And I don't think Remington is replacing Walker triggers, only the XMP triggers, manufactured from May 1, 2006 to April 9, 2014.

I just didn't want someone has an old 700 try to get theirs replaced, or think they need to.

If you know that Remington is replacing older ones, please share the info. And I'm not saying that to be a jerk. I have several older 700's and would like to know for myself.
Neches21
Quote:

if you know that Remington is replacing older ones, please share the info.
I keep posting the info, but I dont know that you're reading it.
Here is the link again:
Recall Info

Here is the low down:
If you own a Remington 700 that was made before 2006, then it contains a walker trigger. The walker trigger utilizes a part called the "trigger connector" which is separate from the actual trigger and sear. This part is the problem. Remington has not admitted that this is a problem and are thus not calling this a "recall" but they will either replace your old Walker trigger or reimburse you if you had it replaced in the past....so it sounds a lot like a recall to me.

If you own a 700 made between 2006 and 2014, then you have the original X Mark Pro trigger. Remington has a straight up recall on this trigger and they admit that due to "manufacturing issues" or "excess bonding agents" that these guns can unintentionally fire and they should ceased to be used and returned to Remington.

They will replace Walker Triggers (1962-2006) and original X-Mark Pro Triggers (2006-2014) with a new X Mark Triggers (hopefully these are safe?)

My 700 was a hand me down that had been used for years without incident until the one time that it went off in the tree stand after I took the safety off. Fortunately, I had it pointed in a safe direction. Its scary to think how many times in the past I have un-loaded that gun (which required taking the safety off). Was it always pointed in a safe direction?

I'm not bashing the 700 or Remington (although they allegedly knew about these safety issues and did nothing for decades) If you have an older 700 I would order a Timney trigger online and install it yourself. Thats what I did and I'm happy. Its a better trigger all the way around.....AND ALWAYS PRACTICE GUN SAFETY
Texas 1836
AG
Neches21 said:

Quote:

if you know that Remington is replacing older ones, please share the info.
I keep posting the info, but I dont know that you're reading it.
Here is the link again:
Recall Info

Here is the low down:
If you own a Remington 700 that was made before 2006, then it contains a walker trigger. The walker trigger utilizes a part called the "trigger connector" which is separate from the actual trigger and sear. This part is the problem. Remington has not admitted that this is a problem and are thus not calling this a "recall" but they will either replace your old Walker trigger or reimburse you if you had it replaced in the past....so it sounds a lot like a recall to me.

If you own a 700 made between 2006 and 2014, then you have the original X Mark Pro trigger. Remington has a straight up recall on this trigger and they admit that due to "manufacturing issues" or "excess bonding agents" that these guns can unintentionally fire and they should ceased to be used and returned to Remington.

They will replace Walker Triggers (1962-2006) and original X-Mark Pro Triggers (2006-2014) with a new X Mark Triggers (hopefully these are safe?)

My 700 was a hand me down that had been used for years without incident until the one time that it went off in the tree stand after I took the safety off. Fortunately, I had it pointed in a safe direction. Its scary to think how many times in the past I have un-loaded that gun (which required taking the safety off). Was it always pointed in a safe direction?

I'm not bashing the 700 or Remington (although they allegedly knew about these safety issues and did nothing for decades) If you have an older 700 I would order a Timney trigger online and install it yourself. Thats what I did and I'm happy. Its a better trigger all the way around.....AND ALWAYS PRACTICE GUN SAFETY
Thanks. Good to know.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Definitely an issue there, although I didn't care for the brother-killing-brother story they weaved into it. I feel zero sympathy for someone that got angry and pulled a gun on his brother. The moment you point that gun at him in anger, it going off is intentional murder as far as I'm concerned.
Twelfthman99
AG
I received the notice on my 700 SPS Tactical .308. I shipped it back to them and they changed out the trigger and shipped both ways for free. Only down side for me is I had to take off the optic and furniture. Outside of not having my rifle for a couple of months and having to re-zero my scope, they made it as painless as possible.
JSKolache
AG
I'll be durned. Almost shot my foot off in high school sitting in a tree stand when putting my 700 back on safe. My dad tried a few times to recreate it & he wasn't comfortable with it. Had some trigger work done after that & all has been well for last 20 yrs or so. This is on a 70s model 700.
GSS
Remington response to 60 Minutes

"On February 19, 2017, 60 Minutes broadcast a segment about Remington Arms Company, LLC and two tragic incidents which occurred in 2011. In narrating the details related to each incident, 60 Minutes omitted and misrepresented key facts which would have allowed the viewer to have an accurate and complete understanding about each. For example, 60 Minutes knew but did not disclose that both of the rifles in question were examined and tested by forensic scientists employed by each state's crime lab and were found to be in proper working order. Remington provides this response to offer a more complete record of the relevant facts and a comprehensive overview of the incidents described in the story, and the recall which was at the center of the story."

Much more at the link...
NRA Life
TSRA Life
DannyDuberstein
AG
I noted this when I was watching the segment. When introducing the story, they referred to the rifle used in the brother-on-brother murder and said the trigger was faulty. Later in the segment, they back off and just say "this particular remington 700 which has the trigger that has been subject to the issues/recall". They definitely tried their best to go for shock value and avoid discussing the fact that his particular weapon tested out fine. In the meantime, they kept going back to the emotional argument of the grieving father who is certainly motivated to hope his remaining son is not an intentional murderer.

I do think there is an issue in general, but that story was a classic case of using a combination of emotion and playing a little fast and loose with the full facts to make an argument.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.