Outdoors
Sponsored by

Warfarin approved for feral hog poisoning in Texas

22,860 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ursusguy
TexasAggie_02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.reporternews.com/story/money/industries/agriculture/2017/02/17/texas-ag-commissioner-approves-poison-feral-hogs/98057838/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=

How much warfarin will be transferred to the meat? How much would be safe for human consumption? Legally, who's liable if you put poison out, and your neighbor eats the hogs.
bdgol07
AG
This seems like a slippery slope
Poeag
AG
Seems like a bad deal that could have negative consequences on scavengers as well
MouthBQ98
AG
Poisoning things that are regularly hunted and consumed seems not well thought out.
TAMUallen
AG
That's probably not the best method but an effective one nonetheless
MouthBQ98
AG
Isn't that that heart drug they discontinued because of excessive bleeding.
BCO07
AG
No, it's a blood thinner that's used regularly. High doses causes animals to bleed out.
BCO07
AG
I guess there's worse ways to die as it's probably painless, but sounds like a good way to kill lots of animals unintentionally
TexasAggie_02
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

It's Coumadin. Its also commonly used in rat poison
IslandAg76
AG
Warfarin (Coumadin) is an anti-coagulant which is most effective when the target ingests small daily doses--5 days or more.
Many people took this to decrease the chance of forming clots (stroke) when afflicted with certain maladies or in advance of some procedures (often cardiac). One larger single dose is not often effective..requires multiple feedings thus the second hand effect to "predators" is usually minimal unless you eat the pork daily. Doesn't mean there can be no effect and I'm sure they have done some more studies on this.

Quote:

A predator
feeding daily (or at least
frequently) on rodents that have tissue residues or stomachs
filled with toxic bait can be a
dversely affected. A single feed-
ing by a predator on the bait itself or on an affected target
species will not impact the predatorjust as a single feeding
will not impact the target species.

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1087&context=vpc15

Newer rat baits (anti-coagulants) are more of a problem as a single feeding can cause problems--they found ways to cause the chemical to persist in the body for a couple weeks.
AND..there is a newer neurologic acting bait which can be a real problem as there is no effective treatment (yet)
GSS
TexasAggie_02 said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Years ago an elderly relative was responding to hog damage by fencing off a small area, and putting a bucket of bait inside. When asked what it was, he replied "rat poison". I asked "will it kill hogs?"....he replied "I dunno, but I bet it will make them sick...". He was a pioneer in hog poisoning .

It will be interesting to read the basis for warfarin/coumadin being approved for hogs.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Tom Doniphon
They could introduce cholera into the herds and wipe most all of them all out... but it's (swine fever) also an indiscriminate killer that doesn't know the difference in feral and food swine.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but they're damn sure a big problem. This seems worth a try anyway.
SharkinAg
AG
So what about all of the scavengers that clean up these hogs?
Oogway
Quote:

Doesn't mean there can be no effect and I'm sure they have done some more studies on this.

Perhaps, but do the people that make the decisions pay attention to the studies or just roll with it?
skelso
AG
If you disagree with the use of poison to control feral pig population, here's a petition you can sign.

https://www.change.org/p/texas-hog-hunters-association-help-stop-the-program-of-introducing-a-new-warfarin-based-pesticide-to-control-feral-hogs?recruiter=684019799&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_facebook_responsive&utm_term=mob-xs-no_src-custom_msg
ursusguy
AG
That is the part that bugs me......that is not the chemical the WS, TPWD and A&M have been researching for several years. Specifically looking at secondary effects. I follow these things very closely, and the abrupt nature bugs me.
allMondjoy
Damn, I take that stuff everyday!
BCO07
AG
It's such a pita. I can't wait for better coverage/generics of eliquis and xarelto
PharmD4
AG
Who's going to monitor the INR???
GSS
ursusguy said:

That is the part that bugs me......that is not the chemical the WS, TPWD and A&M have been researching for several years. Specifically looking at secondary effects. I follow these things very closely, and the abrupt nature bugs me.
Last "feral hog control" seminar I attended (early 2016?), the only bio control discussed / in development was a contraceptive of some sort.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
ursusguy
AG
Contraceptives in an open population (wildlife management in general) should be summarily laughed at and move on the next option. If you are on a island or high fence, alright, maybe.

The previous efforts were related more to Sodium nitrite.
Tudster
AG
GSS said:

ursusguy said:

Last "feral hog control" seminar I attended (early 2016?), the only bio control discussed / in development was a contraceptive of some sort.
Shooting them in the nuts!!
Stasco
AG
GSS said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Years ago an elderly relative was responding to hog damage by fencing off a small area, and putting a bucket of bait inside. When asked what it was, he replied "rat poison". I asked "will it kill hogs?"....he replied "I dunno, but I bet it will make them sick...". He was a pioneer in hog poisoning .

It will be interesting to read the basis for warfarin/coumadin being approved for hogs.

Just to add some additional color to this story, the relative GSS is talking about is one of the most unsuspecting multi-millionaires you'll ever meet.
bdgol07
AG
PharmD4 said:

Who's going to monitor the INR???

Underrated post
pnsagdad
MouthBQ98 said:

Poisoning things that are regularly hunted and consumed seems not well thought out.

Are you talking about the hogs? Because obviously you're not a landowner that's had his pasture torn to wasteland or his pecan orchard destroyed, or his crop turned to waste.

Fun to shoot? Yeah. Worth it for the pain and misery they have caused farmers and ranchers? Hell no. Poiseon em away.

montanagriz
S
Why not invest in big hog traps/pens? Catch 20 or more at a time. Technology is advanced but most effective means would be trapping and I dont think that market has been tapped effectively. I think so much money in hunting them a collective effort to eradicate hasnt happened.

I have seen a few pens circular with cameras and remote trap door browsing internet that catch 20 at a time. That seems effective, safe, and could be lucrative or at least a way to use meat for something instead of rotting carcasses from poison.
montanagriz
S
I want to know how this poison will effect humans, rabbits, squirrels, coons, and deer etc, what about scavengers feeding on a bunch of dead carcasses? What about domestic dogs feeding on infected carcasses?
Funky Winkerbean
AG
pnsagdad said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Are you talking about the hogs? Because obviously you're not a landowner that's had his pasture torn to wasteland or his pecan orchard destroyed, or his crop turned to waste.

Fun to shoot? Yeah. Worth it for the pain and misery they have caused farmers and ranchers? Hell no. Poiseon em away.

And when you get sued because your neighbor gets ill from consuming a hog you poisoned?
GinaLinetti
AG
BCO07 said:

I guess there's worse ways to die as it's probably painless, but sounds like a good way to kill lots of animals unintentionally

Yeah. I don't think bleeding internally is painless.

I haven't read any research on it so I can't really comment. I just hope, like many others, it doesn't kill a lot of scavengers and dogs inadvertently.
chris1515
AG
I feel like this might be effective in eliminating a single group of hogs that are causing problems in one location, but this isn't going to be practical on a large scale.

It bothers me that the announcement indicates they are stopping research on any other solutions. I guess the Ag Commish is pretty confident that this is the silver bullet.
Muzzleblast
Sounds like a great way to painfully kill dogs out here in the country.

Not to mention coyotes and bob cats that do more good than harm.

I hate hogs. I shoot them frequently but this may be the worst idea I've heard in a while.

Wonder what the effect on buzzards, cara cara, and eagles will be?
BCO07
AG
I've had patients bleeding from everywhere you can think of due to too much warfarin and pain wasn't an issue. Symptoms are an anemia picture, dizzy, tired, short of breath
aggiedent
AG
Quote:

What does being a landowner have to do with the common sense in his post? I'm a land owner and hogs have done tremendous damage to parts of our property. They are pretty much shot on site. That said, I'd never put poison down knowing that my neighbors (and 3 guys with a lease on our property) use the smaller ones for food. Good way to get someone killed.
EMY92
AG
CherryLodes said:

BCO07 said:

Yeah. I don't think bleeding internally is painless.

From seeing my mother when she had severe internal bleeding (almost died), it wasn't painful. Just got very weak.
TexasAggie_02
AG
From the article:

Quote:

According to experts familiar with the issue, warfarin is a logical choice for hog toxicant, because it is effective in swine but requires much higher dosage levels to potentially affect other wildlife populations or livestock.
I would like to know more about the dosage, and how much of it is transferred into the carcass. The part that bothers me, is that this is saying that it's more effective in swine than in other mammals. Swine are often used in pharmaceutical research and heart valve transplants b/c they react similarly to humans.

Maybe eating a warfarin hog is negligible for a young healthy person. But what about an older person that is already taking warfarin, or other drugs that it might react with.

I did find this just now:
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_damage/feral_swine/pdfs/managing-feral-pigs.pdf

from page 41:
Quote:

Toxicants are an effective and important tool for pig control in some countries, Australia and New Zealand in particular. Warfarin, an anticoagulant widely used as a rodent toxicant, has been used to control and nearly eliminate wild pig populations in Australia (Saunders et al. 1990). However, because of secondary poisoning and other environmental concerns, warfarin is not currently an option in the United States.
Quote:

More recently, researchers in Australia have developed the product PIGOUT, a bait containing the compound 1080, to achieve population reduction of at least 73% (Cowled et al. 2006a). PIGOUT is designed to attract wild pigs and not other native wildlife species in Australia. During trials in Australia, which has no native midsized generalist mammals and thus is an environment where speciesspecific baits are viable, the product has shown great promise (Cowled et al. 2006b). Unfortunately, research in Texas demonstrated that many nontarget species (mostly midsized generalist mammals) would be adversely impacted by toxicant-laced PIGOUT baits in North American ecosystems, and thus it is currently not a viable alternative in the United States (Campbell et al. 2006).

More about the bait approved in Texas:
https://louisianabowhunter.com/new-feral-hog-bait-approved-by-epa/

Quote:

The bait is made by a company out of Colorado called Kaput. It is fed to the feral pigs for three to six weeks using a specific type feeder that only a feral pig can get its head inside to feed on the bait.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.