Outdoors
Sponsored by

Torn ACL's are (usually) outdoors.

7,037 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ursusguy
BigHead 04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Everyone responds a little differently to narcotics. I only took a few in the first few days post op. They worked great...except for the constipation. I tried everything oral that I could with no luck. About day 8 I gave in and did an enema.

Only I couldn't reach my own ass. So my dad had to do it. At that point all we could do was laugh. Laughed so hard I damn near spray painted my moms floral wallpaper brown.

So yeah. Easy on the pain meds if you're like me.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
drummer0415
AG
Small update. My surgery is scheduled for the 23rd, about a week and a half from now. My swelling is going down and I'm slowly regaining some range of motion. I can also walk with just one crutch on my bum knee side for a while, but not quite all day yet. Doctor says the swelling should be 99% gone and I should be walking with no crutches by the time I come in for surgery on the 23rd.

RealTalk said:

I medicated with beer, though. But that was only after each PT session.

I've been on a heavy diet of beer and ibuprofen since the injury. The only problem is in the instructions for my surgery, it says no alcohol or ibuprofen for 1 week before the surgery. That's going to be a rough week.
ENG
AG
It might be best to post my experience AFTER your surgery. My final surgery was patellar graft that performs well and seemed to be short recovery. Pre surgery PT does help for sure. The more the supporting muscles are compensating the better.
ENG
AG
Another thing, pay close attention to post surgery range of motion PT
drummer0415
AG
10 days after tearing my ACL, I made it through the day without crutches today, and I walk quit a bit for my work. Trying to rehab it and gain as much strength back as possible before my surgery on the 23rd. I'm happy with my progress so far.
DuckDown2013
AG
Nice! Rehabbing pre-surgery is a big deal, so keep it up!
drummer0415
AG
Had surgery this morning. Doctor said all went well. Knee is sorta painful still, but I get to take Vicodin every 4 hours so that's nice.
ENG
AG
What procedure did you have done?
tx4guns
AG
The mountain at Big Sky claimed another victim last Friday. Ruptured Patellar Tendon. Surgery on March 22nd. Hit some iced over moguls and lost control. Heard/felt a loud pop, and couldn't bend my knee. It hurts and is swollen up like a cantaloupe. Long recovery ahead.
GottaRide
S
Not sure how I missed this thread when it came out, but some of you may remember my knee and leg injury two years ago. One thing that helped me more than anything else was walking in a pool once I was released to weight bearing. The buoyancy made me feel less pain with each step and the water resistance did wonders to help build my strength back.
drummer0415
AG
Since the thread got bumped, I'll give a quick update.

I was on crutches for exactly a week after surgery. After that I walked with a heavy limp for about a week. Tomorrow will be exactly 3 weeks since surgery and I now walk 90% normal. Still working on getting some of my range of motion back, but other than that the knee feels really good and strong and I'm happy so far with my recovery.

Side note, it's amazing how quickly you can lose muscle when you don't use it. I could look at my legs and easily see a visual difference in the two. My left left was much smaller from the muscle loss of not using it for so long. I'm working hard at getting that muscle back now.

Edit to add: Sorry to hear about your injury tx4guns. I know the pain and level of inconvenience that comes with an injury like that. Good luck with your recovery.
ursusguy
AG
Like I said, fall asleep on the CPM machine for 8 hours. You'll get range of motion back real fast.
Chef Demas 2020
AG
I tore my right ACL and meniscus in 8th grade and the doctor recommended waiting a year or two for surgery due to my growth plates not being closed. I played baseball and basketball with a torn ACL all of Freshman year and had surgery the following summer. My doctor was in Temple so I only went for strength tests to see if I was clear or not. The only PT I did was falling asleep in that stupid motion machine and then I would ride a stationary bike while awake (hours on hours). I was back to sprinting and working out in 3 months. Haven't had any issues since.

Honestly, a week after I tore it my knee felt completely normal and stayed that way for over a year. The only uh oh I had was at a baseball tournament one weekend I planted wrong and my knee swelled up like a balloon....I am pretty sure that is when I tore my meniscus....stupid me played 6 more games on it that weekend.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
GottaRide said:

Not sure how I missed this thread when it came out, but some of you may remember my knee and leg injury two years ago. One thing that helped me more than anything else was walking in a pool once I was released to weight bearing. The buoyancy made me feel less pain with each step and the water resistance did wonders to help build my strength back.
Totally agree with this. Blew out my acl skiing several years ago. The treadmill in the pool definitely helped me the most.
2007fightintexasaggie
AG
This thread is really helping my psyche for what will be my first ski trip next January. I did the whole ACL tear & surgery from a football injury in high school and it wasn't fun. Any of you novice ski lovers have any recommendations to enjoy the trip but to also not end up with another damaged knee? Never bee skiing before so aside from lessons and bunny slopes, I'm not too crazy about the upcoming experience.
ursusguy
AG
If your legs are getting tired, it is time to stop. I tore my ACL skiing.
ENG
AG
I didn't want to post this initially but here is my torn ACL experience. Good to see you are doing well.

I tore my ACL during a company flag football game in January 2013. I only know this from a confirmation MRI I had the following Monday, orthopedic surgeon said complete tear and started offering options for surgery. A little kink in the works was a sports hernia that I needed repair on in the mean time. I had to go in for that surgery first then wait 6 weeks to consider anything on the knee due to the projected rehab that was coming and the stress it would put on hernia repair.

I had hernia surgery in early march. All went well and never looked back.

Now the kneeHe gave me 3 options; allograft (cadaver) replacement, patellar graft (think RG3) and a graft from my hamstring. He weighed heavy on the allograft due to the fact that it is less invasive and recovery time was minimal. This is very common with people that are not as active as they once were, think people in their mid 40's. He did mention that the patellar graft is most popular of the three for professional athletes, that in the long run it is the strongest. This does come with the risk of constant pain in your patellar region.

I went with the allograft. I had this surgery in May and was up on my leg the next day, walking gingerly with the aid of crutches. This was outpatient surgery, scope only and took about 3 hours. I felt good about everything but was in pain. Due to my preference, my PT worked me hard. At about a week out, swelling was still there and was in tremendous pain. My PT was a go getter and gave me a hard time for being a wimp. 10 days out I couldn't take it and visited my Ortho. He saw the swelling and wanted to drain it in his office. I sat there watching him put that needle in my knee in three different places, he couldn't get much. He wanted me in the sugery center that evening to drain through scope, put me under again. After that fun little procedure he didn't let me leave. My knee had developed an infection, this was a Monday.

Wednesday they had to go in and clean things out, which included taking out the zombie ACL graft. They kept me a few more days and had one more procedure that Friday to clean one more time and released me that evening. During that stay I had a PIC line installed for my six weeks of IV antibiotics. It turns out, after all the cultures came back, I had a staph infection. Very heavy doses of antibiotics followed. Then I became an infectious disease patient, not a knee injury, that became secondary. I was damn lucky to keep my leg and a doctor friend told me that could have gone bad quickly if they would not have been so aggressive.

Two weeks later I started running a fever, off to the ER and another 5 day hospital stay. They could not find out the cause but they plucked that PIC line out to rule out infection on that. In that stay I had another PIC line put in the other arm. I was released only after my fever subsided, never really found out what caused it. They think it was a reaction to the antibiotics, they switched it. I felt much better from that point on. Infection was cleared and PIC line was removed six weeks after zombie day happened.

I had to wait 4-6 months to get another knee surgery to let the bones heal up for the graft to take. This time I chose the patellar graft. I had that surgery in October 2013. I was amazed how much my right leg had atrophied. This one took and I hit PT like a madman. In that whole mess I lost 20+ lbs and looked like a..wait for it..infectious disease patient. I am back to the weight pre flag football game. I trained for a triathlon the following summer that really made me hit the bike which helped a lot.

In summary, not sure what caused the infection.the cadaver ACL, the hospital, the recover or just dumb ass luck. Personally I just could not go back to the allograft. He did say that the infection rate for that surgery is twice that of the others but it was like instead of 0.5% it was 1%, not sure of the exact numbers. I guess I was that one in a hundred.

and like ursus said, the CPM became my sleep aid for a while.

over 3 years out, i feel pretty much normal.
ENG
AG
sorry so long
Max06
AG
When you are getting set up for you skis have the tech set up the bindings and then back off a couple clicks. It will make your skis pop off easier, but that will help prevent you from falling/getting caught up in them during a fall.

I tore my ACL skiing, which was caused by my skis not popping off during a tumble.

I did patellar graft to repair, ACL was fine after PT but I dealt with patellar tendinitis for a good year to 18 months post-op. I was given the option of hamstring vs. patella, and considering my activity level I chose patellar as that's what the athletes do.

ETA: find an IceMan cooler to use post-op. It made a WORLD of difference for me. They are RX only, and insurance usually wont cover them. However, you can usually find one used from someone else. I got mine from another Texagger, and then passed it on to a different Texagger when he was going in to ACL repair.
drummer0415
AG
2007fightintexasaggie said:

Any of you novice ski lovers have any recommendations to enjoy the trip but to also not end up with another damaged knee?

I will be getting a set of these to wear when I get back to riding my dirt bike, in order to help prevent any future/further injuries. Might be something you want to look into for skiing.

http://www.podactive.com/k8-details/
GottaRide
S

This thread is really helping my psyche for what will be my first ski trip next January. I did the whole ACL tear & surgery from a football injury in high school and it wasn't fun. Any of you novice ski lovers have any recommendations to enjoy the trip but to also not end up with another damaged knee? Never bee skiing before so aside from lessons and bunny slopes, I'm not too crazy about the upcoming experience.

Stay in the lodge and enjoy the fire and beverages. I should have done that:

drummer0415
AG
Holy smokes that looks painful....
ENG
AG
one upper
Spotted Ag
AG
GottaRide said:

Stay in the lodge and enjoy the fire and beverages. I should have done that:

We are going to have to have elaboration on what caused that!
GottaRide
S
A ski wreck resulted in a tibial plateau fracture of the worst category. The swelling was so severe that compartment syndrome set in and I lost pulse in my foot. That led to emergency fasciotomies to open the muscles of my calf to allow circulation. Those openings couldn't be sewn back so they had to take skin from my thigh to graft the wounds.

Six surgeries, three weeks in the hospital, and two max-out-of-pockets since the injury happened on 12/31. Stay in the lodge.
2007fightintexasaggie
AG
You officially win props for "one upper" of the year. Guess I need to plan to be blacked out by noon every day since I won't be skiing!
GottaRide
S
I think Log's toe still has that title.
Ag_Eng98
AG
After my second ACL tear, I learned to keep my knees bent when active. Especially when falling/snow skiing.
Just curious, did anyone tear an ACL with a bent knee or did you have your knee locked before it buckled?
tx4guns
AG
Got patched up today. They rolled me to the OR, and next think I know I wake up and it's all done. Weirdest damn feeling in the world.
GottaRide
S
"This is just a little oxygen." Those are the last words I remember from each time I went under. Then the weird feeling of swimming up out of the white clouds when I would come out of it.
ursusguy
AG
My knees were bent. I was in about 3' of snow, and hit a hole in the snow as I was changing direction. The binding on my right ski released, the binding on my left did not. I was going left to right in the turn, and torqued to look straight down the hill, then literally snapped back to staring at the right side of the ski run (straight ahead). ACL completely blew out, 3 meniscus tears and stretched the crap out of my other ligaments.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.