Outdoors
Sponsored by

Torn ACL's are (usually) outdoors.

7,021 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ursusguy
drummer0415
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I tore my ACL last Saturday doing an outdoor activity, and now I am scheduled for surgery to repair it on the 23rd. For those of you in here that are active outdoors type guys and may have torn your ACL, how was your recovery? Any lasting effects? Any tips or things I should be aware of?

My doctor says after surgery I should only be on crutches about a week, and back to feeling completely normal in a month. Also Im not allowed to do any intense physical activity for 6 months. Is this consistent with what y'all have experienced?

Thanks for any feedback or advice.
BCO07
AG
Time line sounds about right. To maximize your recovery don't blow off pt.
TheClaw07
AG
Do every thing that they tell you when it comes to PT. First few days after surgery were rough for me, but after that there really wasn't ever any major pain. It took me 8 months to be fully released to play soccer again.
ursusguy
AG
I managed to make it 7 years from the time I tore my ACL (skiing and really crappy insurance) and my surgery (slipped on ice and knee buckled laterally to a 45 degree angle)....also 3 tears to the meniscuc

I had the surgery on Wednesday morning, got home, used crutches to get in the house, and that was the only time I used the crutches. I did a landowner site visit that Friday....my surgeon was of the mindset that if it didn't hurt to push it.

I followed my PT religiously. I was supposed to go 2-3 times a week for 8 weeks. After 6 weeks the surgeon and PT decided there little reason for me to keep going to PT.....now there is an odd reason I got my flexibility back real quick. The stretching on the CPM machine didn't hurt at all, just felt tight. We'll just say I fell asleep on the couch, at sometime during the night ended up on the floor, and woke up 8 hours later with the CPM machine still running. And my knee was nice and loose.
Unemployed
AG
BCO07 said:

Time line sounds about right. To maximize your recovery don't blow off pt.
+1

I half-assed PT and paid for it by needing a 2nd surgery to go in and clean out the excess scar tissue. For penance, I had an extra 3 months of physical therapy.

I was able to resume normal activities after a year from surgery (only because of the extra 3 months of PT).

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.
wadd96
AG
Big fan of cold therapy post surgery!
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
evinoblanco
AG
Recovery time depends on method...tore my right ACL a few years back snow skiiing and had it repaired via bone-tendon-bone (patella) and the recovery time was a year to get back fully...had surgery on my torn left ACL 7 weeks ago via hamstring autograft and have been off crutches for two weeks...I'm told total recovery time will be 6 months. First week after on either method was rough but the pain meds helped. Like others have said, go to PT and do recommended exercises outside of PT also.
plowboy1065
S
Tore my left ACL when I was in my early 20's and had surgery. They took a ligament off my kneecap and used as the new ACL. A month and half after surgery and still in PT we were harvesting rice and I slipped crawling down off a combine ladder and ripped my leg up behind me further than I had progressed to moving it. Went back in and the Dr. said It tore and we'll give it 6 months and take a ligament off right knee and use on the left. I said no thanks and been living ACL free for 20 years.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
plowboy1065 said:

Tore my left ACL when I was in my early 20's and had surgery. They took a ligament off my kneecap and used as the new ACL. A month and half after surgery and still in PT we were harvest rice and I slipped crawling down off a combine ladder and ripped my leg up behind me further than I had progressed to moving it. Went back in and the Dr. said we'll give it 6 months and take a ligament off right knee and use on the left. I said no thanks and been living ACL free for 20 years.

How long before you have to have your left knee replaced?
Finn Maccumhail
AG
ACL isn't a big deal these days. Just don't shortchange the rehab and you'll be fine.

It's when you combine the ACL with other injuries that things get bad. I've had 8 knee surgeries and they all pretty much can be traced back to the first injury I had where my knee bent about 180 degrees sideways and the outside of my ankle touched my hip- in one shot I tore my ACL, MCL, PCL, patellar tendon, medial meniscus, and lateral meniscus.

It did not feel good.
Unemployed
AG
Dirty-8-thirty Ag said:

plowboy1065 said:

Tore my left ACL when I was in my early 20's and had surgery. They took a ligament off my kneecap and used as the new ACL. A month and half after surgery and still in PT we were harvest rice and I slipped crawling down off a combine ladder and ripped my leg up behind me further than I had progressed to moving it. Went back in and the Dr. said we'll give it 6 months and take a ligament off right knee and use on the left. I said no thanks and been living ACL free for 20 years.

How long before you have to have your left knee replaced?
As long as his meniscus is fine, why would he require knee replacement?
drummer0415
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

my knee bent about 180 degrees sideways and the outside of my ankle touched my hip- in one shot I tore my ACL, MCL, PCL, patellar tendon, medial meniscus, and lateral meniscus.

Ho Leee Foooook
Fountain
Finn Maccumhail said:

ACL isn't a big deal these days. Just don't shortchange the rehab and you'll be fine.

It's when you combine the ACL with other injuries that things get bad. I've had 8 knee surgeries and they all pretty much can be traced back to the first injury I had where my knee bent about 180 degrees sideways and the outside of my ankle touched my hip- in one shot I tore my ACL, MCL, PCL, patellar tendon, medial meniscus, and lateral meniscus.

It did not feel good.

Would you mind telling us how we're able to holster your foot like a six gun?
AggieStout
AG
Like other have said the PT is the main thing if you want to be back to normal. You have to do it and not take it as a joke. Most of the time the PT trainer was a pretty nice looking lady which helps out.

IF they give you the option after surgery to rent the machine that bends the knee for you do it. If not ask for it. Its kinda pricey to rent but it helps out in the week or so after surgery to get the knee bending again.

Tore my ACL twice. First one was a hamstring graph and took about a year to fully recover back to 100%. Pain meds help the first week. then after that you wont really need them.

I tore mine the first time two stepping with a girl in a bar, thanksgiving night after the aggies lost back in 2008. People thought I was drunk when I fell down and no one believed me that I tore my ACL. Didn't have surgery until January during winter break.

2nd time wasnt as bad. Got a cadaver ACL that was a thinker gauge so I wouldnt tear it again. Easier the 2nd time because all the holes where already there and they didnt have to slice up my hamstring.

You knee will hurt when a storm comes in and when cold fronts blow in.
DuckDown2013
AG
I tore my left ACL, MCL, and Meniscus when I was 20. I did the Patellar Tendon surgery.
My advice: Start rehabbing NOW before surgery-it helped me a lot! After surgery, rehab more than they tell you, and especially keep up your rehab after your time at your physical therapy location is over with.

Biggest issues for me were loss of confidence in leg when it comes to sports/activities in future(takes a while for this to come back), loss of thigh muscle on torn knee side(which is important to try and get back quick when healthy), and loss of full leg mobility which can be really tough to get back, even if you do a lot of PT.

That was the most bored I have every been in my life. I am the type of person that can only watch so much tv...and you are pretty much just forced to sit there for a while. Any online classes/certifications that you want/need to do??

I would really watch your diet post surgery as your metabolism may have a good opportunity to change due to your dramatically reduced levels of activity.

If you don't have a good recliner, you might want to get one. Your leg is going to be required to be straight very often. I found that my recliner was much more comfortable than a couch.

6 years removed, my left knee is still very tinder when it comes to things like doing lunges and sitting on my knees if I am working on something.

Fun Fact: My knee was blown up via a tackle of an eventual NFL first rounder and now super bowl champ, but that is another story!

AggieStout
AG
Also they give you this pump system that has hoses you place around your knee to get cold water in there. That thing works real good. just dont let it run out of cold water in the middle of the night.
DuckDown2013
AG
AggieStout said:

Also they give you this pump system that has hoses you place around your knee to get cold water in there. That thing works real good. just dont let it run out of cold water in the middle of the night.
Still have that thing and use it occasionally after a night of basketball.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Fountain said:

Finn Maccumhail said:

It did not feel good.

Would you mind telling us how we're able to holster your foot like a six gun?

Football game my senior year of HS. We were playing Austin LBJ at the field right there off 290 at Reagan HS. Crappy grass field with all kinds of divots and lumps. I was moving laterally, planted my foot to turn and make a hit, right as I hit the guy up high somebody rolled up my leg and my toe stayed planted in the grass while I got bent over sideways and my knee was the spot that went.

I also tore the capsule around the joint so I had a lot of swelling in my lower leg. At first the doctors were concerned I tore the artery in my leg because they couldn't find the distal pulse but I was fortunate that did not occur because that would likely have required amputation. And there was no nerve damage so I didn't end up with a drop-foot.

That was September '94. Within 48 hours both RC Slocum and Gene Stallings called to let me know that because of the injury they couldn't offer me a scholarship anymore but I was welcome to walk-on. At that point Rice came calling and still offered so I signed there. Had 3 surgeries to get back on the field and managed to recover enough to suit up some as a freshman but never got to play. Then during spring drills I tore my ACL again and the doctors told me "no mas" so I transferred to A&M where I was just a non-reg frat guy.

Since those 4 surgeries 2 of the other 4 have just really been scopes to try clean up trash and try to repair what little cartilage I have left in that knee. And because I'm still active in a lot of ways compensating for my bad knee I've had to have my other knee scoped a couple times but it's never hurt like my bad knee.
wadd96
AG
That's called cold therapy...
drummer0415
AG
Thanks for all the replies, guys. Lots great info. I'll try to address a few things mentioned so far.

I am getting a cadaver ligament put in, since I like all of my other ligaments where they are currently located in my body. Also doctor says it will be thicker and stronger in the long run.

My mom just had a knee surgery for a different issue a couple moths ago so she has the ice machine deal that pumps cold water through the part that wraps around your knee. I have been using it since the day after my injury and I definitely believe it helps with keeping the swelling down.

I have a good recliner and have been using this as well since the injury. I have probably sat in the recliner more hours in the last week than I have in the last 3 years I have owned the recliner.

I have already noticed a change in my metabolism from reduced activity. I haven't been eating as much as normal, but that's a good thing. I don't want to get lolfat.

I am an active person and up until last week I worked out at the gym 5 days a week. So I'm not worried about keeping up with the PT after the surgery. If anything I will probably look forward to it because i don't like being so sedentary.

drummer0415
AG
Also my story. I was riding my dirt bike through a wooded area and my left boot caught on something (tree root, bushes, not sure) while riding at a pretty quick pace. It ripped my leg off the peg pretty violently and my foot went from pointing straight forward to pointing 90 degrees to the left in a split second. Obviously my ACL was not a fan of that quick and violent rotation.
Camo
I did not completely tear but the x ray showed my MCL and ACL had a bunch of little tears in it was just hanging on.

No surgery, rehabbed like a mofo

11 years ago now, knee aches when the weather drastically changes, still tender, aches the next day after playing sports. May be because I didn't get surgery?
SoTxAg
AG
Tore right acl at age 19-had surgery a few years later, rehab is key.
Tore left acl at age 32- decided against surgery.
At age 49, I am now a big advocate of knee friendly sports, like swimming.
ntxVol
Tore mine over 25yrs ago. My acl is tied to a screw in my femur. Took about a year to get back to normal but that was normal back then. I have had problems with some soreness in my hip on that side from time to time but it is also normal to subconsciously favor that knee. I can't definitely feel changes in weather but overall I have been very lucky and have had practically no problems at all. That knee feels better overall today than my "good" knee.
eet_mor_beef
AG
evinoblanco said:

Recovery time depends on method...tore my right ACL a few years back snow skiiing and had it repaired via bone-tendon-bone (patella) and the recovery time was a year to get back fully...had surgery on my torn left ACL 7 weeks ago via hamstring autograft and have been off crutches for two weeks...I'm told total recovery time will be 6 months. First week after on either method was rough but the pain meds helped. Like others have said, go to PT and do recommended exercises outside of PT also.

Agree
BigHead 04
AG
Agree with everything here. Rehab is key. I did mine in high school. The one thing I'll add, and it's part of rehab, is work HARD on your range of motion. Or at least as hard as they will let you. I slacked a little and never got enough extension. No issue with flexion.

Flash forward 18 years and my right leg is a hair shorter. I stand all day doing procedures and find that I can't stand on the shorter leg as long. Also wears my boot heel down faster on that side.

I've done a lot to work on it (massage, muscle energy, manipulation---I'm a D.O.) but it's never been the same. Strength is as good or better than 20 years ago but takes twice the effort!

Best of luck!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
wadd96
AG
All good until you tear a rotator cuff...
VaultingChemist
AG
I tore my left ACL over 20 years ago playing flag football. It sounded like a .22 being discharged. I never had it repaired, although I had to stop playing football and basketball. It never hurts, even after hiking 4 or 5 miles.

The surgeon told me that if it doesn't hurt, and doesn't affect my lifestyle, then I would be better off not having the ACL repaired.
Camo
I will also add tore mcl and acl in HS skiing, maybe jumped back into lacrosse too early (on a state title run) thought I could handle it

Duck hunting and drudging through mud is a pain in the arse lol
Ag_Eng98
AG
Tore both of mine ~24 years ago. I'll beat this dead horse one more time. Range of motion and stretching is key for PT. And start now before surgery as others have said.

Things I learned the hard way:
-don't excercise right before you go to bed since your knee and muscles will tighten up.
-don't sleep with your knee bent the first few weeks just because it feels so good. Not even one night.
-straightening your knee is more important than bending it
-the bending part of range of motion is also important.
-don't limp. Your knee is probably stronger than you think.
-the pain doesn't go away until you get your range of motion and some strength back. Find out what pain you need to ignore

Good luck!
PremierAg
AG
PT, PT, PT
CPM Machine
Game Ready Cryo or ICE
PT, PT, PT

Getting back to walking is easy, just don't short change yourself on PT or you'll regret it when you realize you never got back to 100%.

Also, a lot of doctors recommend PT prior to surgery just to build up as much muscle as possible before the atrophy that comes afterwards.

Good luck.
ellebee
Tore my mcl a couple of years ago. Tripped on a bag on the floor (chasing my damn pig) and my knee bent about 45 degrees and popped. It didn't really hurt so I just went about my day. All hell broke loose in the middle of the night and it was swollen and very painful. I still waited about 2 weeks to go to the dr. Did rehab with no luck. I'm allergic to steroids so did surgery. I also ended up with a cyst on my acl and a bunch of cartilage floating around. Still hurts every now and then and if I try to run too much. I'm still nervous about anything where I could injure it again, like stepping out of the shower.

So is cleaning out cartilage something that I might have to do occasionally?
ursusguy
AG
Like I said, accidentally fall asleep for 8 hours on the CPM machine and range of motion comes around pretty quickly. I will say that it is a really odd sensation.
CinchAG97
Lots of good information in this thread, but I haven't seen this advice:

Take your pain pills on a schedule and keep the schedule for at least a few days to a week. You don't get bonus points for being a tough guy. If you try to be tough, and you start to hurt, it's damn hard to get back in front of the pain. If the prescription says "every 4-6 hours" - take the pills every 4 hours. Set an alarm on your phone.

I've had 3 ACL's, 1 MCL and a total knee replacement. Pain sucks and there's no prize for being tough. Just take your pain pills, and you'll be much happier.

Lastly, use the ice machine religiously. Ice helps control pain as well, and once you start moving around a lot more you're knee is going to swell and hurt. Hook up the ice machine a relax. Those things are awesome.
Unemployed
AG
CinchAG97 said:

Lots of good information in this thread, but I haven't seen this advice:

Take your pain pills on a schedule and keep the schedule for at least a few days to a week. You don't get bonus points for being a tough guy. If you try to be tough, and you start to hurt, it's damn hard to get back in front of the pain. If the prescription says "every 4-6 hours" - take the pills every 4 hours. Set an alarm on your phone.
Maybe it was just me but I didn't experience that much pain post-op. I only popped percocet a couple of times and stopped because it made me too drowsy.

I medicated with beer, though. But that was only after each PT session.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.