Outdoors
Sponsored by

Elk hunt drop camp outfitter recs

2,743 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgLA06
Cadet05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for Colorado non resident hunt experience and outfitter recommendations for a drop camp hunt. Open to other areas as well but I've read CO is the easiest to get a permit. No elk experience. $2500 budget not including permits or gear. Next season. 5-7 day hunt. Thanks!
AgEng06
AG
In for recs as well. I want to do this in a few years with my dad and brother. Not sure how they'd like backpacking.

And yeah, I believe CO will be the easiest because they give OTC tags during the 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons.
Lungblood
Pick an...

1Area
2Unit
3"Spot"

Then pick an outfitter. That would be my advice.

If you want to hire one for next season, you better get on it. More than 1 has told me they're booked by end of Jan.
ursusguy
AG
AgLA06 and I both killed bulls with Trapper Lake Lodge (about an hour east of Meeker in Unit 24). Loved every bit of it. I booked at the end of March for my group, and AgLA06 booked shortly after me. We only saw 5 hunters (3 different groups) in our 9 days. This area is very high elevation. I want to say AgLA06 was camped and hunting at just over 10K, my camp was at 11,200 and the first couple days we were chasing elk around at almost 12K. I hunted every huntable morning/evening (the morning we couldn't we the mountain 200 yard behind the tent fell into the "don't do stupid crap" category), both my cousins missed a day at some point dealing with altitude issues. We saw a fair number of elk (AgLA06 saw way more bulls than we did) everyday UNTIL I shot my bull. After I shot my bull, we didn't see another elk or find any fresh sign of any kind (I am a good tracker). The snow storm was that morning, dropped about 6 inches (I don't know if AgLA06 got the weather we did) and the temperature dropped a lot that day. It was also the only big herd of elk we saw. In hindsight, that weather event triggered the migration and we were way to high. We knew where the winter migration area was about 3.5 mile southwest of camp, but we agreed we were all too spent physically after dealing with my bull.

I loved it and would do it again if it wouldn't get me shot (missed my anniversary last year and this year is 10 years). They do not hunt beyond 2nd rifle, and make no bones about it that they will come in and pull you if they see a dangerous weather issue at hand. This is partially due to the trail going in and out is sketchy as hell when it is frozen. They actually ended up pulling us out 2 days early. Honestly, 2 more days with more snow, we would have been royally f----ed.

I do know they were trying to sell the business.
always gig em
AG
Dreaming of an elk hunt one day.

Thanks.
shaynew1
AG
always gig em said:

Thanks.

I dream of them everyday!

Serious note: Go. No ones getting younger.
AgLA06
AG
Ursus is drunk. They're are no elk in that part of Colorado. Don't waste your money!
AgLA06
AG
In all seriousness. There are elk lots of places. We were about 4 -5 miles apart and in completely different environments. We had a lot more hunters coming up from the trail head below and to the north (easiest terrain). We had a couple plans but only found elk where no one else was dumb enough to go. It was the toughest thing I've done in a long time and want to go back so bad. It just doesn't look like it's in the budget to go back this year.
ursusguy
AG
Sure.

Did Richard tell y'all about the group staying at Clinard during Rifle 1? On day 3 or 4, they packed their daypacks and hiked out on their own due to the wind, and flat out left. It was the other reason, besides the Atlanta jacka---, that the horse issue was a fiasco. They were still packing out the crap left by the Rifle 1 hunter.
Cadet05
AG
Thanks for the answers thus far! Bump for the weekday crowd.
BullSprig07
AG
Cadet05, I've been researching the same thing. Since you don't have PM, let me know your email if you want to compare notes.
Corps_Ag12
AG
I wish i had friends who were into hunting like this.
AgEng06
AG
Bump for any more recs...
shaynew1
AG
Elk bumps
Sean98
AG
always gig em said:

Thanks.
I remember those days.
Lungblood
Elk Horny
cupofjoe04
AG
http://sanjuanoutfitting.com

San Juan Outfitting - they are EXCELLENT. Outstanding people, put on a great hunt. Will cater to whatever you need.
AgEng06
AG
I actually already had those guys bookmarked. I plan to give them a call, probably for 2018.
Lungblood
I've spoken to Justin before. He's super nice and very engaging. My impression and gut feeling is that you're gonna get a really different (much better) experience using him than going with someone who has been an owner/operator for a long time.
BradMtn346
If you are looking for just a drop camp, I can't help, but if you want a reasonably priced guided hunt, where you sleep in a bed, check out https://www.westelkoutfitters.com/.
Disclaimer, I've guided deer hunters for him. Elk hunting on public is what it is, but it blows my mind, a Colorado native, how many elk Jerad finds for his clients.
aggieland09
AG
aggieland09
AG
You can always hunt the old fashioned way... Pick a spot on public BLM land and setup your own camp.
AgLA06
AG
Do you have a way for me to reach you?

I was going to go back to the same place I went last year, but my grandfather decided he wanted to go elk hunting one more time. We don't have the budget for a guided hunt, but one of the drop camps like what you linked, may work better for him as it's a little lower elevation and a little better equipped camp.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.