Outdoors
Sponsored by

Brisket question

2,532 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by JYDog90
suprafly03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I have a a brisket on my BGE right now. It's been smoking for only 4.5 hours. I'm using my DigiQ to regulate the temp.

I made a small mistake when I got started. The temp quickly rose to 275 when I set the brisket on. It took me a good 30-45 minutes to drop the temp back to my desired temp of 250.

I left the pit alone as I usually do for 4 hours. The DigiQ only shows a selected temp at a time. I had been watching "pit" temp, NOT "food" temp. I now checked the "food" temp. 168*!!!!!!!

Whoa, that's hot after only 4.5 hours. And way past my usual stall temp.

Anybody had similar issues in the past? What were the results? Any idea as to why this happened?
suprafly03
AG
Wanted to add, my probes seem to be accurate. Used another meat probe and there was a 2* difference.

The grill probe was about 20* lower than the the dome gauge.
BreNayPop
AG
Ove never had much qualms with temps or time, i just go until the probe goes in like butter. Most important thing is not running out of beer.
aggie_2010
AG
These last 25-30 degrees will likely take 2.5 hours minimum.

What was the weight of the brisket going on the egg? If you wish, you can keep it moist by spritzing and/or wrap in peach paper so that it doesn't dry out.

Disclaimer: my experience is with a Weber Smokey Mountain.
agfan2013
AG
Far too many variables for us to guess accurately. If you think the probe is correct then it may just be a quicker cooking brisket. 25 degree difference for 30-45 minutes isn't going to make a brisket cook several hours quicker.

Just monitor it more closely, double check with different probes if possible, pull it at your usual target temp, and rest in a cooler if you get done ahead of your initial planned time.

Drink some beer and relax.
WP69
AG
Flat or packer?

My general thought is you're going to be OK. Here's l link to a chart that shows you're not far off from what this author says is 'normal'. http://www.genuineideas.com/ArticlesIndex/stallbbq.html

I like 225 instead of 250 unless you are on a schedule. Your DigiQ will hold that.

Worse case, cook another one.
MookieBlaylock
AG
I cook at 275 and even 300

Turns out super moist just co poo is quicker

suprafly03
AG
This doesn't sound good?

Poo????

Are saying my brisket is gonna taste like *****???
LRHF
AG
Don't stress, these things tend to work out. Will take longer than you think and as others said, done when probe slides in like butter. Typically 190-200 F but each brisket is different. Post temperature soon
suprafly03
AG
Yeah. It's holding beautifully now. 176.

Is almost like it but the stall at a very high temperature.

I did crank down the DigiQ to 225!

Thanks guys.
redass1876
AG
Take mine to 205. I can sit in the stall longer than the total cook time otherwise sometimes
Deats99
AG
Fat up or down?
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
Bighamp03
AG
I often have a brisket or pork shoulder quickly run up to 160-170. Freaks me out every time, then it stalls for hours and all is well.

How did it turn out?
suprafly03
AG
It turned out decent.

Not quite as tender as some. But the flavor was great.
JYDog90
AG
Bighamp03 said:

I often have a brisket or pork shoulder quickly run up to 160-170. Freaks me out every time, then it stalls for hours and all is well.

My experience as well. Until I then freak out because it seems to stall longer than I expect and then I start jacking with the probes and the Fire trying to get it through it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.