Outdoors
Sponsored by

Cowboy Action Shooting

1,570 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Mr. Dubi
Swarely
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone here do this? Any tips on where to begin getting stuff together? How much is gonna cost? I have no experience with this whatsoever so anything would be of help to me.

Thanks and gig'em.
Swarely
Also, where can I go to watch a competition? I live in Austin, so close by would be ideal.
Bazooka Joe
AG
Chicago? All the practice you could want or see. Just take the train to any downtown stop. Get out and start walking.
Naveronski
AG
I used to shoot matches with my father.

Texas Historical Shootist Society in Colmbus. There might be something closer to you.
schmellba99
AG
http://www.sassnet.com

I would start here and see where they are hosting events and affiliated clubs. I know my range (nowhere near Austin) has some events on a monthly basis, so finding a place that has refular events is probably your best starting point.

Almost all of these types of shooting clubs or organizations are very welcoming to new members, so ask questions and you will likely get more help than you think.
Brush Country
I think I know a poster who's kids are into it. I will see if I can get him to chime in.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
TwoMarksHand
AG
Only thing I know about Cowboy Action shooting is that they use wax bullets for practice. If anyone knows how I can utilize this cheap training for my 9mm semi auto, then I am all ears.
schmellba99
AG
TwoMarksHand said:

Only thing I know about Cowboy Action shooting is that they use wax bullets for practice. If anyone knows how I can utilize this cheap training for my 9mm semi auto, then I am all ears.

Will be difficult, if not impossible for a semi auto. The charge weights for the wax rounds are extremely light - many times it is just the primer only. Wont have enough juice to cycle the action on an auto. Works great on wheel guns, short barrel break actions, etc.

Not sure if the wax slug would make it down the tube of a rifled barrel, even a carbine length though. Never tried it.
TwoMarksHand
AG
schmellba99 said:

TwoMarksHand said:

Will be difficult, if not impossible for a semi auto. The charge weights for the wax rounds are extremely light - many times it is just the primer only. Wont have enough juice to cycle the action on an auto. Works great on wheel guns, short barrel break actions, etc.

Not sure if the wax slug would make it down the tube of a rifled barrel, even a carbine length though. Never tried it.

I'm not worried about it cycling the action. I was wanting to try it for just draw and shoot once training
Naveronski
AG
TwoMarksHand said:

schmellba99 said:

TwoMarksHand said:

I'm not worried about it cycling the action. I was wanting to try it for just draw and shoot once training

Dry fire practice? You can do that with a shot timer no problem.
JR69
AG
TwoMarksHand said:

You're thinking about Fast Draw competition, not Cowboy Action Shooting
JR69
AG
My brother-in-law was into it for a while, and I checked it out pretty seriously. Single Action Shooting Society (SASS) is the biggest. Someone already posted a link to their website. They are all about the shooting and the outfits they wear range from drug store cowboy to authentic old west attire. It's almost anything goes.

A rifle, two revolvers, and a shotgun will run you a few bucks - I figured $2500 minimum if purchased new. At many shoots, there are always people willing to lend guns to newcomers wanting to try it out. I'd suggest downloading their rule book so you can see what guns are legal in what combinations in the different "classes" or categories of shooters.

There is also a group called NCOWS - National Congress of Old West Shooters. It's a much smaller group and their focus is more on authenticity - in dress, camp, and guns. Much more like reenacting or even the old muzzle loader rendezvous crowd. IIRC you can get by with as few as 2 guns in some categories rather than the four required in SASS events.

Cimarron Firearms and Taylor & Co are two good places to search guns, although you can find less expensive.

www.taylorsfirearms.com/

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/

The Cimarron website currently has a video about The End of the Trail - SASS's annual national championship gathering and matches.

I never really got into it, although I did shoot a couple of matches with my brother-in-law using his guns. It was fun.

That's about all my memory has to offer. The internet is your friend on this one - there are a ton of websites with good information for you.
TwoMarksHand
AG
Yes for dry fire, but I want real info on where my projectile would hit.
TwoMarksHand
AG
JR69 said:

TwoMarksHand said:

You're thinking about Fast Draw competition, not Cowboy Action Shooting

I'm thinking more for a component of my dry fire practice.
Mr. Dubi
Willow hole in North Zulch
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.