Outdoors
Sponsored by

Fertigation

1,419 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AgySkeet06
burnerET
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on these/ this topic? Im looking at installing a EZ Flo fertilizer injector, http://ezfloinjection.com Ive been researching, but haven't been able to really find out much definitive information. Is there any benefit to having a system like this? My main thoughts are that it would evenly distribute the fertilizer through the sprinkler heads, versus me using a broadcast spreader and trying to push in straight lines. I have a large area that I water and fertilize, approximately 2 acres. I have been following the Randy Lemmon schedule since last summer. The EZ FLO uses either liquid fertilizer or fertilizer that is water soluble, which I can't tell if any on Lemmon's recommendation are. I cross posted this in Home Improvement as well, if that is more appropriate place for this kind of question.
EFE
AG
Yes, but on a much grander scale than 2ac.
zooguy96
I set up my own irrigation from commercial equipment (have a friend who is a farmer) and used essentially a tank the water ran through (had a water hose on the inlet and 2" flexible hose on the outlet) whenever I needed to fertilize. Still a lot of kinks to work out.
EskimoJoe
EagleFordEarl said:

Yes, but on a much grander scale than 2ac.

I'm guessing your experience is more to the tune of 130 acres at a time.
Apache
AG
If you do this & don't have an RPZ backflow device (you may have a double check) you'll need to upgrade to one. Your sprinkler system just became high hazard.

You may also experience issues with the fertilizer accumulating in the valves & nozzles to such a degree that they inhibit water flow. This will vary depending upon the type of fertilizer used as well as the type of sprinkler components... some are better suited for this type of thing than others.

If your system is not tuned properly, you could have overspray onto built structures like windows, fences, brick, siding, etc. The fertilizer could cause issues if left on those surfaces.

I personally am not a huge fan of this on residential properties as there are quite a few moving parts & the potential for problems is high. I have seen some great results with injection systems, but I have also seen some disasters with this type of thing during my 20 years in the business.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
It will stain anything not grass.
BrazosDog02
AG
I use fertigation for my home garden because I like to experiment. Its not cheaper than your current method. Its expensive up front and fertilizers are not cheap, especially in the quantities you will need to use to get proper concentrations. I did a ton of research and calculations to arrive at mine, but you'll have to do that on your own. I did look at the system you are asking about, but decided against it due to some reviews I read. I wanted a more robust system. I settled on a Mazzei Injector. You will have to figure out which size you need.

I believe it to be a more robust commercial grade system than the EZFlow, but that does not mean the other won't work. I can tell you all about how it works if you are interested, but its a venturi operated device that uses differential pressures across the bypass to draw solution to the drip zones. The valves are set up so that I can manage the rates and shut them off completely when I don't want to use them.
AgySkeet06
AG
Brazosdog if your water supply is a public or potable water supply your injection system is illegal and against state regulations. You cannot use a PVB for fertilizer injection only an RPZ
AgySkeet06
AG
Burner, it's not that complicated to do fertilizer injection and the system you mention is fine but we typically recommend having an irrigation audit conducted. This will provide guidance on the uniformity of each irrigation zone, its application rate and request a flow rate test for each zone. This will help guide you with the operation and management of the system. As mentioned you will also need to upgrade your irrigation backflow to an RPZ .
BrazosDog02
AG
AgySkeet06 said:

Brazosdog if your water supply is a public or potable water supply your injection system is illegal and against state regulations. You cannot use a PVB for fertilizer injection only an RPZ
I'm aware of the regulations. But because the internet gon' internet, my post has been edited. The OP will have to research on his own and determine what he needs for HIS system.

These are not 'injectors'. These are more properly termed "aspiration devices". There are not pumps associated with them. In California at least, this means a PVB is acceptable as per EZ Flow website. Not sure if that changes anything for Texas and the OP issue, but it would be good for that to get sorted out as he may be on public supply.

http://ezfloinjection.com/backflow-information/
AgySkeet06
AG
As a State of Texas Licensed Landscape Irrigator and someone who teaches chemigation classes I just wanted the OP to know the rules because the TCEQ violations can be very expensive when potential contamination of public water supply is involved.

Key points:
-nothing wrong with the injector the op mentions just make sure to choose one you are comfortable with and understand its operation
-whenever an injector (whether it's a Venturi, centrifugal or positive displacement injector) is attached to an irrigation system, TCEQ requires an RPZ be attached
-measure the uniformity and application rate of the irrigation zones so ensure correct application of any fertilizer/chemical
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.