Outdoors
Sponsored by

Labrador Retriever ***** Question

2,245 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AlphaBean
brookbrother
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have a two year old Labrador Retriever still in tact.

She cycles about every five months and is due for her next season in March.

This week her behavior has been a little odd:

Pacing, whining, tail tucked. She has gathered all of our children's stuffed animals and has placed them in her dog crate.

Very clingy and needs attention.

Her performance outside has been normal. Spunky and attentive to commands.

This behavior reminds me of her typical traits when she's about to turn into season, but she's a bit ahead of schedule.

Has anyone experienced this in their own in tact ***** or is this something that I should address with my veterinarian?

Thanks.
Terk
AG
I wish my wife was this easy to read...
DVM97
AG
Possible false pregnancy, it's a hormonal/behvioural issue, if you are not planning on breeding her I highly recommend spaying her.

DVM
brookbrother
I have a feeling of obligation, for lack of better term, to keep her line in tact since she's been such a good animal in the field and at home.

So that begs the question,

What is the benchmark to know when to breed or when to spay?
OnlyForNow
AG
If you are going to breed her multiple times, then she can probably healthily breed till 7/8?
Max06
AG
Terk said:

She probably is, you just need better glasses.
reddog90
AG
brookbrother said:

I have a feeling of obligation, for lack of better term, to keep her line in tact since she's been such a good animal in the field and at home.

So that begs the question,

What is the benchmark to know when to breed or when to spay?
Clearances on hips, elbows, eyes, heart, CNM, EIC, PRA, titles in pedigree, etc. If she's not a healthy animal don't breed.
hurricanejake02
AG
My understanding is they need to be at least two before you can test for the clearances listed.
agwrangler2001
AG
hurricanejake02 said:

My understanding is they need to be at least two before you can test for the clearances listed.
This. My male just turned 2 in Oct. and we had his hips and elbows x-rayed. OFA certs just showed up in the mail last week. All clear.
He should finish his started title in February.
Haven't performed any other genetic testing, but may, depending on how he progresses beyond Started.
aggielostinETX
AG
Max06 said:

Terk said:

It's really not that hard. Only took me 10 years.
cevans_40
AG
This sounds way too complicated.
OnlyForNow
AG
Unless the dog is field trial bloodline most of that is unnecessary.
zooguy96
Max06 said:

Terk said:

LOL. My wife is easy to read. I buy her all the crap she wants, I buy all the stuff I want, and I don't talk much.
reddog90
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Unless the dog is field trial bloodline most of that is unnecessary.
Companion and meat dogs don't need to come from healthy lines??? What did I list that is unnecessary?

OnlyForNow
AG
Breeding dogs that are going to be healthy is a good thing and should be encouraged.

Testing for CNM and EIC is, imo, a tad over the top for most situations.

A hunting dog would do well to have history of good hips, eyes, and heart; but they are genetic anomalies that can be contrary to these tests as well.
reddog90
AG
Agree to disagree.
Scotty88
AG
OnlyForN said:

Testing for CNM and EIC is, imo, a tad over the top for most situations.
If you ever saw a dog with CNM or EIC you might feel differently.

If you sold a puppy to someone and that puppy grew into someone's best friend and that best friend was crippled due to some congential disease, how would you feel?

Answer that question honestly and then do what you want. It's a free world.

Years ago I bred my HRCH female to a GHRCH sire and we had three litters of pups. We had all the eye and OFA checks prior to breeding for both sire and dam No tests were available for CNM back then.

One of the pups from the third litter was Master National, GHRCH, and Master Hunter. The owner wanted to breed him, but when he was tested for CNM they found out that he was a carrier (did not have disease, but carrier gene with potential to pass it on). So the owner did the right thing and had him neutered (no accidental mistakes).

There are potentially other pups that carried on the disease. Fortunately I have kept up with a lot of those dogs almost all were neutered.

OnlyForNow
AG
Had my first dog die from a congenital heart issue. I was happy I got to have him around for 5 years though.

Do I agree that if the testing is available it is a good idea? Yes.

Do I still think that it's overkill?
Yes.
AlphaBean
AG
For some of the tests, results are merely to allow for better informed breeding decisions, not to completely remove the animal from the breeding pool. It allows you to be sure you don't double down on a given defect with that particular pairing.

Note I said some of the tests. There are tests that should absolutely remove an animal from breeding stock if failed.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.