Outdoors
Sponsored by

Boat transport

3,063 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by MouthBQ98
poolct00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good morning. I have a 28' boat on a trailer in dry storage in port aransas. I live in San Antonio but am planning to relocate to Charleston sc this summer. I'd like to have the boat join me on this journey. The trailer is only safe enough to drag the boat the mile from the boat barn to the city marina.
How would I get the boat and trailer across the country without having to rebuild the trailer and drag it myself?

Thanks y'all!
dahouse
AG
Hire a truck, should be $1,100 or so.
will.mcg
AG
Obtain a trailer with a winch & ramps. Drag boat & trailer onto the second trailer & go down the road. Or call RSK Transport for a quote on delivery 361-500-4727
poolct00
AG
Ok so dumb question....
Will they haul the boat on the trailer or separate the two for transport?
Thanks.
normaleagle05
AG
Is the boat/trailer combo's destination close enough to the ramps you'll use in SC that you won't have to rebuild it as soon as you get there? Is the price of hired transport less than the rebuild?
poolct00
AG
The trailer really just needs tires, bearings, lighting, and brakes. The frame and skids are perfect. A part of this is I simply don't want the hassle/liability of dragging it myself.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Are you going to keep it on a trailer or in a slip once you move? Or perhaps keep it stacked in a warehouse where the marina will pull it out and put it in the water when you want to use it?

sunchaser
AG
Talk to Carey(sp)at Island Marine in Port A. I had an issue with a bunker board that broke. When I took it in they had some concerns about springs etc. They got a man from Corpus that came over, got it and went thru it from head to toe. He is a a one man shop and only does trailers. I was happy with the price. I had been limping from Fulton to Port A for a good while.
MouthBQ98
AG
ICC vacation trip.
will.mcg
AG
You tell them how you want them to haul it. If it were me, I would secure boat to trailer & load combo on top of flat deck type trailer.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
will.mcg said:

You tell them how you want them to haul it. If it were me, I would secure boat to trailer & load combo on top of flat deck type trailer.
T-top on the boat? Might have to consider height when putting a boat on trailer on a towing trailer.
poolct00
AG
Thanks y'all. Lots of good info here
suprafly03
AG
Just use the boat as your main means of transport to SC...

There is a nice waterway called the Gulf of Mexico that you can stay in around the tip of Florida. Then it's all Atlantic Ocean after that. It's an adventure, problem solved.

So the real question is, how to transfer a car/truck to SC........
howdydamnit04
AG
Need any fishing gear? I'm selling a Minn Kota Trolling Motor, Lowrance GPS, Power Pole, 2 maroon roto-molded coolers, Igloo seat cooler, wade gear, push pole, and some tackle.
The Wonderer
AG
howdydamnit04 said:

Need any fishing gear? I'm selling a Minn Kota Trolling Motor, Lowrance GPS, Power Pole, 2 maroon roto-molded coolers, Igloo seat cooler, wade gear, push pole, and some tackle.
bamdvm
U Ship

Google it. Connects people with something to ship and truckers that don't want to make an empty backhaul. You can even get them to bid on it or just post what you're willing to pay and see if you get any takers.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
howdydamnit04 said:

You are a very evil, tormented, but funny man.
CanyonAg77
AG
1) Sell boat and trailer, buy another when you get there. Any loss in value is offset by not having to pay shipping.

2) As said above, put it on another trailer.
  • Hook up flatbed
  • winch your boat onto it
  • remove wheels
  • set down on flatbed and strap it in

If you don't have a trailer capable of hauling it, buy one. You can always use a trailer. If you can't use a trailer, sell the flatbed when you are done with it.
FishingAggie
Make sure they have INSURANCE.

Friend fired a cheaper transport company. Boat hit overhead bridge. Total loss. His ins had to pay and are now after the transport company who has since declared bankruptcy. They provided insurance that was fake. They're in lots of trouble, but still it's been a huge headache to save a few bucks.
JSKolache
AG
Charleston with a boat is 700x better than Charleston w/o a boat. Make this happen!!
TRIDENT
AG
Fix trailer and then drag boat with you.
MouthBQ98
AG
Beam on said 28 foot boat? Over 8.5' and you're going to need possibly lots of permits.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.