Outdoors
Sponsored by

Who owns a house with a swimming pool?

6,674 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by cbr
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The house out in the sticks is under contract so that probably isn't going to work out. But we did find s fixed up house in town with a pool.

Can I get some insight on pool maintaince? With the rib being a teacher and the girls (just turned 4) being home all summer it would give them something to do.

I've read about saltwater pools, cab a redfish live in it?
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Built 2 pools. First one with a 2005 year built home and the other with a 2011 year built home. The 2011 home is way more energy efficient so the electrical bill is substantially less. Look for a $100-$150 increase in electricity alone.

As far as maintenance, I use a pool company that come out once a week. In non pool season I use the chemicals only and it runs $85 a month. When pool season ramps up I opt for the scrub and chemical package for $120 a month.

I ran the numbers on DIY but the pool company comes out ahead. You typically spend anywhere between $50-$75 each month at a pool supply store. Plus they are always trying to upsale you. You get the benefit of someone always checking your pool each week as well as the pool company storing all the chemicals.

tl;dr- higher a pool company and expect an increase in an electric bill.

Edit- do not go salt water. Eats up your natural stone and the parts crap out a lot faster than a chlorine pool.
giddings_ag_06
AG
Hire someone to maintain it for you. It's a lot of work if you do it yourself and requires year round maintenance (chemicals, leaves in water, dirt, pump, filter, etc...). They are still fun to have, but not necessarily cheap and easy to keep up to snuff.

Is it in ground or above ground? Cement or fiberglass? Lots of differences. I don't personally have a pool, but we had a fiberglass pool growing up and now my parents have a cement one. I don't know much about them, but these are some of the obvious things to consider.
Aries
We have a guy that comes out every 2 weeks & does all of the maintenence. It's just easier having someone that knows what they are doing so you don't eff up your pool. During the summer, we will scrub it or clean out the leaves but that's about it. He also cleans out our pump & filters once a year.

I would have someone come out & do a "pool school" so you can learn about your pump.
76Ag
AG
For the first 4 years I took care of the pool but I had some chems get out of balance last summer. I hired a weekly service and I've not regretted it al all. It's worry free.
tamc93
AG
Easy to maintain and I suggest looking up trouble free pool - they can teach you how to balance your own pool using common items (bleach, baking soda, acid - etc) and avoid the inflated costs of the pool companies. Also suggest a salt water pool (not really salty) for ease of maintenance while on vacation.

Only problem we have is the normal wear/tear on pumps etc, but worth the kids enjoyment every summer.
Potcake
AG
We have a pool and do everything ourselves except clean the filter. Also have our backflow preventer certfied every year. It really isn't that much work. Shock it 5-6 times a year, 2-3 backwashes, chemicals, and brushing it, which I just consider as a workout. The leaves in the Fall suck because we are surrounded by tees that all lose their leaves at different times.
Strongwind86
AG
Just understand it's not really a swimming pool....

It's a BIGA$$ chemistry set!
Mr. McGibblets
AG
Strongwind86 said:

That you should pay other people who specialize in that chemistry set to deal with.
cadetjay02
AG
I'm apparently the lone dissenter here. I've had my pool about a year and have taken care of it myself. The chemicals cost a lot upfront and would continue to cost a lot upfront if you shop at the pool store. I put about 15-20 minutes a week in the offseason and twice that during the hot summer months.

Basically there are only 3 things you have to deal with on a weekly basis.

1. Chlorine- I use the "chlorinating liquid" which is just bleach. If you use solid varieties of chlorine then the extra stabilizing ingredients will eventually mess up your PH. That being said, I will still add a few tablets on a low setting during the summer to augment. The sun and heat will burn up chlorine faster than the winter months.

2. Acid- During the summer, I generally had to put in 2-4 cups of muriatic acid per week. I havnt had to put hardly any in over the winter.

3. Clean skimmers- During the summer I had to clean it to get balls and frogs out. 1 time a week is sufficient. When all the leaves drop, it was like 3 times a day.

Occasional items include cleaning the pump filter which is less than a minute on my system. The most time consuming part is a 2-3 times a year cleaning of the filter cartridges. Using my pressure washer, it takes about an hour to do the 4 cartridges.

Cost
A bottle of "Chlorinating Liquid" at walmart is $3 and will do a 1-2 weeks during the summer and over a month in the winter. I'm not sure what acid costs, I've only had to buy 4 bottles but it's not expensive at Home Depot. It's outside int he lawn and garden area. A bucket of solid chlorine tablets is the expensive item. I buy the premium ones with the most chlorine to limit the stabilizers going into the pool. A gallon bucket is well over $100 but will last the summer.

The final 2 things I've discovered in my 1st year-

Buy a good test kit and follow the directions at www.troublefreepool.com

I'm a teacher too, so I have all summer to babysit the pool and check chemicals. It's not hard and it's easier to avoid wild ph fluctuations if you check it a few times a week opposed to once. I have nothing better to do so 10 minutes spent every few days is more value to me than $100 a month for some guy to come do the same thing.

Edit- It's a heck of a lot cheaper to buy a house with a pool than to buy a house then build a pool.
GatorAg03
AG
We had one on a house we owned for three years in Virginia. I'll never own one again. It's just a pain to maintain or pay someone to maintain. If it's an older pool, something will break or need repair.

If you have alot of expendable income and don't mind spending the money then great, but it wasn't worth the money and time to me and we even used it alot.

If I ever own any thing like this again it will be a hot tub, and I even doubt we will ever go that route.

I was very happy the day we sold that house and I gave up the pool. Some folks love them, but they aren't for me.
HumbleAg04
AG
Have one and hate having it but love using it. Kids have both learned to swim faster than their peers and are safer around water because of it.

They are expensive, cost energy, **** breaks, but fun. I don't plan on ever buying another house with one, but I didn't want one this last time either so I'll probably own one again...
ghollow
AG
I have had a pool for 18 years. I have always done the maintenance myself. Its not that hard and probably requires less than an hours worth of time each week as long as you are diligent.

Be sure to get an automatic chlorinator. Makes life easier. Also install an automatic fill control if it does not already have one. My pool also has "sprays" which keep the water cool all summer. The cooler the water, the longer your chemicals last.

I spend somewhere between $400-$500 a year in chemicals on a 31,000 gallon pool. I would guess that the electricity costs around $20/month.
Lance in Round Mountain
AG
We have a salt water pool. Love it. It does take time to maintain. We have lovely trees in our yard, but that creates a lot of work - leaf drop, acorn drop, catkin (oak flowers) drop. Takes time to keep the water chemistry balanced. But, in the end, we love it when it gets really hot here in TX. Oh -- and we paid extra for the heater which extends our use time (we can get it in it earlier in the Spring and can stay in it later into the Fall).
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Strongwind86 said:

This is so true!
We've had our pool for 15 years. Over the years I've learned what to add and when by testing the water and reading up on pool chemical maintenance. Now that I have it down, it's pretty easy to maintain. Ours is a chlorine pool. Love it in the hot Texas summers. If you stay on top of it, it's not as big a pain as some say and it really doesn't cost that much.
Lance in Round Mountain
AG
Fishin Texas Aggie 05 said:

I've read about saltwater pools, can a redfish live in it?
Actually, the salt level is not so significant that we notice it in our pool. Certainly not as salty as the Gulf. Little known fact, Redfish can live in fresh water.
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG

Quote:

tl;dr- [hire] a pool company and expect an increase in an electric bill.

Edit- do not go salt water. Eats up your natural stone and the parts crap out a lot faster than a chlorine pool.

Quoted for truth. Between the time, the negligible cost difference, and the headache of nothing ever seeming to come into balance in our new pool last year, hiring someone to do it instead was a no-brainer. Our enjoyment of it went up, the hassle went down, and we never have to worry about shocking it (which is not a good idea if it can be avoided), having days we couldn't swim, etc. I have boys (6&8), and we were in the pool every single day we could be, and having it out of service for whatever reason would've sucked.

As for saltwater, do your homework and decide for yourself. We went with limestone coping and a travertine deck, so saltwater was pretty much out of the question. But after looking at all the options and details, I'd have picked chlorine no matter what. YMMV. Oh, and "saltwater" is a misnomer, anyway. The salt makes the chlorine. You're not going to be beaching it in your backyard.
JAW3336
AG
Mr. McGibblets said:

Built 2 pools. First one with a 2005 year built home and the other with a 2011 year built home. The 2011 home is way more energy efficient so the electrical bill is substantially less. Look for a $100-$150 increase in electricity alone.

Either you have a big freaking pool, or inefficient equipment.

I built a pool this summer and my bill only went up 40-50 bucks a month.
Hootie
AG
We have a pool and I take care of it myself. It is a saltwater pool (I had my flagstone coping sealed) and I wouldn't have it any other way. It's nice not to have to lug jugs of bleach to the pool every other day. Once you get the chlorinator % set you're done. I only supplement with bleach when the water gets super cold or after a big pool party.

I would estimate that I spend about 15 minutes a week on the pool during the winter and about 30 a week in the summer. I do pay someone to come and clean the filter (I have a DE filter) and the salt cell every nine months or so, but that is a big job that I don't want to do myself.

My biggest recommendation is to stay away from the pool store and use troublefreepool.com. I am amazed what some friends of mine spend on pool chemicals. All I have ever needed for my pool is bleach, muriatic acid, baking soda, borax, calcium chloride, salt, and cyanuric acid, and the only one of those that I use very often is the muriatic acid.

12f Mane
AG
I've had one the last 4 years, do all maintenance myself. I rarely have to put in any chemicals besides chlorine. Took me a little while to figure it out, but I think that filtration matters as much or more than chemicals. Keeping a well running, clean DI filter going and a separate IZOD type device took care of clarity and algae issues for me. It really isn't that much work and hard to beat in the summer with kids.I did have to resurface it (several thousand $) but that should last 20 years.
MrJonMan
AG
Mr. McGibblets said:

As far as maintenance, I use a pool company that come out once a week. In non pool season I use the chemicals only and it runs $85 a month. When pool season ramps up I opt for the scrub and chemical package for $120 a month.

I ran the numbers on DIY but the pool company comes out ahead. You typically spend anywhere between $50-$75 each month at a pool supply store. Plus they are always trying to upsale you. You get the benefit of someone always checking your pool each week as well as the pool company storing all the chemicals.

tl;dr- higher a pool company and expect an increase in an electric bill.

Pretty much this

Except I don't think mine costs me that much in electricity every month, I would say more like half that
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
JAW3336 said:

Mr. McGibblets said:

Either you have a big freaking pool, or inefficient equipment.

I built a pool this summer and my bill only went up 40-50 bucks a month.
Seconded. A new variable speed pump helps a lot. Ours is set for 3 different speeds throughout the day, 20% overnight, 45% during most of the day, then 80% for the hours we're most likely to use it. Neither our water or electric bills were significantly affected by the pool.
Mr. McGibblets
AG

My pumps are not variable speed. They run on average 8-10 hours a day depending on the season. My old pool builder told me to run your pool similar to the temp outside. If it is in the 80's, then run min 8 hrs. If it is in the 90's, then 9 hrs min etc etc.
HookThis
AG
Nothing wrong with having a pool service but don't be intimidated by pool maintenance, not that big a deal. Once you get it down, it's no different than maintaining the soil in your yard.
Brush Country
Have had 1 for a little over a year, knew very little about maintenance before but have done it all myself. 20 min a week maybe, pretty easy.

I'm not knocking it, but I don't know why you'd have a service do it unless you have extra cash to burn, or you are super busy, or you are super lazy (first two are legitimate reasons, not chastising).

If you have trees, get an in line canister for when they shed, so the leaves won't clog your lines. Just learned that lesson last month.
SoTxAg
AG
Owned house with pool for 7 years until we moved this past summer from Corpus to SA. I maintained it myself. Not too big a hassle, cheaper than pool guy. Electricity bill was biggest concern. We have 4 kids, they used it a lot from March through October. As kids got older they used it less though.
Aggiehunter34
S
Mr. McGibblets said:

Strongwind86 said:

That you should pay other people who specialize in that chemistry set to deal with.
You don't need a chemistry degree to manage a pool. It really is simple. There isn't too much that can go wrong as long as you keep it all balanced and as one member already pointed out; troublefreepool.com is an excellent source to calculate chemicals. You need a good test kit, not test strips. It really is simple. Oh, and if you get a pool, look at adding borates the pool. It will make it even more simple to maintain.
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
Brush Country said:

I'm not knocking it, but I don't know why you'd have a service do it unless you have extra cash to burn, or you are super busy, or you are super lazy (first two are legitimate reasons, not chastising).
All three are legit (and applicable to some)!
VanZandt92
DAmn owning a pool sounds terrible.

We just moved into a neighborhood that has a club pool. Pretty dang nice.
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
VanZandt92 said:

DAmn owning a pool sounds terrible.

We just moved into a neighborhood that has a club pool. Pretty dang nice.
When the kids aren't around during the summer, I typically enjoy the pool at night with my lovely bride, some whiskey, and just about anything else that tickles her or my fancy. Swimsuits are not generally required, encouraged, or acceptable. Same is true for winter nights in the spa. So yeah, it's not terrible, and I don't think a club pool would be nearly as enjoyable. But that's just me.
RK
AG
Quote:

and I don't think a club pool would be nearly as enjoyable.
I guess it depends on who is in the club...
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
The pool is fiberglass, how much of a red flag is that?
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
RK said:

Quote:

and I don't think a club pool would be nearly as enjoyable.
I guess it depends on who is in the club...
Truth!
SanAntoneAg
AG
I got tired of taking green water samples to Leslie's every week and dropping $100 in chemicals each visit.

We have a company that comes out once a week for chems only. I think we pay $60 a month. I do the rest.
JAW3336
AG
Fiberglass is fine. Had I continued to live east of 35 in Bell county I would have built a fiberglass pool, it can move with the black dirt better than gunite.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.