Outdoors
Sponsored by

Sig wins Army contract

5,761 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by maverick2076
TheCougarHunter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Muzzleblast said:

I have the P 320 C in .40.

Great gun. Easy to take down for maintenance.

No external safety. Saw that on the military pistol and just shook my head.

The military won't have a pistol without a safety issued to the riff raff. Can you imagine the amount of people that inadvertently shoot themselves!?
Trinity Ag
S
91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

I would doubt there are 100 people in conventional force units that have actually needed to fire a pistol over the past 15+ years of war.

We may not be able to know, but this is just wrong. Wounded (or not) and out of 5.56 ammo, pinned down, and they're coming in. Not an unlikely scenario and very likely to have happened somewhere.

That it's an extraordinarily unlikely scenario anywhere except Hollywood. To start, a very small number of soldiers carry both rifles and pistols at the same time. Mainly officers and senior NCOs. Who are extremely unlikely to be in isolated firefights, out of 5.56.

Maybe in the 2-3 SOF ops gone real bad over the past fifteen years, but those dudes have always been authorized to carry what they want anyway.

Pistols are primarily for armored vehicle crewmen, senior leaders. It is nice to have one in a meeting with foreign military/locals you don't know or trust, and a long gun is inappropriate.
maverick2076
Trinity Ag said:

91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

I would doubt there are 100 people in conventional force units that have actually needed to fire a pistol over the past 15+ years of war.

We may not be able to know, but this is just wrong. Wounded (or not) and out of 5.56 ammo, pinned down, and they're coming in. Not an unlikely scenario and very likely to have happened somewhere.

That it's an extraordinarily unlikely scenario anywhere except Hollywood. To start, a very small number of soldiers carry both rifles and pistols at the same time. Mainly officers and senior NCOs. Who are extremely unlikely to be in isolated firefights, out of 5.56.

Maybe in the 2-3 SOF ops gone real bad over the past fifteen years, but those dudes have always been authorized to carry what they want anyway.

Pistols are primarily for armored vehicle crewmen, senior leaders. It is nice to have one in a meeting with foreign military/locals you don't know or trust, and a long gun is inappropriate.

That's factually incorrect. On most deployments over the last decade, combat arms units at least almost always deploy as dual carriers. So do MP's, medics, etc. in Iraq, pistols were commonly pulled first at TCPs and checkpoints, because Iraqi's paid a lot more attention to a man with a pistol in their face than one with a rifle. Employment of a pistol is much more common than a lot of people here think.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.