Outdoors
Sponsored by

Sig wins Army contract

5,786 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by maverick2076
CharlieBrown17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Sig 320 wins the contract to replace the M9

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017/01/19/army-picks-sig-sauer-replace-m9-service-pistol.html
'03ag
Think this will increase the availability of P320 parts?
CharlieBrown17
AG
With no real basis for this, I'd guess it initially drops the availability but overall increases the P320 market share and availability over time.

Personally I'm really hoping the USAF also adapts the P320 over the M9 by the time I'm active duty...
carpe vinum
AG
The bright side is a metric crap ton (technical term) of Beretta surplus will soon be on the market.
Naveronski
AG
carpe vinum said:

The bright side is a metric crap ton (technical term) of Beretta surplus will soon be on the market.

Hopefully.

It should mean a bunch of low round count guns that have been sitting in arms rooms for years.

Army (GPF) handgun training is abysmal.

Doubt it will get much better with a new pistol, but we can hope.
Caladan
CharlieBrown17 said:

With no real basis for this, I'd guess it initially drops the availability but overall increases the P320 market share and availability over time.

Personally I'm really hoping the USAF also adapts the P320 over the M9 by the time I'm active duty...
Well -- I hope you are young and have a ways to go, as the USAF can be rather slow about such things. My old unit was still using 4" .38sp revolvers as late as 2005. Those were my first "concealed carry"..........
CharlieBrown17
AG
I have 16 months almost exactly.. I guess I'd just like to see it at some point
CactusThomas
AG
carpe vinum said:

Doubt it.
gibberish
AG
This sounds good to me.
trip
AG
Naveronski said:

carpe vinum said:

Hopefully.

It should mean a bunch of low round count guns that have been sitting in arms rooms for years.

Funny story on this.

My Dad was a JAG officer in 1985 and was tasked with evaluating the M9 versus the 1911 because the general in charge of this decision was bad at writing. He wanted it written well so he went to get a Lawyer. It got on my dads desk because he was on the pistol team at Fort Meade (close to Washington).

My dad evaluated them and ended up writing a paper say how the M9 was an inferior gun. Main points were
1.Double action versus single action causes the aim to wander through the length of the pull.
2.Longer trigger pull
3.A vertically hung trigger versus the straight pull of the 1911
4.9m versus 45 cal.

He turned it in and then found out the general already made his mind up on Berretta and was looking for a pro Brerretta paper. Obviously the paper was never released.

He also believes this is why the pistol teams suck now.
MouthBQ98
AG
I happen to think the Beretta shoots pretty well. At least, I shoot well with it.

Only the first pull is DA, and that only if you don't pull the hammer yourself.
proc
AG
Long time 96D owner here. I have always used it as a go to house gun, and it never misses the target at the range.

Is it a competition precision shooter? No. Is it a great defensive shooter? Yes.

One person's opinion, but the military pistol is intended to be used in defensive situations. High mag capacity and reliability are key, not length of trigger pull and MOA at 50 feet.
MGS
Is this another one of those last-minute decisions from the Obama administration to prevent Trump from going with an American gun company?
Mr. Dubi
If my math is correct, it's $1,100 plus per pistol. That sounds a little steep to me.
cuz-i-can
AG
trip said:

Naveronski said:

carpe vinum said:

Hopefully.

Funny story on this.

My Dad was a JAG officer in 1985 and was tasked with evaluating the M9 versus the 1911 because the general in charge of this decision was bad at writing. He wanted it written well so he went to get a Lawyer. It got on my dads desk because he was on the pistol team at Fort Meade (close to Washington).

My dad evaluated them and ended up writing a paper say how the M9 was an inferior gun. Main points were
1.Double action versus single action causes the aim to wander through the length of the pull.
2.Longer trigger pull
3.A vertically hung trigger versus the straight pull of the 1911
4.9m versus 45 cal.

He turned it in and then found out the general already made his mind up on Berretta and was looking for a pro Brerretta paper. Obviously the paper was never released.

He also believes this is why the pistol teams suck now.
There is a reason that the 1911 has been a proven combat pistol for over 100 years.
powerbelly
AG
Mr. Dubi said:

If my math is correct, it's $1,100 plus per pistol. That sounds a little steep to me.

IIRC the price is for more than just the pistols. It is everything needed from sig.
bedofbrass33
AG
powerbelly51 said:

Mr. Dubi said:

IIRC the price is for more than just the pistols. It is everything needed from sig.

Yup. DoD weapon acquisition contracts always include stuff like spare parts, armorer training, etc
MonkeyKnifeFighter
gibberish
AG
MonkeyKnifeFighter said:

If this gets me a cheap 92G eventually, I'm all for it.

You'll have to convert it yourself though. No G-types in service. At least it's cheap now to convert
Post removed:
by user
powerbelly
AG
JJMt said:

The linked article says that the Army's buying the Sig in 9mm. Is that accurate? If so, why would the Army do that? I thought that the reason that the Army started the new procurement was to get away from the 9mm?
My impression is they wanted a better pistol, not to get away from 9mm.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I think one of the original deliverables for the bid was calibers other than 9mm. Pretty sure I read Sig sent in 9mm and .40. I'd guess Glock did the same and the Army decided to stick with 9mm
WildcatAg
AG
What a collossial waste of money!
Trinity Ag
S
JJMt said:

The linked article says that the Army's buying the Sig in 9mm. Is that accurate? If so, why would the Army do that? I thought that the reason that the Army started the new procurement was to get away from the 9mm?
NATO.

The Army is always going stay with 9mm for interoperability.

From what I understand, the pro for the Sig is that it is modular, and special operations units can easily convert pistols to .40 if desired and authorized.

I would doubt there are 100 people in conventional force units that have actually needed to fire a pistol over the past 15+ years of war.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

I would doubt there are 100 people in conventional force units that have actually needed to fire a pistol over the past 15+ years of war.

We may not be able to know, but this is just wrong. Wounded (or not) and out of 5.56 ammo, pinned down, and they're coming in. Not an unlikely scenario and very likely to have happened somewhere.
CactusThomas
AG
I'm a big fan of Sig's classic aluminum frame P series. I even like the 2022.

But the P320 with the Boston safety? Seriously?

I prefer the Beretta.
powerbelly
AG

Quote:

The Beretta is the better pistol.

I don't agree in this context. Especially with the way the Beretta safety works.
CactusThomas
AG
Yeah, I edited my post while you were posting.
powerbelly
AG
It is dumb that the army requires a external safety.

I also really want a Beretta 92G, I like the platform, just not the execution.
NRH ag 10
AG
powerbelly51 said:

It is dumb that the army requires a external safety.

I also really want a Beretta 92G, I like the platform, just not the execution.
They're nice.

It doesn't matter what pistol the military uses, if they don't provide proper maintenance and parts replacement and use crap mags, they won't run as they should.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Mr. Dubi said:

That includes extra parts and support. It's always crazy per gun on the mil contracts.
maverick2076
And ammo, mags, training, traveling to field the weapons, etc. iIRC, actual cost on the weapon itself is like $330 each.
Muzzleblast
I have the P 320 C in .40.

Great gun. Easy to take down for maintenance.

No external safety. Saw that on the military pistol and just shook my head.
P.U.T.U
AG
The 320 was one of the only guns that fit the original Army requirements of a modular design, surprised the Glock was in for so long but then again the SEALs, Green Berets, and MARSOC just switched to the G19. For what the Army required it sounds like they chose the best candidate.

Ammo, mags, spare parts, manuals, training, etc. account for the cost. Seeing as the gun is modular I wonder how many configurations each gun is set to have.
maverick2076
I think the majority are going to be shipped as compacts, with the remainder full sized.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.