Outdoors
Sponsored by

Has anyone ever shipped a dog?

7,447 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Swarely
boboguitar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who did you go through? How expensive was it?
Dumpster Fire
TXRed75
AG
Just load him up in a box and strap it to the back of the RV.
boboguitar
AG
It's either ship the dog or euthanize the dog. I'll let the bleeding hearts figure out which one they'd rather have because I can't drive to east Tennessee and back in a weekend.
TwoMarksHand
AG
boboguitar said:

It's either ship the dog or euthanize the dog. I'll let the bleeding hearts figure out which one they'd rather have because I can't drive to east Tennessee and back in a weekend.
Yeah...we're going to need the whole story/situation
boboguitar
AG
TwoMarksHand said:

boboguitar said:

Yeah...we're going to need the whole story/situation
My wife is a vet and part of a vet group on facebook. An owner in tennessee(hunter) brought in his dog(lab) that he wants to breed with. There's something wrong with it (I don't remember) but it can be treated. It's a surgery and a lifelong treatment(I'd have to go back to my wife to find out what exactly it is but she's the expert). Anyways, the dog won't be able to breed and there's a lifetime commitment to treating it. He just said kill it. The vet at that clinic took charge of it because whatever it has isn't debilitating and she can live a pain free life. She has no room for her though so my wife wants to take her in. It's in far far east Tennessee and we live in prosper, tx (north dfw). If it was memphis or something I'd just drive but far east tennessee is another 8 hours away. So at this point, it's either we take it in or it gets euthanized.
Dumpster Fire
boboguitar said:

Calm down. I have no qualms about shipping a dog safely.

My post was in fun for the ensuing that could definitely lead to a hijack from PETA types.
tlh3842
AG
boboguitar said:

It's either ship the dog or euthanize the dog.
Those are seriously the ONLY two options?
dodger02
AG
Presumably, these animals survived:

http://www.uship.com/animal-shipping/
boboguitar
AG
Dumpster Fire said:

boboguitar said:

My post was in fun for the ensuing that could definitely lead to a hijack from PETA types.
While I was replying to your post, it was intended for the posters you were insinuating.
boboguitar
AG
tlh3842 said:

boboguitar said:

It's either ship the dog or euthanize the dog.
Those are seriously the ONLY two options?
Well, I guess a 3rd option is for a good ag in tennessee to drive to a halfway point where I'd pick it up.
FIDO*98*
AG
I've use American Airlines and had no issues. You'll probably find the cost of a ticket is more than a human passenger though. There's also a group of truckers kind of like Uber for dogs who will transport the dog much cheaper although service is not as easily scheduled.
MouthBQ98
AG
We had a dog air shipped to us before. In a crate. No big deal.
Dumpster Fire
boboguitar said:

Dumpster Fire said:

boboguitar said:

While I was replying to your post, it was intended for the posters you were insinuating.
Ok good.

I like you as a poster and I have a previous username you would recognize from our mutual love of Kentucky Basketball.

Good luck saving this dog!
MouthBQ98
AG
Yeah, forgot about those uber type hotshot shipping apps.
boboguitar
AG
FIDO*98* said:

I've use American Airlines and had no issues. You'll probably find the cost of a ticket is more than a human passenger though. There's also a group of truckers kind of like Uber for dogs who will transport the dog much cheaper although service is not as easily scheduled.
I looked at AA and United. Ashville is the closest airport to her and united is the only one that does dog shipping there. AA does it in knoxville, just depends on how far we can get her to go.

I've just never shipped through an airline and have no experience with it. Wasn't sure how humane it was.
boboguitar
AG
Dumpster Fire said:

boboguitar said:

Dumpster Fire said:

boboguitar said:

Ok good.

I like you as a poster and I have a previous username you would recognize from our mutual love of Kentucky Basketball.

Thank god for UK basketball this season because A&M certainly is rebuilding.
TwoMarksHand
AG
boboguitar said:

Dumpster Fire said:

boboguitar said:

Dumpster Fire said:

boboguitar said:

Ok good.

Thank god for UK basketball this season because A&M certainly is regressing.
FIFY
boboguitar
AG
TwoMarksHand said:

boboguitar said:

Dumpster Fire said:

boboguitar said:

Dumpster Fire said:

boboguitar said:

Ok good.

Thank god for UK basketball this season because A&M certainly is regressing.
FIFY
True, it looks like Kennedy basketball from the early years.
Jefe07
AG
I've flown my dog on a couple different airlines. To and from Alaska to Houston. Super long flights. Just hoped he could hold it. Other than having to pee really bad and pretty anxious, it was always fine.
AgEng06
AG
USPS. If it fits, it ships...

boboguitar
AG
Hip Dysplesia is what it has and will receive a TPO surgery. bilateral FHO.

Goodest Poster
AG
Come clean man...you own a Chinese restaurant dont you?
BrazosDog02
AG
I'd just like to add a gigantic "F--- THAT GUY" to the owner. I hope his entire future is filled with botched hunts and difficulties the likes of which only God and karma can create.

Good luck on the dog ship!
ZoneClubber
AG
the Roadie app matches people traveling who can carry packages with people who need things shipped:

https://www.roadie.com/
homebuildingag
AG
Message me know if you can't do it and I'll reach out to an old friend that's a vet in Tenn. She may be able to help.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Take a sick day on a Friday and go get it. Your wife may see it as a loving gesture..wink, wink. Besides, 4 days alone sounds pretty cool to me.
zooguy96
Where abouts in E. Tenn is said dog?
FIDO*98*
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

I'd just like to add a gigantic "F--- THAT GUY" to the owner. I hope his entire future is filled with botched hunts and difficulties the likes of which only God and karma can create.

You have no idea what the problem is, what the surgery costs, or the ongoing costs of the lifetime of treatment. Some people have to make difficult decisions and that doesn't make him a bad person. OP is in a unique situation in that his wife is a veterinarian and can take care the animal's ongoing health problems
boboguitar
AG
zooguy96 said:

Elizabethton
boboguitar
AG
FIDO*98* said:

BrazosDog02 said:

You have no idea what the problem is, what the surgery costs, or the ongoing costs of the lifetime of treatment. Some people have to make difficult decisions and that doesn't make him a bad person. OP is in a unique situation in that his wife is a veterinarian and can take care the animal's ongoing health problems

I mean, you can't sell pure breed lab puppies when the mother has history of hip Dysplesia.

Well, you can try but no one will buy them.
reddog90
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Agreed. Backyard breeder not giving a **** about their stock.

Good luck with the shipping. Maybe check Move The Dog Transportation. MTD is for trial dogs moving around the country, idk if they ever do charity work but worth a shot.
oneeyedag
You can make it. I dove from Waco to Abingdon Va. in a day. Left at 6am got caught up in Alabama vs. Tennessee traffic in Birmingham, and arrived in Abingdon at 9pm.

carpe vinum
AG
https://www.facebook.com/WingsofRescue/
zooguy96
boboguitar said:

zooguy96 said:

Elizabethton
I'm about 2 hours from Elizabethton (near Knoxville).

If you paid for a rental car and gas $$, I'd meet you in Memphis. My wife would probably want to kill me, but I've done animal transport before when I worked at the zoo (used to transport Attwater's Prairie Chickens, etc.).

I've done the DFW to Knoxville drive in less than a day, course I like to drive 17 to 18 hours straight just to get there and be done with driving.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.