Outdoors
Sponsored by

Looking for holster recommendations

3,752 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Dr. Faustus
OilManAg91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Recently purchased the S&W M&P 9mm model 2.0. If you can give me any thoughts on holsters you like I would appreciate it.
Sarge 91
AG
Alien Gear.
cdowl38
AG
For conceal or outside the waistband?
BenderRodriguez
AG
IWB? OWB? Leather? Kydex?

Have no idea what any of that means and need more guidance?
EMY92
AG
Inside the waistband, Alien Gear or Stealth Gear. Alien is a less expensive version, although I do have a friend that just got a new model Stealth Gear for his Shield, they keep the Shield model in stock, he had it in under a week. The price point is comparable to the Alien Gear.

I haven't seen it other than online, so I can't make an accurate comparison.
cdowl38
AG
Black hawk surpa

It's all preference though. I like he paddle instead of putting it on my belt
Jeff84
AG
These are awesome! I got one for my Beretta 380.

https://urbancarryholsters.com/
cuz-i-can
AG
cdowl38 said:

Black hawk surpa

If you choose to carry with the Blackhawk Serpa please read all the reviews. Almost all of the Law Enforcement and Military units that carried them have banned their use. There are some seriously dangerous flaws in design.
OhAggie98
AG
I like the comfort of the IWB Stealthgear holster, however it has a flaw. When my handgun is removed, the back cushion closes up against the outside kydex. In order to reholster, I have to point the barrel of the gun at my hip and pry it open. I contacted them and they had me send it back to have a piece of kydex inserted into the mesh backing where the firearm is. I should be getting it back in the next week or so. I'll know then if the kydex fixes the issue.
bigfoot10s
AG
I love my JM4 tactical holster, but I normally carry with gym shorts or sweatpants. Works well with those or a belt. Check them out, handmade in Abilene.

qccholsters.com
OilManAg91
AG
Thanks for the suggestions so far. This will primarily be a nightstand gun, but still want a holster for occasional carry. Likely a 2 way for both IWB or OWB. No real preference on material. Just looking for something decent, that works well but probably lower end on price.
Neches21
Unless you are really skinny and your pants already fit a little loose I'd look at an OWB holster like a kydex Raven, or a leather pancake holster from Galco.
These will fit tight to your body and conceal behind an untucked shirt.
I have to have dedicated pants that are a size larger for me to carry IWB comfortably.
Strongwind86
AG
OWB holster for me.
Springfield XDs - 45 of course...

I've had a Wright Leatherworks Predator Pancake Holster for quite a while. Works great. Have no issues carrying in the summer with shorts and a Columbia shirt - even with a T Shirt that's long enough.

Wright LeatherWorks

Whatever holster your decide - make sure you get a good belt. A cheap belt will make a good holster carry like crap.
BigHead 04
AG
Check out hellbentholsters.com. Based in the hill country.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Muzzleblast

Just picked this up for my 5" .45.

Richard Epting made the holster and belt.

As stated by others the belt is key to carrying. A regular belt just won't work.
RightWingConspirator
AG
I've had many, many carry holsters over the years, but never consistently carried primarily because I didn't like the inconvenience of having something on my belt. I know, I know getting killed by a perpetrator is much more of an inconvenience. I picked up a Kangaroo carry about a month ago and now consistently carry every day. I love this carry method. There may be issues as far as drawing quickly, but I think you have that with most carry rigs. At any rate, I'm very pleased and highly recommend to anyone who does not like having something on their belt.
gibberish
AG
OhAggie98 said:

I like the comfort of the IWB Stealthgear holster, however it has a flaw. When my handgun is removed, the back cushion closes up against the outside kydex. In order to reholster, I have to point the barrel of the gun at my hip and pry it open. I contacted them and they had me send it back to have a piece of kydex inserted into the mesh backing where the firearm is. I should be getting it back in the next week or so. I'll know then if the kydex fixes the issue.

That's odd, I do not have this problem with the my stealth gear. Do you have a vent core or revolution?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
$100 for a holster?!? I only paid 200 for the stupid LCP!
reddog90
AG
I like t rex arms kydex, but you'll have to specify more what you are looking for.
CharlieBrown17
AG
OilManAg91 said:

Thanks for the suggestions so far. This will primarily be a nightstand gun, but still want a holster for occasional carry. Likely a 2 way for both IWB or OWB. No real preference on material. Just looking for something decent, that works well but probably lower end on price.

I have an alien gear and a neat little dock that they sell which lets me put my holster on the side of my bed frame when I'm not wearing it.

http://aliengearholsters.com/cloak-dock-iwb-holster-mount.html
HouseDivided06
AG
Another vote for Alien Gear. I just got my LTC around Christmas and had my in-laws get me the Alien Gear Tuck 3.0 for my Christmas gift. Alien Gear also has a 2 holster combo option so you could get an IWB and an OWB. I have been surprised how comfortable it is to carry IWB. The neoprene backing is really nice. The only thing I have noticed is you will need to pay attention to whether the bolts need tightening on the clips occasionally. But overall I have been very impressed, and I love that they have free shell exchange for life. If you start carrying a different pistol, send them the old shell and they will replace it with whatever your new carry choice is.
Credible Source
AG
Any votes for sticky yet? If not, then sticky holsters is my rec
AggieJason
AG
Sarge 91 said:

Alien Gear.
Anything but Alien Gear. Their stuff has always felt like garbage in comparison to everything else I've owned.
OhAggie98
AG
gibberish said:

OhAggie98 said:

That's odd, I do not have this problem with the my stealth gear. Do you have a vent core or revolution?

I had the Onyx, which became the Ventcore. I'm a little on the heavy side, so the side of my stomach pushes on the Ventcore backing. I just received the replacement today. It's an entirely new Ventcore holster with about a 3/4" strip of kydex sewn into the holster between the top two retaining screws for the kydex portion of the holster. I'm not sure how much of an improvement it will be, but it has to be better.

Good service from Stealthgear!
WWIICorsair
I've got comp tac and contact concealment iwb holsters. Of the two, I think they're both really good, but prefer the contact concealment holster. They have a bit of a wait time, but it's worth the wait.
EMY92
AG
I own an Alien Gear and White Hat holster. I haven't worn the White Hat in over a year since I got the Alien. It's very comfortable.
'03ag
EMY92 said:

I own an Alien Gear and White Hat holster. I haven't worn the White Hat in over a year since I got the Alien. It's very comfortable.
yep, my alien is very comfortable and has held up well. Free shell swaps.

It's not a premium product and they don't claim to be. It is, however, a good holster for the money.
Hoss
AG
cuz-i-can said:

cdowl38 said:

Black hawk surpa

If you choose to carry with the Blackhawk Serpa please read all the reviews. Almost all of the Law Enforcement and Military units that carried them have banned their use. There are some seriously dangerous flaws in design.

Not to mention the fact that they're cheap and poorly made. Might as well use a Fobus or Uncle Mike.

My recommendation is the Crossbreed Supertuck. I've been using mine pretty much daily since early 2012. I carry almost everywhere I go and it's still In excellent condition almost 5 years later. Super comfortable too. And they have a lifetime warranty so if it ever fails they'll repair or replace it free of charge. If I ever wear it out or change guns I'll almost certainly replace it with the same holster. Highly recommend.

Do yourself a favor and check them out. They have a two week trial period and if you don't like it you send it back no questions asked, but I'd bet very few get sent back.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/Product/SuperTuck-Deluxe

Here's my 5 year old CB with my G34...

I also have a White Hat holster for a Glock with Streamlight TLR-1 light mounted, but the White Hat isn't the same quality as the Crossbreed in my opinion...

I bought that because at one point I thought I'd carry with a light mounted and at the time Crossbrees didn't offer holsters with light options and White Hat did, but I never carry that way and therefore never use the holster.
Hoss
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Solution: Get a better gun and THEN get a good holster for it.
Caliber
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

This is a primarily a men's holster discussion... Pretty sure you don't need a $100 holster for purse carry.
Dr. Faustus
AG
G-Code Incog Eclipse for IWB. I carry a G19 AIWB in that rig, and it's fantastic. I don't conceal OWB, so all of my OWB holsters were bought because they're comfortable and/or I liked the way they looked. My 1911 wears a Tucker Gun Leather HF1. My 226 wears a Galco Combat Master. The previously mentioned G19 rides in a RCS Phantom. All are great holsters in their own right. Just comes down to personal preference, and my tastes are wide and varied.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.