Outdoors
Sponsored by

Started GSP for sale

11,726 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dsharp90
dsharp90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With a heavy heart I'm putting my started female GSP up for sale. Between career and life changes, we just don't have the time to hunt with her like I had planned and she deserves. She's 2 years old, fixed, and has been through formal pointer training with Pete at Pecan Hill Kennel. I got her from Charlie Rose at Wildrose German Shorthaired Pointers out of a Gabe x Annie litter at 7 weeks old and she's never had any health problems. She's only been hunted over pen raised training birds and she does a good job. She needs someone who will be able to hunt more than I can provide her. Pete is extremely high on her and she is going to make someone a hell of a bird dog. PM me if you have any questions.

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
FirefightAg
AG
Dang! That's a good looking dog
BCO07
AG
That sucks you have to get rid of her, but it sounds like you're doing the responsible thing. Great looking pup
BurnetAggie99
Bird Dog
AG
How much do you want for her?
dsharp90
AG
Asking $3,500 or best offer for to a good hunting home
3rdGenAg05
AG
Sorry you have to give up your pup.

Now, who will be the first nut to tell you you're irresponsible?
Tree Hugger
AG
That's what I was wondering, everytime someone posts about giving up a non-working dog because life got in the way, they get absolutely roasted.
dsharp90
AG
Yeah, I figured I would be roasted too but I've probably roasted myself about it enough for everyone I guess. I'd like Aggie to go to a good Ag so she can hunt to her full potential and be in a good home. Tough since I've put a lot of work into her but the right thing for her.
PANHANDLE10
If you had pictures of the dog on point that would help. Video would be ideal.
Mateo84
AG
I understand that these dogs have a desire to hunt, but can they just be a good family pet as long as they get enough exercise?
cuz-i-can
AG
Mateo84 said:

I understand that these dogs have a desire to hunt, but can they just be a good family pet as long as they get enough exercise?
Mine hunts maybe 5% of the year. The other 95% of the time she is a "velcro dog" . She loves to be close to us and even sleeps in my son's bed every night.
giddings_ag_06
AG
Mateo84 said:

IMO, it'd be a disservice to not hunt it. Even if it's just a few times a year, that's what they are born and bred to do, and in this case, trained to do also. That's for this particular dog. They make great family pets, but need plenty of room and exercise (daily). I wouldn't waste a registered, solid hunting dog for strictly "family dog" status and would maybe look for non-registered pointers. You'd be wasting money on the registered dog anyways just because of its certifications that wouldn't be important to you.
saltydog13
AG
Just to add on that ^. Some breeders won't even sell a dog to you if it won't be hunted with or do field trials.
dsharp90
AG
Aggie just has too much drive to spend to be maintained in a house without land to run. The trainer even says she'd thrive in a home with acreage. We've tried to exercise her in other ways but she just isn't happy doing that. But you take her out to the field and she vibrates with excitement.
dsharp90
AG
Here are a few point pictures from a training trip last summer. I don't have any video unfortunately.

dsharp90
AG
Bump for the workday crowd.
Sean98
AG
Beautiful dog. I'd be more tempted to leave the family instead of the dog but I know I'm in the 1% there.

Best of luck finding a good hunting home for her.
highvelocity
AG
Mateo84 said:

the answer is yes. my boy is the sweetest dog i've ever met. great personality and has more energy that i'll ever have.

he isn't started and won't be for a few more months so he hasn't been exposed to that like Aggie has. So i'm not sure how once you've got a dog trained to hunt / work if they'll get pissed at you because they arent getting to do that as a pet.

Sean98
AG
These 3 all hit their first bird field by 7 months of age and they all hunt 40+ days per year.

...oh yeah, and they are all inside dogs who are left in the house alone during the work day.
highvelocity
AG
Did you go through them chewing stuff up? Mine snacks on anything if I leave him out when I leave the house
Post removed:
by user
OnlyForNow
AG
They probably won't chew up anything Sean wouldn't!
Sean98
AG
highvelocity said:

Did you go through them chewing stuff up? Mine snacks on anything if I leave him out when I leave the house
Of course. But that's just a dog thing in general I think. It's just the longevity of it in a bird dog. Honestly he's never really chewed much other than he LOVES stuffing. Usually from pillows, dog beds, etc. It's his crack.

He'll be 2 next month and he will still occasionally go and "get" something, and take it to his bed, but it's as if by the time he carries it over there he thinks, "ohhh sh**, this will get me a beating" and then he doesn't actually chew it anymore.
Max06
AG
Have you contacted Charlie Rose to see if he has anyone in the market for a started dog? I guarantee he's the type that will take her back if he has any chance of placing her for you.
htxag09
dsharp90
AG
Figured I'd post an update and see if anyone is looking now that quail season is upon us. Hoping a fellow Ag could give her a good home or would know of an outfitter looking to add a dog. As of October 7th she is now 3 years old.

Aggie has been living,training, and looking for a buyer at Pecan Hill Kennel in Brookshire since July 7th. They are having issues locally with selling dogs since Harvey rearranged a lot of people's finances, which is understandable. So I come to my fellow Ags again.

Here are some updated pictures of her in the field last week. I'm told she's an absolute machine in the field and is loving every second of it.

BlueSmoke
"The Souls Joy Lies in Doing"

If you can find her a good home. That's great. She was bred to "do". Most dogs were. If you can get them to someone that is also looking to take advantage of utilize these attributes, then good on you.

Stuff happens. It's not like you invested this time and money knowing you were going to spit the bit shortly after. Don't take any crap. Get that awesome dog to someone looking. And that's that.
Nobody cares. Work Harder
John Cocktolstoy
If Aggie was not so expensive she would be hunting with me and my lab. That is a good looking pup!
Second Hardest Workin Man on Texags
BigHead 04
AG
Picking up my almost 2 year old all-black gsp up from T&T in Christoval soon or I'd be interested. Can't imagine how tough that is after all the time and money. Best of luck.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dsharp90
AG
I believe they have dropped the listing price since I posted here originally. I think they have her listed at $3,000 now but I'm open to other offers at this point. I'll give them a call tomorrow and double check.
jfbdvm
AG
Hard core?
BenderRodriguez
AG
BlueSmoke said:

"The Souls Joy Lies in Doing"

Indeed.

Hope the pup finds a good home doing just that.

dsharp90
AG
Just spoke with them and they've dropped her down to $2,500.
pwhite09
AG
Has the dog been sold?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.