Outdoors
Sponsored by

PSA - NOT the proper way to remove rust from your firearm

3 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by dubi
skelso
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was going to post this as a before and after but decided against it because I didn't want it to come across as anything more than a PSA...

Be careful who you trust to clean your firearms... This one was brought to me after attempting to remove surface rust. Blue and rust remover will in fact remove rust. The results however, may not be to your satisfaction...

Post removed:
by user
The Wonderer
AG
jayelbee said:

I've always used very fine steel wool.

Ditto, CLP and 0000 wool.
normaleagle05
AG
Did someone attempting to clean that gun actually deblue the whole thing?
TexasAggies06
AG
Yikes
skelso
AG
normaleagle05 said:

Did someone attempting to clean that gun actually deblue the whole thing?

That's exactly what happened. They used Rust and Blue remover to get rid of the rust. Unfortunately for them, if held true to its name and took the bluing too. The original finish was a matte blueing job. Now it just looks like media blasted metal. They also did not break the firearm down when they did it so the chemical ran into places they couldn't get to like inside the receiver, into the trigger group, etc...

I'll give them this much, they were thorough...
BrazosDog02
AG
I dunno, I would put the rest of that barrel in the **** and call it good. If that was blueing on the inside of receiver, it looks like ass. Looks like paint. I like the look of the gun AFTER removal. I'd probably take it from there and have another coating put on of some sort.
CS78
skelso said:

The original finish was a matte blueing job.

That Remington matte "blueing" is absolute junk. It rust when a mosquito sneezes on it. They actually did themselves a favor. $5 in Krylon and they be ready to roll.
skelso
AG
CS78 said:

skelso said:

The original finish was a matte blueing job.

That Remington matte "blueing" is absolute junk. It rust when a mosquito sneezes on it. They actually did themselves a favor. $5 in Krylon and they be ready to roll.

I agree which is why I talked them out of sending it back to Remington for a re-blue. I Cerakoted it Armour Black instead.
dubi
AG
Quote:

I'll give them this much, they were thorough...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.