Outdoors
Sponsored by

The cops found my AR!

6,703 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TexasAggie_02
LGAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So 6 years ago we were robbed. Stole lots of things including but not limited to, the AR, a home defense shotgun, a 50" plasma, and our car. We had a hide-a-key stuck on the fridge and I think they actually used OUR car to steal OUR stuff. The last 2 we got back along with some other things but the guns were never found.

Fast forward to last week. Garland PD found my gun. They said I can have it back after DNA testing on the blood on the rifle is done. Seems the guy holding it was shot,I think while trying to flee. He lived. :-(

But, at some indeterminate point in the future,I should be able to get my Stag lefty back! I think I'm going to sell it. Anyone interested?
suburban cowboy
Courtesy Flush
AG
Congrats. Wonder of it will still have the blood on it when you get it.

What sort of registration had you done for them to know it was yours?
FSGuide
Rufneck said:

Registration? Maybe he provided serial number and make / model on the police report?
TexasRebel
AG
Provide a serial number when it's reported stolen.
Ag_of_08
AG
Rufneck said:

When a gun is reported stolen, it's entered into the TCIC/NCIC database by serial number, and the local agency maintains the record. If an officer runs the serial number through dispatch, it will return as stolen, and they contact the entering agency to confirm it
cuz-i-can
AG
/\
|
|
This. Glad the OP got his stuff back. I have a hardcopy of make/model/serial #'s of all my firearms (and electronics for that matter) and also have them stored on my email account so I can access them from anywhere. I also have pictures of some of the ones that have any kind of customization or aftermarket stuff.
Ag_of_08
AG
BTW, you can also add your own number to them, and it can be entered under "owner applied" number. Guns stay in the system forever, and pawnshops, at least in Texas, are required to submit a serial number for anything they take in.
Courtesy Flush
AG
This thread has motivated me to do a proper inventory with serial numbers. It has been something I have needed to do.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
Ag_of_08 said:

BTW, you can also add your own number to them, and it can be entered under "owner applied" number. Guns stay in the system forever, and pawnshops, at least in Texas, are required to submit a serial number for anything they take in.

Can this be used as a backdoor to registration
LGAggie
AG
I actually didn't have the serial written down. The gun wasn't that old, so I was able to get the number easily from the gun shop I bought from. So, yeah, record your serials.

I was wondering if the blood was going to be cleaned too. I guess I'll see...eventually.
Ag_of_08
AG
Fishin Texas Aggie 05 said:

Ag_of_08 said:

Can this be used as a backdoor to registration

There is NO place for your name or information to be entered. That information is all maintained at the local end, and once it's purged it's gone. I can't think of any way to use it like that, and the info is only retained until it's located. The OAN works just like the regular serial, it's entered a "second" serial number.

NICS would be a much more likely system to be abused in that way.
ShaggyAggie01
AG
Rufneck said:

This thread has motivated me to do a proper inventory with serial numbers. It has been something I have needed to do.

I also take pics. If it gets stolen, I have evidence and record of how it is configured, with scope, rings, bipod, etc. That way when I talk to my insurance guy, I can show how much money the actual replacement value will be.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Selling a gun with murder's...
The Wonderer
AG
Tx-Ag2010 said:

Who said anything about a murder? The blood was from the POS when he was shot holding the weapon.
LGAggie
AG
The Wonderer said:

Tx-Ag2010 said:

Who said anything about a murder? The blood was from the POS when he was shot holding the weapon.
Bingo.
Alte Schule
Wonder what kind of condition it's in? Years ago a friend of mine had a 1911 Gold Cup stolen. Beaumont PD recovered it a few years later during a armed robbery investigation. He got it back after the trial, The PD had etched their evidence number on the slide and back strap,
FWIW I take a photo and record all the serial numbers of my firearms in an e-mail and send it to myself.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Your insurance company doesn't own that AR?
Aggietaco
AG
Ducks4Brkfast said:

Your insurance company doesn't own that AR?
Only if they know about this thread.
PorkEatingCrusader
The Wonderer said:

Tx-Ag2010 said:

Makes the gun twice a valuable if it does! I own one that took a life back in the 30's.
BrazosDog02
AG
Alte Schule said:

Wonder what kind of condition it's in? Years ago a friend of mine had a 1911 Gold Cup stolen. Beaumont PD recovered it a few years later during a armed robbery investigation. He got it back after the trial, The PD had etched their evidence number on the slide and back strap,
FWIW I take a photo and record all the serial numbers of my firearms in an e-mail and send it to myself.

Kinda sucks and it would piss me off, but since I do consider it a tool, I'd have to just be OK with the fact I got it back and it has character now with a lot more story than most.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Were you robbed or was your house burglarized?
The Wonderer
AG
SanAntoneAg said:

Do you mean burgled?
JR69
AG
Rufneck said:

I have a spreadsheet with all my guns listed, when and where purchased, serial numbers, year of manufacture, and status - i.e. in my safe, sold, given away, etc

I keep a copy on my laptop, my home computer, in my email, and on a usb drive on my keychain, in my gunsafe, and with my brother in law in his gun safe.
Eliminatus
AG
Tx-Ag2010 said:

Personally, I see this as a positive. At least this way it has been proven to work.

Not wrong-handed though so I have to pass.
Eliminatus
AG
Also, I REALLY need to get around to reporting an LCP that was stolen about 7 years ago...
maddiedou
AG
Lg ag. Text me 979-8two o l87o. Tomorrow about gun. Thanks
LGAggie
AG
SanAntoneAg said:

Yup, technically and grammatically correctly, and so on and so forth, etc etc etc, we were burgled.
LGAggie
AG
maddiedou said:

Lg ag. Text me 979-8two o l87o. Tomorrow about gun. Thanks

Mysterious...

Will do.
Caliber
AG
Eliminatus said:

Tx-Ag2010 said:

Personally, I see this as a positive. At least this way it has been proven to work.

Sometimes it's wrong eyed, not wrong handed!
DatTallArchitect
AG
Brad06ag said:

Eliminatus said:

Tx-Ag2010 said:

Sometimes it's wrong eyed, not wrong handed!

I have a cousin that way. He's right handed, but shoots left handed (he batted left handed as well).
TxFig
AG
Rufneck said:

The blood makes it MORE valuable..
txknight
I have high quality digital photos of my firearms for serial number and to demonstrate the condition of each gun. Sadly, it paid off to have these. I had several stolen when I was living in an apartment after moving down to League City earlier this year. I recovered almost 100% of their value from my insurance with these photos. No dispute on their condition (I take care of my stuff). Yes, I had them locked up in a small safe-they took the whole safe.
schmellba99
AG
I keep hoping to get that same call one day on my 1911 that I was relieved of when my truck was burgled. My only solace is the hope that whatever chollo pendejo that stole it is out offing other chollo pendejo's with it.
The Wonderer
AG
Some piece of **** punched my door lock last night and acquired my Bersa .380 from me along with 4 magazines.

We need to start cutting the hands off of thieves.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.