Outdoors
Sponsored by

Twin Buttes Reservoir Walk In Archery

5,058 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Lungblood
Lungblood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Despite all the negative stuff I've read online about this place, I'm gonna check it out this weekend? Do my Tom Green county experts have any insight on this one?
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Have not hunted it personally, a buddy of mine has some nice deer on camera out there. Really nice deer.
texag_89
Dirty is right, if they are sneaky and go nocturnal during the season, bucks can get big out there.

Problem is, between the duck hunters and other deer hunters, I think it can get crowded.... crowded enough where just make sure you where some orange.

Now, if you cam get onto the School-land (either Washington County or Llano Co, can't remember which) just south of the airport, then hello!!! Nice deer in there.

Few years back the local "Sub"-Standard Times chronicled a buck who would winter up on airport land just over the fence from the School land and he was a nice 160 or so mainframe 10 or 12 that some drunk-a$$ shot off the baseball fields and took to a taxidermist within a 150 miles of here and got his butt tagged and did some time.

Guess he did not know ole Brutus was famous!

Reminds me of the story my San Antonio buddy told me about a big pet in Hill Country Village a few years back.

PS: Good luck to John and his daughter (Texag handle withheld) this weekend as they are hunting our place in Coke County. A few decent 8 points left. Hope she can get one!!

_89

BCO07
AG
Are there enough ducks to make it worth the effort out there?
Lungblood
Dontcha go fowling up my archery thread with your dirty bird talk.
BCO07
AG
Hmm, sorry. Let's see how to rephrase.

Why would those pos duck hunters even go out there? It's not like there's any birds out there, right?

Seriously that's what I meant, kinda. From everything I understood there is pretty poor duck hunting so I figured deer hunters would have no problem.
texag_89
Ya, not much for the birds and yes not many ducks round here...

I think they are East TX transplants who long for those greasy birds.

Good luck lung.

Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
It's Washington County school land. My family had that country leased from the school for a long time. Cultivated a bunch of pasture in to farm land. There are some awesome deer there. Wish we still had that place.
Lungblood
Washington county... As in Brenham? Why, What, How?
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
The school district owns the land and leases it out. I believe the Schniers family has it leased now.
texag_89
Dirty-8-thirty Ag said:

The school district owns the land and leases it out. I believe the Schniers family has it leased now.

OK Dirty, piecing it together now....I think I know who you are as I know who managed the WCSL for quite a while back in 80's and 90's.

Lung, kinda like the University land tu has out West of here, several East TX ISDs and counties we granted/deeded land out this way for various political reasons way back.

Llano Co land is just North of San Angelo, across Hwy from TAMU Research center and it is sizable - 10-15 sections - and has it share of good deer.

_89
Lungblood
Gotcha. The lightbulb eventually came on.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.