Outdoors
Sponsored by

Cool Texas Monthly vid about from the stand to the table restaurant

1,810 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by doubleag91
carpe vinum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.facebook.com/texas.monthly.magazine/videos/10157710237765364/
SanAntoneAg
AG
Nice video there.

Seems like it's a Yeti commercial, no?
carpe vinum
AG
I saw Yeti on the tag, but heard no mention in the vidya.

Though the elite hunters out in the wilderness for weeks at a time needing subzero conditions from a single cube of ice will see the connection, undoubtedly, and pay any sum to protect their hard won, feeder baited, prize.
The Wonderer
BlockerBLDG
AG
Enjoyed that!
htxag09
AG
Pretty cool video, thanks for posting.

What are the laws regarding killing a boar, deer, etc. and serving it at your restaurant? I have no problem with it, actually think it's great, but could see our government getting in the way.
ENG
AG
Good video, good message
HumbleAg04
AG
Now have a desire to try both the restaurant but mainly visit the meat market.
raidernarizona
HumbleAg04 said:

Now have a desire to try both the restaurant but mainly visit the meat market.
Ditto, but I think I'd be most interested in the butchering/cooking class.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
If you haven't already, get Jesse Griffith's book, Afield, I highly recommend it. He's got some pretty great recipes in there. The "Teal in a Jar" was a pain in the ass, but even my wife, who hates when I bring home ducks, liked it.

https://www.amazon.com/Afield-Chefs-Guide-Preparing-Cooking/dp/1599621142

bmfvet
AG
Yeah, the Afield cookbook is totally worth it.
tlepoC
AG
Eat there all the time. It's a great place.
doubleag91
AG
htxag09 said:

What are the laws regarding killing a boar, deer, etc. and serving it at your restaurant? I have no problem with it, actually think it's great, but could see our government getting in the way.
Short answer: you can't.

Longer answer:

You can't sell whitetail meat.

You can sell Axis, fallow, nilgai, feral swine, etc. provided that It was harvested under inspection. That means either it has to be herded into a trailer and taken to USDA or State inspected facility or it has to be harvested with an inspector present and a mobile kill floor. There are a number of companies that have mobile kill floors, Broken Arrow in Ingram, for example.
The Wonderer
AG
doubleag91 said:

htxag09 said:

Longer answer:

You can sell Axis, fallow, nilgai, feral swine, etc. provided that It was harvested under inspection. That means either it has to be herded into a trailer and taken to USDA or State inspected facility or it has to be harvested with an inspector present and a mobile kill floor. There are a number of companies that have mobile kill floors, Broken Arrow in Ingram, for example.

Is the disparity for whitetail because they are a native sporting species? I assume allowing it to be sold would lead to greater poaching and harvesting and blow the management program out of the water.
doubleag91
doubleag91
AG
The Wonderer said:

doubleag91 said:

htxag09 said:

Longer answer:

Is the disparity for whitetail because they are a native sporting species? I assume allowing it to be sold would lead to greater poaching and harvesting and blow the management program out of the water.
The distinction is that it's a native species and the fear of poaching. That law is a bit behind the times and hypocritical, IMO. Native whitetail can be sold for huge sums of money as long as they are for "scientific breeding purposes".

I don't know the number, but a large number of nuisance whitetail deer are trapped and shot each year under depredation permits. That meat can only be donated. The deer that are trapped could be inspected and sold if TPWD would allow it. The sale of the meat could lift the financial burden of removing the deer off the producer (or municipality). I think that the law hasn't been changed because affected producers and municipalities don't have the firepower to lobby the state.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.