Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best combination snow boots/hunting boots?

2,775 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Lungblood
Badace52
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Need some cold weather boots and would like to get some I could use for hunting/hiking too. Anybody with some good recs?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MizooAg94
AG
There is a huge difference between sitting in a stand hunting (if that is what kind of hunting you plan on) and hiking. You will need two different pair if it gets cold where you are.
Badace52
AG
Not for sitting hunting. Hiking hunts with intermittent snow cover/snowy mountain townsites combo is what I'm looking for.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MizooAg94
AG
I bought an older version of these almost twenty years ago for a hundred bucks at the catalog return center in Springfield, MO. They retailed for two. I had never paid so much for a boot in my life. Mine have a rubber tip that is now peeling that I filled with shoe goo. Also don't have the fancy tongue...but, they are alive and well, still water proof and give incredible ankle support. They WILL NOT keep you warm in the stand but hiking around hunting they are great. For summer hiking I have a pair of these which I paid 90 for at the catalog return center. They are nice but the laces wear out fast and if I tighten them too much my pinky toe hurts. I have no problems hiking around in the winter with the Irish Setters...they hold a special place in my closet, as you can imagine, after all these years. Those boots have shot a lot of turkey and deer. I could send a picture of the old boots if you like
Sean98
AG
My $0.02...

If you are hiking and constantly moving you don't need any insulation in the lower half of the continental US. If you are sitting for long periods of time in real winter then you need 1000+g of Thinsulate. If you're doing some combination of the above them you have to find a sweet spot that works for you. Maybe 400g. More important to me would be fit, and the ability to wear quality wool socks. If you get too much insulation then your feet will sweat when hiking and you'll freeze when you stop and sit still to glass.

Id look at the better brand names (Danner, Irish Setter, etc) in the 400-600g range depending on your personal temperature gauge.
TommyGun
AG
http://www.irishsetterboots.com/USD/product/hunting-boots/02874-vaprtrek-8-mobu-infty-400g

I bought these before the season and they've been great here in WY. Very comfortable, durable, and warm (but not too warm). I've worn them in temps ranging from 60 down to -15 here recently. Even in warmer weather they still breathe well if you're wearing a good pair of merino wool socks.
stdeb11
AG
I bought a pair of these when they went on sale for $50. For what i paid, absolutely no complaints.

Merrell Moab Polar

Probably put over 20 miles of hiking/backpacking on them this past year. They are narrow. I've got normal width feet and found them to be too narrow when they were new, but they broke in nicely. Not overly warm for moving around which is nice.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I would get hiking boots. You can always hunt in hikers but you can't always hike in standard hunting boots.

Go to REI and see which brand(s) fit your feet the best. Keep in mind that sometimes the best combination is a good boot and a good pair of insoles, so look at those as well.
Badace52
AG
Thanks for the recs guys. Taking it all into account I have decided to go with some hiking boots (got real close to the irish setters though.) Ill let you know what I think of https://www.amazon.com/Lowa-Tibet-Trekking-Sepia-Black/dp/B008RIVBGO/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=rangstev1-20&linkId=4fad1edca151d2c410d09bb7865e0ac5 once I've had a chance to road test.
MizooAg94
AG
Nice boots, I don't think you will be disappointed.
Waterski02
AG
Hoffman Thinsulate Winter Pacs. Rebuildable, waterproof, comfortable, not too bulky.
ursusguy
AG
I know Log doesn't care for them, but I've had great success with the Cabela's Meindl 400 Gram Ultralights. I bought them several years ago with the notion of going elk hunting this year.

They are plenty warm for sitting in a stand in Texas. I've covered a lot of miles in Kansas and Colorado, in snow and down into the low negatives, and they have worked great. I'm not sure I have ever gotten a blister wearing them (and I am NOT a 2 sock wearer in cold weather). I did get a bad case of tendonitis, but that may have been due to the weight being carried.

My cousin did have the same boots on the Colorado trip, and his feet did get cold a couple times. But, he is a 2 sock wearer and the Marine in him likes to lace things down way too tight.
GSlice06
AG
I have the same as TommyGun, great for the farm, hoofing it for doves or the cold of deer season.
NRH ag 10
AG
Badace52 said:

Thanks for the recs guys. Taking it all into account I have decided to go with some hiking boots (got real close to the irish setters though.) Ill let you know what I think of https://www.amazon.com/Lowa-Tibet-Trekking-Sepia-Black/dp/B008RIVBGO/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=rangstev1-20&linkId=4fad1edca151d2c410d09bb7865e0ac5 once I've had a chance to road test.
Those are some really nice boots, and with the right socks should be very versatile. I have found that over the calf merino wool socks leave my feet significantly warmer than socks that just come up to mid calf.
thaed137
AG
I have a pair of Irish Setter's Grizzly Tracker and love them. Very comfortable, sturdy, and warm. They are on the warmer side but typically use them either for stand hunting in Texas or Elk/Moose hunting in Montana on up north.
Lungblood
If you want to make those boots almost bomb proof, put some Obenaufs on them.
C4D
AG
Lungblood

not to hijack but tell me more about this Obenauf's
looks legit. Is this your preference for leather care?
Lungblood
I just recently discovered this product. It is the cat's ass.
thaed137
AG
So in this case is ..... "cat's ass" a good or bad thing?
Badace52
AG
Thanks Lungblood, just ordered some.
Lungblood
It's an exceptional boot but you wont truly break them in until you get off the high school FB stadium bleachers and onto a backcountry trail. I'm starting to put Obenaufs on every piece of hard working leather I own. Great product.
Badace52
AG
Ha! Well remembered sir. Gonna go chasing bobwhite in south texas later this week for the break-in and they'll come with me to Steamboat in February snowmobiling. Looking to do a Canadian Moose hunt in 1-2 years and probably elk next year. They'll get some good miles. I make time for hunting/fishing.
mtngoat3006
Check out Schnees. They make great pac boots and hunting boots.
C4D
AG
looking forward to my new tub of obenauf's. the mink oil can take a rest for a while. thanks
bigfoot10s
AG
Just picked up some Danner Pronghorns that I'm pumped to try out. I also have some cabelas insulated for colder days or sitting.
Lungblood
C4D said:

looking forward to my new tub of obenauf's. the mink oil can take a rest for a while. thanks

Good deal man. You'll love the results.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.