Outdoors
Sponsored by

Fishing in Galveston - West End

19,389 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 4040
Post removed:
by user
Premium
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guys, I now know I have a 4000 Penn. Is that too big for the bay fishing in this discussion?

I got also got a 3000 for Christmas but it was broken in the box. Even once replaced though I'd like to have 2 for the same type of fishing on the bay side... kayaks, wading.

Wondering if the 4000 is okay or not.
Salt of the water
AG
It's fine. A tad heavy to throw lures with all day if you're wading, but if you've got it in a rotation, no biggie. It'll do double duty for the bay and surf.

I have a 4000 battle paired with this rod, and 20 lb power pro. It casts 3-4 Oz weights farther than any other roe/reel/weight combo I've tried.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BD5A8GC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483570407&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=Penn%2Bprevail%2B9%2Bft&dpPl=1&dpID=31vknlQ0bnL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1
AG
This is a great thread. I'm trying to get into fishing more so it has been very helpful. I've put braid on my spinning reel and a smaller bait cast reel but want to put it on my larger bait casters that I stick in rod holders with the clicker set in the surf. The third gut looks like it could be over 150 yards out. I have plenty of capacity and would use mono backing, but are there any drawbacks to putting tons of braid on besides cost? Would y'all go up to 30 lb in this situation (Garcia 6500C3/6600C4). Seems like the line comes in 150 yard and 300 yard packages. I think I would just spool up 300 yards over mono backing on each reel. Seems like you could get to the backing pretty quick if a fish took a run if you were out pretty far. What do y'all think?

I also have a much larger Penn Defiance 40LW that I'll definitely spool up with 300 yards.
Salt of the water
AG
Braid and mono for large surf baits is a little counter intuitive. The braid doesn't do well rubbing against the sand so you're better off putting braid on the bottom for capacity and about a 100 ft of mono on top for abrasion (sand) resistance.

I like 50 or 65 lb braid and then 30 or 40 lb mono.
AG
Thank you very much. Had not thought about it like that!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.