Outdoors
Sponsored by

Fishing in Galveston - West End

19,396 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 4040
Premium
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Okay, so I'm 34 and have never successfully fished on my own. I've gone with buddies who knew what they were doing but now I'm ready to try something myself. Yes, this is desperation but TexAgs knows everything - especially outdoors.

This is my 1st post on Outdoors, so take it easy!

I'd like some tips on where to fish, what bait to use, line weights and cork setups and any other tips to start catching some fish.

I've got a house on the West End of Galveston so I'd like to stay that direction if possible. Bay side or beach I'm open but I had the bay in mind at 1st thought.

This is a rod I bought but I'd get another if another is reccomended:
PENN Fierce II Combo Spinning Combos - Black/Red/Smoke - Boat - FRCII6000701MH https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017X79MBK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_.8nsybS7GHQST

Help! Go!
Salt of the water
AG
Welcome! Help us out a little more.

Canal house (lights?), beach house?

Do you have access to kayaks (I'll assume no boat)?

4x4 vehicle? Or at least truck/suv that could drive on packed beach?

Are you wanting to catch some fish to eat, or just looking for a tug?

That rod/reel is way overkill for the bay, but serviceable (not ideal) for the surf. Look for a 2000-3000 sized reel combo for the bay.
Post removed:
by user
DoubleOught-BMA
AG
Sportsmans Rd is a good one. Another one to try is Park Rd 66 (just pass 13 mile road). Follow that back and you can walk in to Dana Cove. Even when we had a house and boat on the west end, we'd still fish Dana quite a bit and we had some of our best days in there. Depending on the tide, it'll hold plenty of everything (Specks, Reds, Flounders and other "trash" ) If you want to go simple, just throw a 1/4 oz silver spoon or a soft plastic.
Salt of the water
AG
Odds are you'll be on foot getting started. You're going to want some waders if you want to start anytime in the next few months. Magellan (Academy) mag 2 breathables are good for the budget, you'll want to try some on in the store and then find some wading shoes that fit over the booties.

Learn at least one good knot (I prefer uni-knot) well enough you can tie it quickly without thinking. Practice at your desk, in front of the TV, or wherever until you can tie it by feel / muscle memory.

You already have some recs for wading in West Galv. There's plenty of fish in all the coves, it's just a matter of figuring out which ones you can access easily / legally. Ray Crawford has a kayak / wade fishing book that will knock down your learning curve.

Flounder run should be on with this good cold front. Seawolf Park is a hot spot. Slowly drag a gulp curly tail on the bottom.

Lots of fish down by SLP also (flounder run there too), but be careful with the quickly changing bottom and strong currents. I'm sure you've seen the drowning headlines, wade with a PFD in that area even if it's uncomfortable.

Here's some surf fishing tips I copied from a previous thread to supplement the info you're getting about bay.

I break surf fishing in to four general categories based on tackle, target species, and bait. There's no hard and fast rules with any kind of fishing, but this is what works for me.

1. Wading for sport fish (mostly trout). Often done with inshore tackle, throwing artificials or live shrimp under a popping cork. Some people throw live croaker when they're available also. This type of fishing is very popular on the upper coast in the Galveston/surfside area where the sandbars are wide and flat. Ideal conditions are flat and blue/green water. Most people do this in the summer, but the trout are there year round, they're just a little more lethargic in the winter (this means corky lure time).

2. Soaking smaller bait for bottom fish such as, whiting, black drum, sheepshead, and the occasional slot redfish. You may end up catching a bunch of hardheads doing this, but if they get too thick just relocate. Your bay rig can do double duty here, but a slightly heavier rod is nice to handle heavier weights. My favorite setup for this type of fishing is an 8' rod with a 3000 size reel. I use a cheap pre-made double drop rig (Walmart), 1/0 kahle hooks, and a 3 oz spider weight. For bait I like fishbites tipped with a half inch piece of peeled shrimp, sometimes they hit just the fishbites alone. I get whichever unfrozen shrimp from HEB seafood section is cheapest and keep it on ice. Frozen shrimp like you get at the baitstand will turn to mush in the surf and not stay on the hook. I usually put out 2 rods per person (use PVC pipe holders) and vary the distance from shore until we figure out how far out the fish are.

3. Soaking bait for bigger bottom fish like sharks, bull reds, and big uglies (large black drum). You can also do this with an inshore rig, but you're lobbing some pretty large weight and bait and have a good shot at getting spooled. The combo you bought would be good for this. I like a 10 ft rod and a 6000 size spinner or 6500 abu. For terminal tackle, I use 100 lb mono leaders, usually tied with a 3 way swivel (24" to barrel swivel to mainline, 18" to 7/0 circle hook, 24" to weight), and 5-8oz spider weights. For bait I use a 4"-8" chunk of either cut mullet, half crab, or cut whiting. The fresher the better, so any small croaker or whiting I catch on my lighter rigs (number 2 above) gets sent out as bait, as well as any large cast netted mullet. I'll send out smaller whole mullet live (3-5") but I've actually had better luck with the heads of larger cut mullet.

4. Soaking big baits for big sharks. You're looking at jet-ski or kayak deployed baits, 30 or 50 wide trolling reels, and probably a tower to do this effectively. Common baits are stingrays, jacks, huge mullet. Catching big sharks is a blast, but it can get expensive quickly. Not many people dive into fishing like this. I'd start somewhere else and get some experience first.

For both 2 and 3, you want to get your baits in the deepest part of the guts, because that's where the fish cruise to avoid getting thrashed around by the waves. Vary your bait placement until you start catching fish. Water clarity and wave action aren't really a big deal, fish will eat in nasty brown water with 5 ft waves, but it's a pain to get bait out and set.

The waves come up on a sand bar which pushes the water up, and makes it break. The breaking action digs out a trough (gut) in the sand bar. You can try and cast just in front of the breakers, or wade out until you get a feel for where the deep spots are.

Every beach is a little bit different. High island - Galveston beaches in general are slow sloping and pretty flat for a long ways out, say waist deep for the first few guts. As you move further south (Sargent Matagorda) the guts get a little deeper, maybe chest deep in the first few guts. Even further south, PINS SPI there are places where you cant touch the bottom in the second gut.
raidernarizona
My only rec is if you haven't used that combo yet, return it and exchange it for the Battle II. I have both and the Battle II is so much smoother and worth the extra $30
IslandAg76
AG
Quote:

Lots of fish down by SLP also (flounder run there too), but be careful with the quickly changing bottom and strong currents. I'm sure you've seen the drowning headlines, wade with a PFD in that area even if it's uncomfortable.

Just adding emphasis.

Also PFD if going to wade the surf wearing waders. There are typically 3 "bars" and guts off the beach--gets deeper, shallower, deeper, shallower, etc as you get farther from shore. You have a problem if you slip and/or a wave fills your waders and no PFD
Finn Maccumhail
AG
raidernarizona said:

My only rec is if you haven't used that combo yet, return it and exchange it for the Battle II. I have both and the Battle II is so much smoother and worth the extra $30

I'll second this advice and if you're going to be targeting trout and the like with plastics or shrimp or croakers you don't want the 6000 size. You'll want to go no bigger than the 3000 size Penn Battle II.
Premium
AG
Salt of the water said:

Welcome! Help us out a little more.

Canal house (lights?), beach house? beach cottage in Pointe West

Do you have access to kayaks (I'll assume no boat)? I have two kayaks but they aren't fishing kayaks. Maybe I can get some sort of setup to allow them to convert into a useful fishing kayak?

4x4 vehicle? Or at least truck/suv that could drive on packed beach? minivan (wifes, yes embarassing to type that), but I can get back to the point where everyone is surf fishing (by bridge) and back through many of the dunes to the bayside.

Are you wanting to catch some fish to eat, or just looking for a tug? fish to eat would be great

That rod/reel is way overkill for the bay, but serviceable (not ideal) for the surf. Look for a 2000-3000 sized reel combo for the bay. got ya, that's what everyone after you keeps telling me. I'll have to go get a few more combos.
Question for all... any experience with Galveston State Park? they have some bridges out over the water that seemed like there'd be some decent fishing...
Sean98
AG
I don't have anything to add other than I like this thread and feel like it's what the OB is really all about. Good luck to the OP.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Those bridges are over really shallow water and I would not recommend fishing them. You might get a stray redfish if you stayed there all day, but that is not where you want to spend a lot of time. For a relative novice, during winter, I would recommend going to the 91st street pier and soaking dead shrimp on the bottom with a pretty small hook and a mid sized weight on one of the prefabricated leaders with the snap swivels. You will catch something and it might be good.
Salt of the water
AG
Run what you brung. No reason to get a new/fancy kayak. Get some decent bay tackle first and make sure you like it before you worry about getting a new yak.

All the canal houses with lights are open game for you to fish. Just be courteous and don't fish one if people are out on the dock. Cold weather moves the fish deeper so winter time can be solid in the canals. Jamaica and Sea Isle are close to you and good bets. Put a couple lights on the yak and putter around at night to see what's happening.

You can always paddle out to a flat and wade instead of fishing from the yak. Maggies cove out of sea isle has a decent hard bottom. Work the drop offs next to the geotubes. I've never fished GISP, if I'm launching at the boat ramp in Jamaica I usually head south to Jumbile. I'd imagine the fishing at the state park is about the same there, decent sight fishing opportunities for reds back in the marsh, good trout and flounder fishing in the deeper parts of the coves.

Edit to add:
If you cross the bridge, there's lots of good kayak water on the other side of SLP. Cold pass and titlum tatlum hold fish pretty consistently as well. Christmas can be hit or miss in the summer, but is usually pretty good for fall and winter.
CoastalAgg
Honestly the shoreline on the A&M Galveston campus is great for flounder this time a year have your student id or ring on you though since its closed to the public but students and alumni are more than welcome. The shore is on the Galveston shipping channel so it gets a lot of fish traffic but its also heavily fished at times by the students. ill usually throw just a jug head with a gulp for the flounder and Ive always had decent results with that.
If you kayak out to the back of the state park where all the holes are (not sure what they are you can see them on google maps though) the fishing back there is great, Ive heard of people getting reds flounder and trout stacked up on each other i haven't done quite that well but Ive never had a bad time there.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
There's no need for a new kayak. When I kayak fished I subscribed to a KISS philosophy. If you don't have any kind of rod holders go to Academy and get a couple of the Scotty rigs. They have a base you screw into the yak and a holder that can pop in and out of the base. Beyond that you don't need much at all- maybe just some kind of stake-out system to anchor the yak if you want to get out and wade.

I'd suggest going and exchanging your 6000 rig for a 3000 size rig. Then as for lures I'd suggest the following:
- a couple Johnson Sprite in gold & silver; add a split-ring and swivel to the spoon to decrease line twist
- a couple packages of jig heads in 1/4oz and 1/8oz size
- package of 3" Berkley Gulp Shrimp (natural or new penny colors are good)

If you're using a spinning rig you can also get a topwater or two that doesn't require you to "walk-the-dog" like a Chug-bug.

But all of the above can fit into a pretty small wading pack. You'll also want pliers and cutters of some sort.

As for places to go, I'm not giving anything away here but Pointe West area is where I really cut my teeth in saltwater before I had a kayak or boat of any kind. I'd wade the surf (still do when it's right) and wade the areas posted here. Winter conditions change the game a bit but these spots will produce year round. They're not secret and you will have a lot of company but you will catch fish. And most of the bottom here behind the pass is clean, hard sand so it's easy to wade and since Ike there's been a lot more grass beds growing up.

raidernarizona
Quote:

I'd suggest going and exchanging your 6000 rig for a 3000 size rig.

I agree, sorry I didn't even look at the reel class. Both of my Penns are 3000's and they are the perfect size for what you are doing. I think a 6000 will be cumbersome in size. This Sufix 832 braid casts like butter on my Battle. I have 30# on mine, but you could obviously get away with less.

http://www.rapala.com/sufix/braid/832-advanced-superline/832-advanced-superlineandreg/832+Advanced+Superline.html
TxFig
AG
If you have a house near there, my advice would be to join the 2Cool Fishing forum and find a bunch of fishing buddies (preferably those with boats). Trade staying in your house for fishing with them (and learning from them).

http://2coolfishing.com/forum/index.php

And invite me...
Premium
AG
TxFig said:

If you have a house near there, my advice would be to join the 2Cool Fishing forum and find a bunch of fishing buddies (preferably those with boats). Trade staying in your house for fishing with them (and learning from them).

http://2coolfishing.com/forum/index.php

And invite me...

So do you have a boat to trade? Or are you like Flash Seats where you hook people up and take a cut of the pie?
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Also- buy this book: Wade & Kayak Fishing the Upper Coast of Texas

It can help flatten your learning curve. It did for me.
Tx95Ag
AG
There is a guy on the 2cool surf fishing board putting together a surf fishing seminar. Might still be a few openings.
FroggieBreath
Will an Aggie ring really work? Will the university police recognize this? My Aggie alum friend got politely told to leave about a year http://www.tamug.edu/police/campus_regulations/Fishing.html

Premium
AG
Love the suggestions and tips; I'll get the book and a Battle ll 3000. I also think I'll try a variety of spots suggested including a Kayak with the Scotty rod holder that was suggested.

Things are still cloudy on gulp and other artificial baits/lures... corks... hooks... line... weights. Just trying to fill out an Amazon wish list if anyone wants to give me links to actual products.
SanAntoneAg
AG
I'll piggyback this thread. I will be at a conference in Galveston late February. I've got all the wade fishing gear as my home waters are the upper Laguna.

That being said, and knowing that weather/water temp and conditions are the big crapshoot, can the west end Galveston park and wade spots still be productive in late February?
Premium
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

There's no need for a new kayak. When I kayak fished I subscribed to a KISS philosophy. If you don't have any kind of rod holders go to Academy and get a couple of the Scotty rigs. They have a base you screw into the yak and a holder that can pop in and out of the base. Beyond that you don't need much at all- maybe just some kind of stake-out system to anchor the yak if you want to get out and wade.

I'd suggest going and exchanging your 6000 rig for a 3000 size rig. Then as for lures I'd suggest the following:
- a couple Johnson Sprite in gold & silver; add a split-ring and swivel to the spoon to decrease line twist
- a couple packages of jig heads in 1/4oz and 1/8oz size
- package of 3" Berkley Gulp Shrimp (natural or new penny colors are good)

If you're using a spinning rig you can also get a topwater or two that doesn't require you to "walk-the-dog" like a Chug-bug.

But all of the above can fit into a pretty small wading pack. You'll also want pliers and cutters of some sort.

As for places to go, I'm not giving anything away here but Pointe West area is where I really cut my teeth in saltwater before I had a kayak or boat of any kind. I'd wade the surf (still do when it's right) and wade the areas posted here. Winter conditions change the game a bit but these spots will produce year round. They're not secret and you will have a lot of company but you will catch fish. And most of the bottom here behind the pass is clean, hard sand so it's easy to wade and since Ike there's been a lot more grass beds growing up.

The only place I actually fished is where you said "fish this gut". I had about an hour after getting rod and reel 1st week of November. Haven't been back since. Used live shrimp with a small hook through the horn - with weight and cork. Fished from the shore but was able to get it about half way out there and the currents would sweep it to the east.

Was I on the right track?
Post removed:
by user
Sean98
AG
... Sounds like a good opportunity for someone to quit their job and set up some sweet squatter camp until third comes back to the mainland.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Pretty much- it's been a while since I fished there but that gut got fairly deep near the eastern edge of it. And it's not very far across. It used to drop off really steeply from the shore and was over chest deep on me (I'm 6'3") before rising fairly quickly again and having a small flat in between where you would park and that small marsh island.

I always found it best when the tide was really moving because the trout would hold in the deeper section and wait for bait to get pushed to them. Flounder too- they'd just sit on the bottom and wait.

I would typically fish pretty deep too. Just cast your lure up-current and let it work back to you on the tide. I didn't catch a lot of reds here but caught a lot of fat trout and flounder.
Premium
AG
what kind of bait/setup with weights/cork/etc do you use there? My knowledge is very basic right now so I'm not sure how to get to the right depths, etc.
Salt of the water
AG
Premium said:

Things are still cloudy on gulp and other artificial baits/lures... corks... hooks... line... weights. Just trying to fill out an Amazon wish list if anyone wants to give me links to actual products.
You've mentioned baits vs lures a couple times. Here's my opinion on the two.

Bait Pros: will often out produce lures, less work to fish with it (less casting and reeling), more variety of fish will hit bait than lures
Bait Cons: a lot of work to catch (or buy), keep alive, lug around, keep cold (if dead), etc. Will most likely mean more "trash fish" like hardheads. Hard to cover a lot of water with bait.

Lures Pros: easy to buy, store, pack, and carry. You are constantly casting and reeling so you can cover a lot more water. New advances in scented lures can sometimes out fish bait (pro-cure scent or gulp lures). I think constantly working a lure is more engaging than casting out a bait and waiting, but it's not for everyone. Less likely to catch hardheads . Much easier to wade with lures than bait.
Lures Cons: requires more work to do the casting and reeling, you have to learn how to work some lures, less likely to catch some good eating fish like croaker, sheepshead, or black drum.

You don't have to commit to one way or another. A lot of people start with bait and then migrate to lures. As long as you're having fun and catching a fish every now and then who cares how you do it.

Some product recs and more info below. Mostly personal opinion so take it with a grain of salt. Note: quite a few of the lures and tackle are marked up on amazon when compared to academy.

Main line - Power Pro Braid is a common brand (Finn and Suffix are just as good if not better). 15-20 lb is plenty for the bay. I'd only go higher if you fishing in really thick oyster. Smaller diameter line will allow you to cast farther (I use 10 lb).

You can go with 10-12 lb mono instead of braid if you want. But I'd recommend braid.

Leader - Fluoro Leader is virtually invisible, low stretch, and very abrasion resistant. Again 20 lb is sufficient, go up to 30 or 40 if you are getting broken off.

Leader length and attaching to your line - a lot of people recommend tying about 6 ft of leader direct to your main line. I prefer using a small swivel tied to my main line, with about 12-18 inches of leader tied to that. Try both, see what works for you. Spro make a nice strong small swivel that doesn't catch a bunch of weeds.

Hooks - If you are fishing dead bait on the bottom with your pole in a holder, i'd use circle hooks. Gamakatsu 4/0s should pretty well cover you for bay species.

For live bait I like a Kahle (live croaker) hook

Corks - A popping cork can be a deadly tool in your tackle box. The popping noise sounds like fish feeding and causes other fish to come in and investigate. Usefull with bait underneath or an artificial lure.

Weights - consider some egg weights in assorted sizes to rig up a carolina rig for mullet / croaker / mud minnows on the bottom. Can be used for lures too.

Jig Heads / Jigs - Jig Heads are how we commonly fish plastics in TX. There are other ways to rig them (see carolina above, or weedless ala bass fishing), but a simple jig head is a good place to start. Get some assorted weights to start with (lighter for shallow water, heavier for deeper water).

Buggs jigs are pretty popular with the flounder and redfish sight casting crowd. They're like a jighead with some extra bling.

Plastics
Gulp scented lures are very popular for a reason. Their scent makes them kind of a hybrid between bait and lures. I'd reccomend Chartreuse curly tails and new penny shrimp to start with.

Another favorite plastic of mine is a wedge tail or paddle tail baitfish imitation. I like the tuxedo cocahoe for a mullet looking lure.

The spoon - One of my top 3 lures is a gold weedless spoon. Just cast and crank, its that simple. I'll often dress it up with a grub on the hook to give it a little more action.
Premium
AG
Do fish eat Gulp or does it work like lures that are reusable? I get the scent part but I'm wondering if they actually eat the thing or it gets left on the hook even if they try to eat it.
Post removed:
by user
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Premium said:

Do fish eat Gulp or does it work like lures that are reusable? I get the scent part but I'm wondering if they actually eat the thing or it gets left on the hook even if they try to eat it.

It gets left on the hook. They're tougher than most other soft plastics and will withstand a lot more fish than other plastics.
Post removed:
by user
Premium
AG
My OP was misleading - my reel is either the Fierce 2 4000 or 3000. It's at the beach house but I'm at the store and know I didn't get a 6000.
Premium
AG
Were you talking about the 3-4" Gulp Mullets?

Berkley GSSM4-CH Gulp! Swimming Mullet Fishing Bait, 4-Inch, 10-Pack, Chartreuse https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001H0G1YQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_srdtybYW0JWH9
AgLA06
AG
He hasn't even mentioned his wife yet!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.