Outdoors
Sponsored by

The Ghost Buck

4,129 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by texag_89
Blue Duck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

This evening, he messed up. I finally caught up with my ghost deer. He had been invading my dreams and robbing me of sleep for a good month and tonight I can finally rest without wondering if someone else had shot him or he'd been hit by a car. I've had him on camera for weeks now but only 1 time in the daylight. I caught about a 5 second glimpse of him a week ago as he was chasing a doe and that did nothing but make me crazier. Tonight, a pretty little doe led to his demise.

\

I was hunting a wheat field and hadn't seen much until 5:40 or so. A lonesome doe came walking out into the field and this guy appeared out of nowhere behind her. I knew it was my deer and it was getting dark so I didn't waste any time in taking my shot. I shot and he ran ... and ran... and ran... and made it all the way across the wheat field and stopped to look at me before hopping a fence. I began to question every choice I had made in my life that led to this point. Long story short, he had a giant hole in both lungs and I don't know how he ran as far as he did. He died about 50 yards off the edge of the field and I found him easily after a tense 30 minute wait.

The good part was he scored 148 2/8 which is a great buck. The bad part was that he had broken off 2 tines in the last week that would have added at least another 10 inches, which would have made him an even greater buck. I'm proud of him, I'm proud of myself for getting him and I'm also pretty sad that the chase is over.

So long Mr. Ghost Buck.
always gig em
AG
Nice
26 Power
AG
Congrats on a beautiful buck!
agsalaska
Arod3006
AG
Nice buck! Congrats!
cuz-i-can
trip
AG
Wow. I am chasing my ghost buck now. Hopefully the story ends the same

What county was this buck in?
KatyAg01
txaggie02
AG
Awesome deer!
drummer0415
FirefightAg
AG
Good deer and good pictures
Sean98
AG
So. Awesome.
jaguar
Outstanding buck and great story. He's a wall hanger! It's amazing how far they can run if you lung them.
AgEng06
Blue Duck
AG
This was a Wise County buck. I think the last couple of years we've really seen the benefits of antler restrictions and may have gained a year on our average buck age.

This is the first animal I've shot with a Berger bullet that ran out of sight so I was definitely worried. It was wild, he acted like nothing at all was wrong after the shot. 150 yard shot, 300 win. mag, slight quarter away, 2 inch exit hole... and he ran like his butt was on fire. Crazy.
dr_boogs
AG
Amazing deer and story, thanks for posting. Amazing how tough these animals are.
schmellba99
AG
Outstanding deer!
Floorguy
FSGuide
Congrats! That rack has lots of character. I love it.
Blue Duck
AG

He does have some nastiness to him. I don't know what causes it but he had a few weird characteristics.
MROD92
MasterAggie
AG
Cool buck! Congrats.
Jason C.
AG
I'd frame that feeder picture and hang it near the mount.
OhAggie98
Chickenhawk
Yup. Would mount.

Congrats op.
jpb1999
AG
Looks bigger than a 148... sure the missing tines only add 10? I see one tine broke that alone could add 10...
Blue Duck
AG

He broke off the extra brow tine on his left side which I was thinking is around 6 inches long and he also broke the fork off of his G3 on his left side which I'm guessing is around 5 inches or so. That would have gotten him dangerously close to 160 or 161 which I had originally guessed him at.

On a side note, has anyone ever had a taxidermist repair broken tines? I've got mixed feelings about it but he had just broken them off in the last few days and I am having thoughts about getting them repaired.
Floorguy
Blue Duck said:

He broke off the extra brow tine on his left side which I was thinking is around 6 inches long and he also broke the fork off of his G3 on his left side which I'm guessing is around 5 inches or so. That would have gotten him dangerously close to 160 or 161 which I had originally guessed him at.

On a side note, has anyone ever had a taxidermist repair broken tines? I've got mixed feelings about it but he had just broken them off in the last few days and I am having thoughts about getting them repaired.

That's a great deer! I did have a tine repaired one time. It was a 5 inch tine between the brow and G2. It was actually broken in a fight that I was lucky enough to witness, and I ound the broken tine on the ground. My father in law had one fixed with the help of a picture like yours. Looks just like the pic and original tine. If your taxidermist feels confident in ability to replicate the tines, do it. Why not? Good luck.
FriscoAggieFan
AG
Awesome!
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
No real thoughts on repairing the tines, but I think there's a certain beauty in the character of that rack
rwv2055
AG
Firstly, great buck. Congrats. But I will tell you the same thing I tell everyone that I've ever guided, if he's moving, keep shooting! Shoot at him running, shoot at him when he stops, and if he's on the ground, but still moving, shoot him again.
texag_89
Man, those rarely work out where they go down, so that is an extra that puts that buck into the stratosphere.... oh ya, and he is a damn good buck anyway!!!

Congrats and I love stories like these.

Enjoy that sucker on your wall.

_89
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.