Outdoors
Sponsored by

Uninsulated hunting boots

3,049 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Texas 1836
bigfoot10s
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Need some recommendations. I have a pair for cold weather, looking for something for warmer weather. Cousin I hunt with has a pair of tactical boots he wears almost exclusively, and is very happy with them. What does everyone wear out there? Tactical? Rubber?
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
I love my Vaprtrek boots by Irish setter. Got them uninsulated and figured I could just wear better socks if it's cold enough. They are comfortable and waterproof.
shaynew1
AG
Leather workbooks or mucks dawg
shaynew1
AG
OR moabs.
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
I have the Danner Jackal II and love them.
BurnetAggie99
Danner
TamuKid
AG
Dirty-8-thirty Ag said:

I love my Vaprtrek boots by Irish setter. Got them uninsulated and figured I could just wear better socks if it's cold enough. They are comfortable and waterproof.

+1
Log
AG
Asolo/Vasque/Lowa
Sean98
AG
bigfoot10s said:

Need some recommendations. I have a pair for cold weather, looking for something for warmer weather. Cousin I hunt with has a pair of tactical boots he wears almost exclusively, and is very happy with them. What does everyone wear out there? Tactical? Rubber?
How do you hunt, how far do you walk, what do you need the boots to accomplish?

If you're just walking for a pickup to the blind then Log's Lowa recommendation is going to be expensive overkill. If you're going to be walking all over creation then rubber boots are just dumb. Different tools for different jobs, and I don't know what job you are trying to do at this point.
Sean98
AG
Dirty-8-thirty Ag said:

In theory maybe, but if you're talking really cold weather then this is NOT a good option. Because boots that fit well with warm weather socks will be MUCH too tight with quality cold weather socks. This actually makes the boot fit too tight and squeezes out all the space that warm air could/should be trapped. Wearing a quality cold weather sock in this situation could actually make your feet colder if it makes the boots too tight fitting.
bigfoot10s
AG
Sean98 said:

bigfoot10s said:

If you're just walking for a pickup to the blind then Log's Lowa recommendation is going to be expensive overkill. If you're going to be walking all over creation then rubber boots are just dumb. Different tools for different jobs, and I don't know what job you are trying to do at this point.

We do a lot of walking around the land, so something comfortable would be nice. I was looking at the Irish setters, but they don't come in a 15. I could possibly squeeze into a 14, but not sure I want to take the chance.

Other option I've looked at is some sort of rubber boots, maybe LaCrosse. How comfortable are they for walking around?
Lungblood
I bought a pair of Vasque Breeze for around $165 at BPS a couple years ago... Have put a lot of miles on them hiking and hunting. They're pretty good but for more serious mountain hunting and packing I upgraded to the Lowa Tibets... An awesome but pricey boot.
Sean98
AG
bigfoot10s said:

Sean98 said:

bigfoot10s said:

We do a lot of walking around the land, so something comfortable would be nice. I was looking at the Irish setters, but they don't come in a 15. I could possibly squeeze into a 14, but not sure I want to take the chance.

Other option I've looked at is some sort of rubber boots, maybe LaCrosse. How comfortable are they for walking around?
I wouldn't think rubber boots would be your best bet, but if you are going to be walking that much I'd look at Muck or LaCrosse AlphaBurly. Those are the 2 most comfortable in my opinion. I also don't know how big your place is. It's nothing for me to walk 2 miles in my LaCrosse just going in/out to my stand. And in the summer I put a lot more miles on them than that when I'm scouting, trimming stands, etc. so on 2nd thought I guess they'd be fine.

Something like the Danner Jackals or Pronghorns would also be a good option. Vasque would be fine, but they as well as Lowa/Asolo/Meindl are probably overkill for what you're looking at. ...then again a good quality, well fitting boot is worth a lot of peace of mind.
bigfoot10s
AG
Cousin has Reebok tactical boots and swears by them. I'm gonna look into Danners and see if they have my size. I'm not optimistic...
hurricanejake02
AG
Rubber boots + warm weather and any serious amount of walking leads to sore, stinky feet.

Anything designed to keep water out will also keep water in.

Don't get me wrong, I have the LaCrosse Grange 18", Big Chief (insulated and uninsulated) hip waders, and even a pair of PAC 16" steel toes. They're all great boots - ankle tight fit is an absolute must. But if I'm not going to be getting wet, I prefer leather boots.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Love my Danner Pronghorns and I put a ton of miles on them while quail hunting.
bigfoot10s
AG
It may come down to what comes in my size. Found some LaCrosse AlphaBurlys for $95 on amazon. May just go with those if I can't find laceups in my size
Knucklesammich
Picked up some Danners on an amazing deal of the day of all things in 2015 and love them.
AnScAggie
AG
I have a pair of LL Bean kangaroo leather boots that are great. The are goretex lined and warm enough in winter and not to hot in summer. With heavy wool socks they are a bit tight but comfortable in regular socks.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
I'm in Texas dude, it honestly doesn't get cold enough for me to worry about it too much. I've worn them the last couple hunting seasons trudging through snow and water in about as cold of weather as it gets in this part of the world. My feet haven't been cold yet. I did a quail/pheasant/goose hunt in the Panhandle and quite a few deer hunts and quail hunts here in West Texas in the snow the last couple seasons and my feet werent hurting from the cold.

I can see where this may be a pretty large factor if mountain hunting in the back country, where ill-fitting shoes could ruin a hunt, but the vaprtreks have served me well in September while dove hunting and bow hunting, as well as bird hunting in January snow storms.
Sean98
AG
That's why I said really cold. Wasn't criticizing your decision, just didn't want others to read it and make a decision on it without considering the variables.

Also if you're moving and bird hunting you should really never need an insulated boot. I hunt a lot in single digit or slight negative temps when bird hunting and have never felt the need because the constant movement is forcing good warm blood through the foot at all times. It's late winter sitting still on a stand that can murder you. Hell, last weekend at 24* (we haven't been cold yet this year so I'm really not acclimated) my feet got cold enough it cut my hunt short.
ghollow
AG
I have a pair of Red Wings that are similar to their "Wingshooters". They are lace up, waterproof, extremely comfortable and have a flat sole so they dont pick up a lot of dirt and mud. I have used these for hunting for the past 30 years. I only use them for hunting. The first pair lasted me 15 years. On my second pair now and they are still going strong. A little saddle soap followed up with some mink oil at the beginning of each season is all they need.

They are not cheap but they will outlast most any other boot out there.
JSKolache
AG
Cheapo rubber game winners from Academy. They are neoprene lined so have a bit or insulation, but I've got 3 season on em now from Oct - Dec and never been uncomfortable - hot or cold.
FirefightAg
AG
Wrong thread
NRH ag 10
AG
Trail running shoes. Light, comfy, great traction. Gore-tex boots that use synthetic materials will usually start leaking around the toebox after some use.
ursusguy
AG
Had a pair of Vasque Clarions that served me well for 15 years. Wore them for everything from 110 to -10. Just switched out which socks I wore....I rarely wear 2 pairs of socks.
Chickenhawk
I wear some Bellvilles I was issued back in the day. They probably need new soles, though.
Msgt USAF Ret
Before you buy any boot go to Cabela's and try on their Kangaroo Featherlight boots. They are very light weight and very comfortable. I wore mine for about 10 years when hunting and fishing when I wanted uninsulated boots which was most of the time. If you hunt quail you will want these, They weigh 2.4 lbs./pair. Just one of other hunting boots weigh more than that.
agwrestler
AG
While you're at Cabela's, try on Salomon Quest 4Ds.
sportsfan1685
AG
justinbentley - are the Salomon boots uninsulated? I have a pair of Salomon hiking shoes that are really comfortable but are too hot to wear in warm weather.
3rdGenAg05
AG
Tell me more about these boots. They look like something I might need.
stdeb11
AG
Non Waterproof: Merrel Moab Ventilators

Waterproof: Salomon Quest 4D

I put a ton of miles on Moab Ventilators with zero issues. Might be the most comfortable shoe out of the box I've ever owned. I know two friends who love the Salomon Quest and I will be getting a pair for next elk season.
agwrestler
AG
Salomon Quest 4Ds seem pretty flexible and nimble yet has a decent amount of ankle support. The heel cup shape and lace locks have helped eliminate heel blisters. I have a bit of a duck foot so I was always searching for the tight heel/wide forefoot combo. I still had to do some stretching (diy cobblering) to get the mid food wide enough. Wish they made wide sizes.
Scotty88
AG
VASQUE Men's St. Elias GTX Backpacking Boots are what I have been wearing for the past two years.

Walk many miles quail hunting and wore them to Philmont this summer...

They are all leather and don't have to worry about cactus and mesquite thorns. They took a few weeks to break in but with Smartwool socks it wasn't bad.

Vasque breeze and Moab ventilators will not stand up to cactus or mesquite...I know first hand.

bigfoot10s
AG
I'll be getting a pair of Pronghorns for Christmas from the MIL. I know because I bought them and she's paying me back. Excited to try them out
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.