Outdoors
Sponsored by

**** Whack em and Stack em Thread ****

45,830 Views | 381 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Sean98
MarkPro
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good choice of music Sean.
reddog90
AG
Man, would have hated to be that photog.
Post removed:
by user
Finn Maccumhail
AG
third coast.. said:

Which one of y'all demod a Sabine skiff today

I tagged along with a fellow Ag who is in the market and wanted to demo a Sabine after my rec. We live in the same neighborhood.
BCO07
AG
How much are they wanting for those?
Finn Maccumhail
AG
third coast.. said:

Roger that, how'd y'all like it.

I really liked it. Good thing buying a second new boat isn't even a topic for discussion in the Finn household.

My buddy really liked it. But, he's really just starting his research and this is the first boat he's tested.

@BCO07 - they don't have a released price list and I don't want to put out incorrect info so you'd have to email them for a quote but I will say they're more expensive than a new Ankona but less than a new East Cape. Of course it depends on what options you want.

My personal review:
- fit & finish are top notch for an aluminum skiff, right up there with a reputable aluminum builder like Xpress or G3, etc. The welds were clean and neat. That being said, I think you'd need a good while of hard use to fully test out those welds but that's true for any welded aluminum boat.
- electrical wiring is very clean and neat, easily accessible and well laid out
- the Tohatsu 50 tiller really pushes the boat well, we had about 800# of men in the boat and it was pushing it in the low 30s. Being a 4stk it's also fuel efficient and quiet. The custom blacked out paint job is pretty cool too.
- the hull design is very quiet, even poling into the wind and it doesn't slide at all in hard turns due to the reverse chines under the water line, poles easily and quietly, tracks well and spins easily
- with 800# of men and 3/4 full tank of gas it had an honest 6" draft when poling
- the deck layout makes it feel a whole lot bigger than it really is and keeps it a dry boat (by skiff standards)
reddog90
AG
I've been watching his builds come along and they seem top notch. And if they're Sommerlatte approved, they're good enough for me. My only hesitation is an aluminum skiff seems like such a new/foreign concept, I feel like the secondary market would be very small. What are your thoughts on that? In other words, it wouldn't be like selling a used caimen.
Post removed:
by user
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I agree it's a new concept for sure. But, I think a lot of people in Texas would welcome them because of the prevalence of oysters up and down the coast. Personally, I've wondered for years why somebody didn't make a true aluminum poling skiff. And for years people have told me you couldn't make aluminum be as quiet as fiberglass, well I'm not sure I agree with that now after checking it out.

As for resale, I really don't know. I suppose it could be a concern if you don't put in your research and aren't sure how you'll like a poling skiff but that's not something I considered for myself when I bought my panga.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Just missing duck season... ready for a ***ripping lips 2017*** thread.
Post removed:
by user
Shilo
AG
Probably my last hunt of the season. Still have birds in southeast Texas!

230Ag
AG
is goose any good eating? I've never had it. thinking about going on one more shoot for them, but not sure the $$ is worth messing with it.
230Ag
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

how long do we have until duck season again?
Post removed:
by user
230Ag
AG
third coast.. said:

you can make some great sausage or burger with it. plus, if you do it right, theres nothing like 10k geese cycoloning down on you. best thing ever. but it isnt like ducks you ned to be with someone who has done their due dilligence and scouted and knows what field the geese are going to be in. being off by a couple hundred yards can kill a hunt. seriously.\

my buddies were talking about going on a guided hunt, but I told them $200 a person was way too much in my opinion to shoot some geese.
Post removed:
by user
Sean98
AG
230Ag said:

is goose any good eating? I've never had it. thinking about going on one more shoot for them, but not sure the $$ is worth messing with it.
Not great, but can be made edible. That said, a good conservation season snow goose hunt can be amazing. Well worth the money if you're in the right place. No limit, no plug, big spreads. Loud tornadoes of geese in every direction...
BCO07
AG
If you properly dry age the meat and use it in the right application, like chili, it's pretty good. It's no teal/puddle duck, but you're not choking it down either.
230Ag
AG
BCO07 said:

If you properly dry age the meat and use it in the right application, like chili, it's pretty good. It's no teal/puddle duck, but you're not choking it down either.
sounds like I'd be better off just letting a few birds live than wasting money to kill something that tastes like crap. appreciate the insights guys - gonna go fishing instead.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I don't know.... to make matters worse, I am changing jobs and losing my corporate duck lease membership.

My wife is happy though...
Sean98
AG
The guides we used a couple of years ago had a deal with the local food pantry to take the birds if the clients didn't want them.

Seriously, a good conservation snow goose hunt is something everyone should experience at least once.
230Ag
AG
Sean98 said:

The guides we used a couple of years ago had a deal with the local food pantry to take the birds if the clients didn't want them.

Seriously, a good conservation snow goose hunt is something everyone should experience at least once.

Sean- ok - maybe you have changed my mind after seeing that.

you have a recommendation on a good guide to use? or does anyone else have a good recco?
Psych
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I don't know.... to make matters worse, I am changing jobs and losing my corporate duck lease membership.

My wife is happy though...

You're a better man than I....I would have gotten a new wife.
ttha_aggie_09
Bert315
AG
Look up Tony Vandemore on Facebook or Instagram. He just posted a video of his group dropping 600+ geese in a morning. Ran out of ammo or would have kept going.

As far as eating, I tend to make jerky or soak them in brine and make poppers similar to dove.
230Ag
AG
guy looks like he know what he is doing, but he is way out of what I'm willing to spend to shoot geese. Thanks for the suggestion though - he's got some cool videos.
FirefightAg
AG
He's probably one of the top waterfowl guys in the country. He has a business that follows birds from Canada to the central Midwest every year. He's also the one that benelli sent to Alaska to test the SBE 3 on a kind eider hunt. Way too expensive for me as well
Sean98
AG
It's been more than a decade since my hunt so I may not be helpful to you. I would think there would be good options from Lubbock, up through Western Oklahoma, and then through much of Central Kansas. That is sort of the sweet spot.
Sean98
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Caught my first four bass of the year. Nothing to speak of. Biggest was maybe a pound and a half, the smallest about 5 inches, but good fun on the ultralight.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Well start the damn thread then....
Sean98
AG
I figure you guys have been catching fish since January 1. And no pics since I didn't have my phone. And I want sure just how many asterisks were supposed to be in an *****Official***** thread title.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.