Outdoors
Sponsored by

PSA 223 upper with side charging?

9,614 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by VegasAg98
nealan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What the heck? Seems like a great idea, but if it's a great idea why isn't everyone doing it. I'm suspicious of this... Thoughts??

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-18-rifle-length-223-wylde-1-7-15-m-lok-side-charging-upper.html?trk_msg=JJ9EU62CU9K4D4NFQCL84DT0O0&trk_contact=E69VVHN2LTTJLNDAEJL8UHL7MC&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=http%3a%2f%2fpalmettostatearmory.com%2fpsa-18-rifle-length-223-wylde-1-7-15-m-lok-side-charging-upper.html&utm_campaign=Daily+Deals+Email&utm_content=12%3a00+Email

Average Joe
AG
I've seen some other manufacturers do it, too. I think it is just for a niche market that wants them.
maverick2076
As a lefty, I like it. I built an 18" upper with one from Bear Creek Arsenal. $200 for the upper receiver and BCG. If you are a righty, you might be better served by one of the left side non reciprocating CH uppers. They are a little more pricey.
nealan
Seems like a left sided CH would throw the empties across my line of sight. no?
CharlieBrown17
AG
nealan said:

Seems like a left sided CH would throw the empties across my line of sight. no?

No, the handle is on the left. Ejection port is right. Handle doesn't move with bolt

https://newfrontierarmory.com/shop/side-charging-ar-15-stripped-billet-upper-receiver/

225 but literally never seen it in stock. Pretty sure I'm on the email list as well.
nealan
Interesting. I learned something today .
maverick2076
http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spartan_Side_Charge_Non_Reciprocating_Billet_Upper_p/jb-non-recip-upper.htm

In stock with free shipping. I'm 99% positive it is a rebranded NFA one. JoeBob Outfitters is awesome.
nealan
Interesting.. Is NFA a brand and an Act?
dubi
AG
maverick2076 said:

As a lefty, I like it. I built an 18" upper with one from Bear Creek Arsenal. $200 for the upper receiver and BCG. If you are a righty, you might be better served by one of the left side non reciprocating CH uppers. They are a little more pricey.
Does the case eject on the left side for us lefty's??? Is that what this says in plain english?

No more burns on my arm....
CharlieBrown17
AG
nealan said:

Interesting.. Is NFA a brand and an Act?
Always thought that was unfortunate. The brand is New Frontier Armory
maverick2076
Both. I was referencing the brand listed in the post above mine: New Frontier Armory.
maverick2076
dubi said:

maverick2076 said:

Does the case eject on the left side for us lefty's??? Is that what this says in plain english?

No, it doesn't. It still ejects right. However, its like shooting an AK. Its easier to charge with your non-firing hand as a lefty. I especially like it on a scoped rifle. I just find it faster and easier to manipulate.
CharlieBrown17
AG
dubi said:

maverick2076 said:

No, he is saying on a regular side charger the charging handle is on the right and attached to the bolt so and moves like an AK. When I was planning a side charger build I was going to use the non reciprocating because I thought I wouldn't like the bolt and handle coming back like that but that build got an EyeGuy class lower set instead
CharlieBrown17
AG
I think it is as well, came across it when I was researching side chargers
maverick2076
They make good stuff. I have one of their dedicated Glock mag 9mm lowers on my SBR build.
CharlieBrown17
AG
yeah all the reviews I read were really positive. Wanted one of the side chargers for a 20 inch scoped build. Ended up using the class year receiver set instead and a BCM extended CH
Canyon99
Was looking for an 18" barreled upper assembly so I went ahead and ordered it. I've had good luck with all of my PSA ARs.
maverick2076
I've had positive experiences with every PSA product I've purchased.
VegasAg98
AG
I have a .223 side charger from gibbz Arms and a JP Enterprises AR10 (which is for sale by the way).

For long range the side charger's advantage is that you can charge the weapon without leaving the scope.
nealan
Since the time of the start of this thread, I've acquired a BRN 180. It side charges... Can't comment on whether I like it or not as I've never shot it
VegasAg98
AG
nealan said:

Since the time of the start of this thread, I've acquired a BRN 180. It side charges... Can't comment on whether I like it or not as I've never shot it

The operating system in that gun intrigues me. No buffer tube so makes a sweet folding rig.

Report back on how you like it. I know PWS worked on it for Brownells. PWS makes great stuff.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.