Outdoors
Sponsored by

Potential Belize vacation- looking for recs

2,641 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AgTech88
Finn Maccumhail
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So the rib and I need to get away for a few days. I haven't been to Belize in years and then it was one trip to Caye Caulker. The Minister of War & Finance probably wants something nicer than that.

I know several folks on here have made multiple trips and I'm curious about El Pescador as a place for a spouse who will fish a little but not remotely her primary desire.

Any thoughts on doing a VRBO or AirBnB and then booking fishing separately off of Ambergris Caye? What's the fly shop down there to go through?
schmellba99
AG
A friend of mine owns a couple of resorts down there. I'll email you their info.
matthewj042
AG
coco plum
rilloaggie
AG
https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2782999/replies/47212833#47212833

Several tips including my write up on our recent trip. My choice if I ever go back is the Victoria House.
Mr. Dubi
Turneffe flats was quite nice, we had valet diving service there, food was good, service was great.
Hoyt Ag
AG
We are thinking of making a trip down there to mostly dive.
rgarza35
AG

Tres Pescados Fly Shop

JSKolache
AG
Lots of Air BNBs in San Pedro
agneck
Victoria house. No other option. Do it
Random Ag
AG
Have read the 3 or 4 Belize chains here and on Travel board.

If we wanted to split between Ambergris and the mountains (maybe Chaa Creek), how many days would you do in each. At least 2 days fishing or snorkeling and then want to see the cave and do some hiking, but looking for recs on how to split maybe a 7 or 8 day trip.

Xposting on travel board.
DallasAggies01
AG
The wife and I are headed to Belize over the new year. Unfortunately Victoria House was booked when we started looking in August.

We chose not to go the Air BnB route after reading multiple reviews on different places of the homeowner cancelling the reservation the day of or day before arrival.

We're staying at White Sands Cove in a cottage with s full kitchen and it's about 2 miles from San Pedro.

We've booked fishing through gofishbelize.com.

Will try to remember to post review of the trip when we get back.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
DallasAggies01 said:

We're staying at White Sands Cove in a cottage with s full kitchen and it's about 2 miles from San Pedro.

We've booked fishing through gofishbelize.com.
I did both of these solo in August.

White Sands Cove is not upscale by any stretch of the imagination, but was more than adequate for a guy traveling solo intending to fish. They have a nice 100yards of beach front. The pier (like most on the island) was in need of repair following the hurricane. The mosquitoes were fierce at the time, but I had no problems when wearing 100% DEET. They have a little bar and kitchen, but it's quite pricey compared to the public places on the island. They rent bikes for free, but be prepared for a clunker that makes a task out of pedaling into town. The staff is friendly. Without a means of comparison to other places on the island, I would give it 3.5 stars out of 5.

Gofishbelieze was a bit of a disappointment, primarily because of the windy conditions messed with sight casting for tarpon. Abby was my guide...dude could have made it a bit more enjoyable by talking more about fishing and less about his dislike for gringos, religion, and government conspiracies. That said, he does know the waters like the back of his hand, and he put me on some tarpon despite the adverse weather.
DallasAggies01
AG
Thanks for the heads up. We know that white sands isn't going to be 5 star but it was available. Evidently end of December and early Jan is a big tourist time there.

We're going to rent a golf cart too and don't plan on spending much time at the hotel.

Read a lot of great reviews about Abby. Hope our experience is better.
87Flyfisher
AG
Good luck. Winter is the busy, higher price time on Ambergris Caye, that is why we host trips to El Pescador in July and October. Be sure to cross the bridge from San Pedro and visit the Truck Stop for some great food, drinks and ice cream. Abby (Abner) knows his stuff on the water, but he is a differente gato than his brothers and nephews who work at El Pescador Lodge and who are friends of mine.
DallasAggies01
AG
We plan on heading over to caulker Caye for a day too. Any thoughts on can't misses there.
87Flyfisher
AG
Caye Caulker only has one real street so you can't miss much. The underwater cave that has all of the tarpon hangjng out around is a definite must see
DallasAggies01
AG
Thanks 87! After this trip may hit you up on one of yalls trips.
kdm_01
AG
Caye Caulker is a neat island - beers at The Split (hurricane/storm cut the island apart at narrow neck some time ago) are fondly remembered.
And if you're wearing shoes on Caye Caulker you're probably over-dressed.
Snipes
AG
I rented a vrbo right next to the airport on caulker.

$75 a night for 1 bedroom house that had two other houses on property that shared a pool.

House manager was real nice and would bring you cases of beer.

Not ocean front but you get access to a pier one block away.

I think the lazy lizard at the split it gone.

Just got back from isla mujeres off cancun.

Same kinda feel as ambergris but nicer and better food/beer.
AgTech88
AG
schmellba99 - I would be interested in your friend contact info also. We have been going down there for years but alwways looking for new places to stay.

Thanks
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.