Outdoors
Sponsored by

Vet question: Dog ate a bag of flour tortillas

41,431 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Prune Tracy
B/CS Dreaming
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey y'all -- some friends and I brought food to a family who's out of town but arriving around 5 pm. One of our group left fresh HEB flour tortillas on the counter top and came back later to find that the dog had eaten all 20 of them. The dog was gracious enough to leave the plastic behind. Do we need to take him to a vet? The last thing we want to do is stress out this family right when they get home. The dog is a lab mix around 8 years old. He's eaten tons of stuff before and I wouldn't ordinarily worry, but I'm worried these might expand in his stomach and cause problems.

Thanks in advance for advice!
Rick Dalton
AG
Understood. Those HEB tortillas are freaking good.
schmellba99
AG
It's a dog.

He'll **** them out tomorrow, then probably go eat the **** a day or so later just because. And he'll wag his tail the whole time. Well, not whilst having his ****, but before and after without a doubt.

It's a tortilla - flour, water and lard. Nothing there that will hurt an animal that can survive eating cat litter and a week old decomposing carcass of a skunk.
ZoneClubber
AG
If you don't offer him rice and beans with that, then you are a sh--ty dog owner.
ZoneClubber
AG

I guess my concern would be pancreatitis where a dog eats a bunch of stuff he shouldn't. waiting for the DVMs to reply.
B/CS Dreaming
AG
He's not my dog. Your point stands though.
B/CS Dreaming
AG
Other question is how urgent seeing vet might be since the family won't be back during business hours and would have to pay extra for vet service tonight. If it's really urgent I'll take him myself before they get home.
rather be fishing
AG
Our 60lbs lab ate chewed open an unopened bottle of fiber pills a couple years ago and ate every single one of them. She was fine.

I wouldn't worry too much about it unless their "little snowflake has a gluten allergy" or something.
Astrobo
AG
Don't forget to stop at HEB and get some more tortillas.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Should have at least left out some butter or guac, them tortillas get a little dry.
03_Aggie
I know your angst...our male boxer is a carb loading machine. Tortillas, bread, english muffins, hamburger buns...none if it is safe unless it is on the top shelf of the pantry.

The first couple of times I would worry about bloat, or something along those lines, given the amount he would consume. Now I just get pissed off that I have to go back to the store. It really sucked the time he stole the bag with all of the bread in it when we were setting things out for a trip to our property. Nothing like cooking fajitas only to realized the bag with the tortillas is nowhere to be found.
EVA3
AG
We have the same problem with our 14-year-old boy.

For clarification: Our 14-year-old boy will eat an entire bag of tortillas. Our dog will not eat our 14-year-old boy.
skelso
AG
NOT a DVM but have a lab who will eat anything she can get in her mouth...

The first few times she ate things like a whole loaf of bread, I got overly concerned and rushed her to the vet. He always laughed it off. I will pass on the best advice he ever gave me... Don't let the dog sleep in your bed for a few days! You should pass that advice on to your friends because those tortillas are likely to give their dog the screaming s***s for the next day or two...

In all seriousness, the two things that would concern me most are possible grain allergy (just like people, dogs have different tolerances and react differently) and bloat. I wouldn't rush to the vet if it was me but I would check on the dog every hour or so and call the vet if there is abnormality.
BCOBQ98
AG
My Doberman ate the better part of a bag of snack sized snickers including the wrappers one halloween. I know chocolate is bad for dogs but didn't seem to have any adverse issues except me having to help her pass the wrappers that were dangling from her butt.
B/CS Dreaming
AG
quote:
Don't forget to stop at HEB and get some more tortillas.

Already done. Not even kidding. These are going in the fridge.
B/CS Dreaming
AG
I have a 14-year-old and a dog. T&P needed for my wallet and fridge.
histag10
AG
quote:
My Doberman ate the better part of a bag of snack sized snickers including the wrappers one halloween. I know chocolate is bad for dogs but didn't seem to have any adverse issues except me having to help her pass the wrappers that were dangling from her butt.
Not a DVM, but I'm pretty sure a little milk chocolate wont hurt a big dog. Its more so the bakers chocolate and dark chocolate that cause problems, and usually a larger amount than what a snack sized snickers would have.
B/CS Dreaming
AG
quote:

This dog has eaten all of the kids' Halloween candy before and a dozen boxes of Girl Scout cookies another time as well. The friend who left tortillas didn't know he'll eat any carb within reach. Like I said, only worried because flour tortillas could maybe stop him up in a way the other stuff didn't.
Trinity Ag
S
My 45 lb Viszla ate an entire can of Quaker oatmeal.

Twice.

On consecutive days.

Dog was constipated, but sorted it out after a while.

20 Tortillas is nothing for a dog.
I Am A Critic
Feed it some raw eggs, shake it a bit, and throw it on a skillet. If it ****s breakfast tacos, let's start a business.
B/CS Dreaming
AG
quote:
My 45 lb Viszla ate an entire can of Quaker oatmeal.

Twice.

On consecutive days.

Dog was constipated, but sorted it out after a while.

This one made me lol in real life!
BoerneGator
AG
quote:

20 Tortillas is nothing for a dog.
Not to mention a 14 year old boy!
MouthBQ98
AG
My dog once ate a box of 10 individually wrapped granola bars, 9 whole, inside the wrapper, after apparently chewing up the first one some. We peroxided him and he puked them all back up.

I cannot tell you how many things my male collies had gotten into and eaten that they shouldn't have, and they survived, including a large quantity of grapes, and glass fragments from a shattered Pyrex bowl full of rice pulled off the counter, and glass fragments from a shattered bottle of medium hot salsa. They survived it all. Smart and clever dogs can be a pain in the ass.
Texmid
AG
Never take your dog to a tceh game.
Dr.Pete
Not likely a problem. Would not let him drink a belly full of water on top of that or go for any big exercise. Should be fine.
Muzzleblast
Labradorks.

What can you say?

When they eat too much or say chew up a raccoon that's been dead a week or two I give them activated charcoal pills.

It all comes out in the end.

aggiedent
AG
quote:
It's a tortilla - flour, water and lard. Nothing there that will hurt an animal that can survive eating cat litter and a week old decomposing carcass of a skunk.

Yes, but flour is FILLED with gluten. What if he's gluten intolerant? Cat litter and skunk are gluten free. The poor animal might be suffering horrendous pain and suffering as we type. Poor dog.
B/CS Dreaming
AG
Thanks, doc
JaneDoe02
AG
quote:
We have the same problem with our 14-year-old boy.

For clarification: Our 14-year-old boy will eat an entire bag of tortillas. Our dog will not eat our 14-year-old boy.
I have one that's 12. One day he eats nothing, the next day he eats everything in sight. I used to think it was a joke about teenage boys eating so much. I feel like any minute he's going to start eating and not stop until he's about 25.

But my 4 year old once ate 10 tortillas in a couple of hours. He was fine "Momma, my poo poo is big!"

Of course, that one also ate a whole jar of gummy vitamins when he was about 2. Called poison control, they just laughed at me.

aggiepublius
AG
I can tell you a that 28 lb spaniel can ingest a dozen or so Gas-X capsules without any trouble that were in the new screw top chew toy they dug out of a careless left open purse.

So the OP can go with that if bloat becomes an issue.
agdad4x
My boxer ate the TV remote control once - we had to pry the battery and bigger pieces out of his mouth - The little shi* was mad at me for a week because i did not let his finish it
DVM97
AG
Other than being really tired from carb over load, he should be fine.

DVM
BuddysBud
AG
We had a lab-chow mix that was a bit of a snob when it came to bakery goods. Grocery store brand bread and pastries could be kept on the counter without any problem. But anything from Panera would be gone as soon as we turned around.
SteveBott
AG
I've seen the damage a teenage boy can do to kitchen and it's not pretty.

Can you imagine Bruce Mathews grocery bill when his boys were growing up? Yikes
schmellba99
AG
quote:
Feed it some raw eggs, shake it a bit, and throw it on a skillet. If it ****s breakfast tacos, let's start a business.

This is fuggin hilarious!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.