Outdoors
Sponsored by

Vet question: Dog ate a bag of flour tortillas

41,445 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Prune Tracy
jeremy360
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rolling pin and head to the back yard. You can probably make them flat again and salvage a few. After all, you still have the bag.

Ive seen labs pass whole socks...should be fine
Trinity Ag
S
The Viszla is thin -- we run her a lot, and try to control her diet. But she pays us back whenever opportunity arises. If the pantry is left open, or anything is left on the counter, it is fair game:

- Entire boxes of Triscuits (her favorite); including some cardboard
- Loafs of bread (wheat, beer, the flax & twig stuff my wife likes -- makes no difference)
- Entire batches of muffins (chocolate chip, bran, banana)
- The toe off my Lucchese ostrich boots
- inummerable squeaky toys (she eats the fluff, but not the plastic squeeker inside)

When she was one year old, she ate the better part of an Ethan Allen sofa. She literally shredded it, and swallowed a significant amount of foam. She crapped foam for about three days.

She is 8 now, so it hasn't killed her yet.
Whitetail
AG
Pro tip:
Next time you serve those HEB tortillas, heat them up in a skillet for Gosh sakes!
schmellba99
AG
My half lab/half GSP in college ate the following:

• 3 lbs of chili, including the 2 whole habaneo peppers that I had simmering in the chili. I was mad as hell until I realized he inhaled the habaneros as well. The next day, his punishment was dropping a deuce. He literally howled, then ran into the stock tank after. It was actually kind of funny.
  • 1 lb of Country Crock churn style margarine. He later threw that up. I was like cleaning up a gallon of scrambled eggs. Lots of fun.
  • Multiple loaves of bread
  • Anything that went in the trash that I failed to secure. Damn dog was a trash hound from hell
  • 3 day old opossum carcass
  • 2 day old feral cat carcas
  • Lots of cow ****
  • An entire box of Godiva chocolates my mom left out on the coffee table
  • Estimated 4-5 lbs of cat **** from the neighborhood. I did an internship and moved back home for 8 months, and dad would take him on a daily walk. That worthless mutt thought cat **** was a delicacy

My current fat lab now has passed at least 2 dozen socks through his intestinal tract. He has some kind of weird fetish for socks - my socks and my daughters socks mostly. I'll find them in the yard here and there. Not sure what the appeal is, but he takes them outside, buries them for a day or two (I'm assuming to let ferment some), digs them up and eats them. ****s them out a day later.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Our 30lb half lab, part beagle, part who-the-hell-knows scarfed down a giant bag of powdered donuts. And not just any bag. I'm talking about a mondo, supersized, mega bag that was nearly 2 pounds.

The only thing that happened to him was he was fat and happy and eventually took a mega-powdered-donut *****

His name was Gus, but after that, he was forever known as Gus Bag o' Donuts
maverick12
AG
Our dog will eat multiple loafs of bread if we are careless and don't push them back far enough on the counter. He ate a couple lbs of semi sweet chocolate morsels around Christmas last year. Threw up everywhere. Followed up a day later with about 3/4 lb of dark chocolate and a couple days later with an undetermined amount of chocolate bark. Vet visits for the chocolate feasts. Kids kept shutting the pantry so it didn't latch and apparently, the dog really loves chocolate.
GE
AG
quote:
I've seen the damage a teenage boy can do to kitchen and it's not pretty.

Can you imagine Bruce Mathews grocery bill when his boys were growing up? Yikes
His wife talks about that specifically here:

https://texags.com/s/18350/aps-playbook-episode-1-feat-carrie-matthews

FIDO 96
AG
When I was newly married, I had a chocolate lab, and we were staying at my in-laws for Christmas. On Christmas Eve, my FIL's business partner delivered his annual present, a perfectly smoked bone-in ribeye roast. That night we went to the Christmas Eve service and returned to find Ranger, fat and happily asleep under the piano with a 3/4 devoured ribeye roast next to him. I still hear about that every Christmas Eve since.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Way back, wife's little mutt jumped up on a chair that was left pushed out at the dining room table and then on to said table to help herself to about 1/4 of my father in law's birthday cake while we were out to dinner. I'd put it in weight proportion as a person eating about three cakes in a sitting.

She barfed colored globs of goo through the night and into the next morning. Later on, being an ass, I put a plate of cake down on the floor to see what she would do and she left the room.
kw1960
Twenty is actually 140 in dog tortillas.
ZooGuy
AG
I guess I've never had crazy dogs like you guys. I've never fed any of my dogs anything other than dog food - if they even looked at my food, they knew there were going to be issues.

I'm glad I've never had a lab it seems...
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
Feed it some raw eggs, shake it a bit, and throw it on a skillet. If it ****s breakfast tacos, let's start a business.
GinaLinetti
AG
My old lab ate everything. She skinned a pair of Python sling backs, leather bags, trash was a goldmine for her. Finally had to take her to the vet when she ate an undetermined amount of charmin toilet paper (it looked like it snowed upstairs) and a silk chemise with small metal adjustment things in the straps. The metal was no Bueno. That was an expensive trip
DayAg!
S
Mineral oil. Cleans em right out. Used to give it to the cows if they got in the milo bin. They dont know when to stop eatin and that stuff will swell up and kill em. Mineral oil and about 1 hr. later and the dog is good. Just make sure to leave him outside during the process. It aint nice.
AZAG08
AG
We are lucky in that our dog wont take breads or anything. She pretty much turns her nose up to anything other than meat and cheese.

We have to be extremely careful with meat though. She has eaten multiple cooked game hens in one sitting, raw steak, and the meanest I have ever seen her was when she stole part of the rib cage from a turkey and we tried to take it away from her

The funniest was my FIL left a brisket out and when we came back thought she had eaten the whole thing. Turns out she carried it into the living room and licked all the seasoning off it -- made her sick as...well sick as a dog
Aries
Remember those boxes of chocolate bars you would sell for baseball or whatever sport that came in huge cardboard boxes that broke in half so you could carry them easier??

Our dog would eat at least 1 entire box, including the cardboard, every year. We would find pieces of the wrapper or some cardboard chewed up in pieces & that would be the only evidence he would leave behind. My mom would be pissed that she would have to pay for an entire box. He never puked & we never made him puke. He lived until he was almost 20.
saltyoldguy
AG
Recently discarded condoms will pass right on through a dog.

/heard from a friend
FincAg
AG
Our golden doesn't eat human food unless we tell him to. The Porter can toss cheerios from his high chair but Truman knows he can't eat any of them unless we say so. Likewise, he won't touch food on the table. Our biggest problem is his tail knocking glasses off the coffee table.
txyaloo
AG
quote:

• Estimated 4-5 lbs of cat **** from the neighborhood. I did an internship and moved back home for 8 months, and dad would take him on a daily walk. That worthless mutt thought cat **** was a delicacy

I knew a dog once who thought the best thing in the world was eating cat **** directly from the source. It's like he was going up to a soft serve machine , putting his mouth under the spout, and hitting the chocolate lever.

Hilarious but disgusting at the same time.
Fountain
I used to have a beagle that would walk forward as he took a sheet, it really was comical. One day I was watching him do his thing and he ended up making about a two foot circle...then, without skipping a beat, the nasty little bastage proceeded to eat his freshly made circle of sheet. He was a funny little dog, great personality.
GinaLinetti
AG
Had a lab/Pyrenees mix die of kidney failure from horse ***** She loved it b
Wooahhhh
AG
my 11 lb poodle has eaten panty hose, 4 rocks, 3/4 lb of raw hamburger (this scared me the most - but nothing happened) and a joint he found in my shoe (happiest I've ever seen him, with a slight lean going on)
Mathguy64
AG
My current sheltie eats bread by the loaf. Which beats the last one who would eat their own loaf.
BoerneGator
AG
My Lab swallowed a smooth River Rock, about the size of a pecan/walnut, that got hung up in his tract. My son and wife took him to the vet after he had gotten dehydrated. After an $1,800 procedure, he was okay, but I still wonder why/if he couldn't pass that smooth stone with the help of some castor oil etc.
AW 1880
AG
Our lab ate a package of tortillas. My wife googled it and this thread popped up. Then, she says texags is not helpful. It's just a bunch of sarcastic people giving somebody a hard time. I said "yup".
Prune Tracy
Fountain said:

I used to have a beagle that would walk forward as he took a sheet, it really was comical. One day I was watching him do his thing and he ended up making about a two foot circle...then, without skipping a beat, the nasty little bastage proceeded to eat his freshly made circle of sheet. He was a funny little dog, great personality.

Canine Centipede
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.