Outdoors
Sponsored by

Gunfight at the Twin Peaks [Staff Warning on page 47]

326,213 Views | 1928 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by rather be fishing
Potlicker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

They weren't charged with fighting, they were charged with participating in organized crime. "I support the Bandidos", funneling dirty money, setting an agenda to discuss territory, inviting another gang to get ambushed, etc.. All those thing are participating in organized crime whether one pulled a trigger or not.
Yet for some reason, Waco/McLennan decided not to file for civil forfeiture for all 177 people they arrested. If they had probable cause to arrest them, surely they had the evidence to meet the lower burden of a preponderance of evidence in the civil forfeiture proceeding.

It looks like they said they did but they didn't due to the amount still owed to the banks on the vehicles by the people they arrested. Something about it being too much to justify or something.. I'm sure almost everything they're trying to seize was paid off or really close to being paid off so they wouldn't have to dick with 100-some-odd lien holders too in all this mess...
eric76
AG
quote:
quote:
Yet for some reason, Waco/McLennan decided not to file for civil forfeiture for all 177 people they arrested. If they had probable cause to arrest them, surely they had the evidence to meet the lower burden of a preponderance of evidence in the civil forfeiture proceeding.

Forfeiture requires that the vehicle or whatever be used in the commission of the crime. I doubt that is possible with every person arrested.
Is that true?

I thought that it only had to be possible to use it in a crime.

For example, for several years in Florida, the police were stopping cars on the Interstate. If anyone had more than a certain amount of cash on them, it was presumed that they were going to use the cash to buy drugs and so the cash was siezed. For a long time I wondered how much money you had to have for them to presume it was to buy drugs and finally found out it was $100 according to an article on the subject. About the same time in Louisiana, a black teen reported couldn't have more than $50 on him without it being seized if he was stopped by the police.
eric76
AG
quote:
Time will tell. I will say that I have been in the hill country riding solo and pulled in to a gas station and filled up. Went inside to cool off and get a soda and before I was able to leave, over 100 bikes pulled in. Were they average bikers? Violent gangs? As I went back out to ride off, I took a bunch of **** from several of them. Seems they were of the general opinion that I was too big of a guy to be riding such a small bike, and they thought wearing full leathers in that heat was stupid.

I was riding an RS250 Aprilia 2 stroke sport bike. I turned to them, said at least I ride a bike that has a kick starter and not a button, and then reached down, folded out the kick starter, and started it with my hand. Cracked those ****ers up. Lots of them were wearing colors. Nobody drew weapons. Got a nice 2nd gear wheelie heading up the road. Yes, I am part of the problem.

My opinion? The law WAY overstepped its' boundaries in Waco and that is already becoming obvious with what has happened since the 'event'.

I may be stupid, but so far, it has served me well.

The bottom line is that we all have our opinions and a little mutual respect among Aggies would be welcome.
Several years ago on a Sunday bicycle ride with some friends of mine somewhere near Bellville, we stopped at a little country store for something to drink (i.e. Gatorade). While we were in there, a large number of bikers showed up. I recognized the colors one was wearing as being a family type club according to what an old friend from the A&M Motorcycle Club had told me. So as we were leaving, I got on my bike, made revving motion on the handlebar with my hand and went "VROOM VROOM" and started off. Those who noticed didn't seem ticked off about it. The friends I was riding with weren't amused.
chuckr70
AG
It always amazes me that those that are up to no good are the first to cry for their "rights". Everyone knows that the bikers were just a fun-loving bunch of good old boys out for a ride in the Texas sun! Some of us should be the lawmen responding . Do you really think that the bikers were outnumbered? Monday morning quarterbacks--------how would YOU have handled it?
Post removed:
by user
itsyourboypookie
quote:
during biker week in Galveston I was riding my beach cruiser everywhere while my friends were on their motorcycles. I would always back my binge in to their lines like it was a motorcycle wherever we went. I also put cards in my spokes. It was always good for a laugh from whoever was around

Are you a girl or a guy?
Post removed:
by user
8T2
http://news.yahoo.com/waco-police-rarely-dispatched-to-twin-peaks-prior-to-biker-shootout-records-reveal-015135212.html

Once again, the Waco Minister of Information is shown to be a baldfaced liar. This should give you an idea of how much stock to place in the police reports and testimony of Waco PD officers.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Something is definitely fishy...

quote:
"We have been made aware in the last few months of rival biker gangs rival criminal biker gangs being here and causing issues," Waco police Sgt. Patrick Swanton told reporters
But...

quote:
A police dispatch log shows officers averaged less than one call a month to Twin Peaks between the restaurant's opening in August and the May 17 shooting.

Out of eight trips, just two of the calls a car break-in and a domestic assault merited officers filing offense reports. No one was arrested at Twin Peaks in the nine months it was open, records reveal.

Prior to the shootout, an officer had not been dispatched to Twin Peaks since Feb. 26, according to the police log

Cops still claim
quote:
"This criminal element came here to kill people. They didn't come here to drink beer and eat barbecue," Swanton told a reporter at the scene.

And tell you,
quote:
"If police are asking for assistance and you don't listen, bad things can happen."
Wait, was that a threat?

Man, if TABC isn't pissed at a bar there probably isn't much going on
quote:
Law enforcement often recruits the assistance of state liquor authorities in cracking down on balky businesses. But the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission had received no complaints or reports of violations at Twin Peaks prior to the shooting, said agency spokesman Chris Porter.

Funny though the waitress said they have problems...
quote:
Two days after the shooting, a Twin Peaks waitress posted this comment to Facebook: "There are always fights on bike nights, so we expected the usual. Nobody thought it was gonna be taken this far."
From the ones I saw on FB, they weren't the sharpest tools in the shed. Also looked like members of the B-team.

And of course the cops don't have records of these problems but they still claim to know they existed. Something is fishy. If TP was having problems why weren't they calling the cops? If the cops knew something was up, but have no releasable records or records that they admit to, did they have a UC in there?

techno-ag
AG
Council of Clubs meetings were only once a month, right? And those were almost always peaceful, according to posters here. It makes sense the police didn't intervene much with Twin Peaks motorcycle meetings in the past.
JD05AG
AG

Funny though the waitress said they have problems...
quote:
Two days after the shooting, a Twin Peaks waitress posted this comment to Facebook: "There are always fights on bike nights, so we expected the usual. Nobody thought it was gonna be taken this far."
From the ones I saw on FB, they weren't the sharpest tools in the shed. Also looked like members of the B-team.

Let's be honest, it's Waco. There's probably a fight a week at the Chili's.
Post removed:
by user
TexasAggie_02
AG
Wouldn't dispatch have a record of all police activity even if the bar didn't call? I mean surely an officer would let dispatch know that he was checking out business full of motorcycles.
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
quote:
quote:
And of course the cops don't have records of these problems but they still claim to know they existed. Something is fishy. If TP was having problems why weren't they calling the cops? If the cops knew something was up, but have no releasable records or records that they admit to, did they have a UC in there?

The bar has a very strong incentive not to contact the police unless absolutely necessary. If there is a fight it is in the best interest of the bar to throw the participants out and not call the police. If there is a record of the call that can be used against them by tab c or by others. This report is a great example of that paradox.

Trying to claim there were no issues based upon the lack of police calls is extremely short sighted.
The bar may have an incentive not to call the cops, but what about patrons? If there's such a problem there, where are the calls from other patrons?
TexasAggie_02
AG
So the police would be going on hearsay when they tell the press that this has been an ongoing problem, bc they don't appear to have any documentation of it.
8T2
http://www.wacotrib.com/news/courts_and_trials/waco-police-detective-presides-over-new-grand-jury-that-could/article_ae193514-f9ab-518a-9046-7afc454d0351.html

Waco police detective not only named to Grand Jury, but judge names him foreman.

Anyone who has any faith in the criminal justice system in McLennan County, please post here. I want to know if anyone is still drinking the law and order koolaid.
SteveBott
AG
Wow
BoerneGator
AG
quote:
McLennan County District Attorney Abel Reyna was present as the grand jury was sworn in.

"That's the system," he said. "He was chosen totally at random, like the law says."

TexasRebel
Post removed:
by user
VanZandt92

quote:
Two days after the shooting, a Twin Peaks waitress posted this ...they weren't the sharpest tools in the shed. Also looked like members of the B-team.

Let's be honest, it's Waco. There's probably a fight a week at the Chili's.

B team it what sense? Were these these the ones with prominent moles?
Red Fishing Ag93
AG
Wow!!
TexasAggie_02
AG
So the grand jury selection process doesn't disqualify you for conflict of interest?
8T2
quote:
So the grand jury selection process doesn't disqualify you for conflict of interest?
Well, it should, but apparently not in McLennan County, where virtually every Amendment to the US Constitution has been suspended, because, well, they are mere annoyances.

The very purpose for changing the "pick a pal" grand jury selection system was because of a Houston police detective sitting as foreman on a grand jury that indicted a man for killing a cop...the wrong man, BTW. He was later exonerated.
HTownAg98
quote:
quote:
McLennan County District Attorney Abel Reyna was present as the grand jury was sworn in.

"That's the system," he said. "He was chosen totally at random, like the law says."

Bull****. He was randomly selected to the grand jury, but the judge appointed him as foreman of the jury. Nice little workaround since they got rid of the key man system prior to picking this jury.
jpd301
AG
Don carlos video released - Waco Tribune page with condensed version and link to full video (condensed on their page wouldnt play on my computer)

Youtube link for full video

Also looks like it may be an unintentional release by attorneys. they have it tagged as private but don't have the public locked out of it. Waco tribune page updated to say the video was released by the attorney.

Shooting starts at 1:33 in. Watch upper left corner. No "action" but you you see tons scatter through the little corner of view. PD in frame about 90 seconds later. Video is 90 min long.

I suggest putting it on 2x speed if you watch the you tube one. Nothing much to see.
itsyourboypookie
Didn't see much
BoerneGator
Guitarsoup
AG
Pretty sure those cars were involved and should have been arrested. You can tell they were members of gangs by their chrome.
TexasRebel
AG
And the Texas rocker on the license plates.
8T2
Gag order overturned.

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/twin-peaks-biker-shooting/appeals-court-orders-gag-order-lifted-in-biker-s-twin/article_54d1351b-5d1a-5a3a-b084-e5012e2dd89f.html

Defense lawyer smack talk will commence shortly.
techno-ag
AG
Overturn of the gag order appealed:

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/twin-peaks-biker-shooting/da-appeals-th-court-s-ruling-on-twin-peaks-biker/article_a5788cf9-650b-51ae-a58e-a57aef6245b9.html
oneeyedag
Autopsy reports are in:

www.kcentv.com/story/29781247/full-autopsy-reports-released-in-twin-peaks-shootings
AgBQ-00
AG
That is a lot of head shots

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.