Outdoors
Sponsored by

Anyone try to find the Forrest Finn treasure?

4,500 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BenFiasco14
hillcountryag86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have a good friend that knows the man. He believes it's out there.

Just wondered what anyone thought about it.

Should be spelled Fenn
schmellba99
AG
Never heard of it. Story?
hillcountryag86
AG
He's an incredibly wealthy man from New Mexico, Santa Fe I think. He's an art collector and has quite a collection of artifacts. He hid a treasure somewhere around the Rocky Mountains worth $1 - $3 million and published a poem of clues.

My buddy knows him -- wouldn't say they are best friends -- but seems to know him. He believes this is not a hoax. In fact, he's taken time to look for it himself although with millions of acres, he didn't expect to find it. But, he got a trip to the Rocky Mountains.

It's an interesting story. Quite a bit on the internet.
Hoyt Ag
AG
I heard an interview with him a while back and he said a lot of people have come close to finding it, the closes being something like 200 feet away. Interesting story if he really did bury something and publish the clues.
Josepi
AG
quote:
I heard an interview with him a while back and he said a lot of people have come close to finding it, the closes being something like 200 feet away. Interesting story if he really did bury something and publish the clues.

How would he know someone came that close? Is it monitored?
hillcountryag86
AG
quote:
quote:

How would he know someone came that close? Is it monitored?

There are all kinds of blogs on this and he monitors. It's really quite interesting. If you have time to kill, look it up.
Post removed:
by user
OnlyForNow
AG
Someone post the clues. Everyone gives Aggies the short end of the stick but as a collective this is something we should easily be able to handle.
water turkey
DO NOT SEEK THE TREASURE.......
hillcountryag86
AG
It's all over the net. I'll get it.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
quote:

I think this is the most perfect post in ever for the Outdoors board. A gaggle of personalities arguing/debating/carousing in a traveling adventure meeting interesting folk along the way. This is a reality show I would watch.
thaed137
AG
As I have gone alone in there
And with my treasures bold,
I can keep my secret where,
And hint of riches new and old.
Begin it where warm waters halt
And take it in the canyon down,
Not far, but too far to walk.
Put in below the home of Brown.
From there it's no place for the meek,
The end is drawing ever nigh;
There'll be no paddle up your creek,
Just heavy loads and water high.
If you've been wise and found the blaze,
Look quickly down, your quest to cease
But tarry scant with marvel gaze,
Just take the chest and go in peace.
So why is it that I must go
And leave my trove for all to seek?
The answers I already know
I've done it tired, and now I'm weak
So hear me all and listen good,
Your effort will be worth the cold.
If you are brave and in the wood
I give you title to the gold.
Happy hunting!

Is what I found.
2ndChanceAg96
AG
My father-in-law is searching for it. He is retired and has nothing to do. They are actually making a reality tv show about the hunt for the treasure. My both my in-laws are interviewing to be on the show. Very interesting though.
AggiePride07
AG
From my understanding this "treasure" is in like a bronze chest and inside the chest it has all kinds of intrinsic valuables like coins, gems, etc. Just the chest alone would be worth a nice sum.

The key about this whole thing is the guy didn't bury it. He was very smart about this. And the reason why he didn't bury it is because if someone found it and had to dig it up, technically it would property of the National Parks and Services Dept. Someone else maybe with more insight can elaborate more here, but NPS has the rights to anything that's ever technically dug up in a designated National Park.

However, if he just left it "above ground", that includes above ground inside a cave, and someone happens to be so fortunate to find it while searching for it or just someone passing by, then they could rightfully claim it.

Really cool how he thought all this out. He did it so people would get back into searching maps and exploring the wilderness in National Parks and trying to figure out where it is. He takes a great pleasure in seeing and reading about all the treasure hunters.

Side note: A customer of mine took his family camping in one of the National Parks in that area (can't remember which one) and each night before he, his wife, and two boys would go to bed, they would read the poem all together and he would search the map of the area where they would hike and tell his boys in a serious tone that "he knows where the treasure is!" Then the next day they would all go out and all search for it following the map and clues, and of course come up empty handed, but the kids took a real joy knowing that they were in search of this real treasure.

It's out there somewhere...

agfan2013
AG
Had never heard of this until today, but its a really cool idea. I'll probably never go looking for it, but if for some random reason I was around the area you better believe I'd spend a day looking. If I ever get rich and make millions (yeah right), I'm going to do the same thing now...
OnlyForNow
AG
So what is the home of Brown?
Dr. Faustus
AG
quote:
So what is the home of Brown?

Probably a wastewater treatment plant.
OnlyForNow
munch96
AG
quote:

We thought you was a toad...
agfan2013
AG
Another person dies looking for treasure

Bumping this as I saw this Fox news article about the treasure this week. What is everyone's thoughts on this Forrest Fenn guy, fraud or legit? I could see it being a prank just to get people out of their houses to enjoy the outdoors (or make money selling copies of his book) but now 2 people have died surely he'd feel like an a**hole if he was lying....

If there really is a treasure though, I wouldnt want him to pull it. In this day and age, its not hard for people to take enough supplies and equipment to be safe. He said himself, he was 80 when he hid the treasure, its not gonna be up a sheer cliff or anything.
45-70Ag
AG
I hope it's really there.
highvelocity
AG
the treasure is buried in a river. you're welcome. i'll take a 20% finders fee.
Windy City Ag
AG
I think the treasure is legit for sure. And people are indeed stupid. People fall into the Grand Canyon or off the Royal Gorge Bridge trying to take the ultimate selfie. A french family died recently hiking in White Sands recently. I don't see all those tourist destinations being shut down because of those incidents.

I would say attempting to climb Everest is a greater fools errand and yet we let people climb to their deaths every year.
AgEng06
AG
Authorities asking him to end the hunt is fuggin stupid. Where is any personal responsibility for your own life?
Papa_Blaze
AG
This sounds like the perfect OB trip. Survival, treasure, Rocky Mountains, pretty hard to beat
agnerd
AG
AgEng06 said:

Authorities asking him to end the hunt is fuggin stupid. Where is any personal responsibility for your own life?
Agreed. A little more natural selection would actually be a very good thing.
tbone421998
AG
Expedition Unknown on the Travel Channel led by Josh Gates did an episode on this treasure. He didn't find it either. Of course I haven't seen him find too much of what he's looking for.
TxAG-010
AG
Old bump...

Hypothetical here. Seriously I've seen the Outdoor Board / TexAgs solve some of the craziest mysteries. With all of the sleuths we have roaming this site, do you think with "unlimited" resources and time that a Texags team could find the treasure in a year??!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
i have faith if the OB really wanted to get involved, we could do it.
helloag99
It doesn't exist
oragator
4th searcher confirmed to have died.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/02/20/587427220/search-for-buried-treasure-linked-to-illinois-man-s-death-at-yellowstone

I have followed this on and off. Fenn comes across a a self promoter, but several people also claim to have seen the treasure before he allegedly buried it. So I don't know if it's real or not, but I had already planned on a Colorado trip this summer, might be fun to do a bit of searching....no expectation of finding anything of course, but fun to chase anyway. I mean it's kind of cool to say you spent a trip on a treasure hunt - something sort of zen in a chase that you know won't lead anywhere just to do it.
aggieland09
AG
Ive read a bit about this and wanted to chime in. The poem is just the starting point. I think the poems reference stories from his two books. I have not bought or read his two books. Plenty of amazing places he could have hidden it. He also said in an interview after one of the searching deaths that he was 80 when he hid it and he drove to an area and hiked down to hid it and back in his car the same day. That tells alot that it shouldnt be extreme or dangerous to find.

My guess is its somewhere in New Mexico. Maybe somewhere like Alamagordo or Bandelier national monument. Plenty of places there to hid it in caves within walking distance of the road.
BenFiasco14
AG
water turkey said:

Return the slab..........
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.