Outdoors
Sponsored by

6.8 SPC hunting ammo

10,969 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by cledus6150
mneisch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Those using the 6.8 SPC for deer and hog hunting, what is your go-to factory round? I took my first deer with the new build on Saturday (MLD permit) and was not super impressed with the round I selected. I went with the 110 gr Hornady BTHP, which from reading on 6.8forums.com, is an offshoot of their LEO TAP loading, performing more like a SP than a HP. I nailed the deer right in the lungs, but the bullet didnt even make it clear to the other side of the internal cavity, expending all its energy in the lungs. Very lethal but no blood trail to speak of, and if I had not seen it fall, recovery would have been extremely difficult. Needless to say I will be using something else from now on.

I am leaning towards the 115 gr Federal Fusion after seeing its performance in other calibers, though I think it is a little sluggish in velocity right around 2500 fps. Thoughts? I know eyeguy and others really like this caliber for hunting, and I realize its potential, just need to pick better ammo from now on.
cledus6150
AG
If you do a little looking you can find the 95gr barnes TTSX, I believe Wilson makes some. I have some loads worked up but have yet to range test them. From what I have read on 68forum they are a very well liked hunting bullet as you can find factory ammo with velocities of 2800+ with the 95gr. Handloading you can even approach the 3000 mark, which is what I am hoping to achieve.
RebelE Infantry
AG
TSX and TTSX seem to be the favorites. I dropped a buck this year with a 110gr Sierra Pro Hunter from SSA through the neck. I have a bunch of different loads that I'm hoping to try on hogs before next deer season.
Log
AG
I've heard good things about the 110 gr. Nosler Accubond load.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
I run hornady 120 gr A-Max on mine. Love them.
GSS
Check SSA's site for their offerings. Now that they are part of Nosler, not sure what will be selling.
All of mine are handloads: the 95 TSSX's are the go-to out of my Stag, accurate, fast, and tough. My Rem 700 likes the Nosler Accubonds (100gr).
Early work with the 6.8 I was using the Sierra 110 Prohunter, and it certainly worked on both deer and hogs, but the pricey Barnes bullets just give a comfort factor in performance on larger animals. Just always hope load work doesn't require too many recipes
For varmint hunting, the 90gr Speer TNT performs great out of my Stag.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
mneisch
AG
quote:
I run hornady 120 gr A-Max on mine. Love them.

Do you mean the SST, assuming you are talking about a factory load? I don't see an A-Max offering.

I really need to start reloading for this round... $35/20 rounds on the Barnes is madness
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
I'm a dork, just checked. It's SST. I could have sworn it was A Max. I have about 40 boxes in the other room...
aggielostinETX
AG
I am using 140gr game kings.
cledus6150
AG
Yeah reloading is gunna be the way to go with this caliber.
Mowdy Ag
AG
If the TSX doesn't give you complete penetration, nothing will.
96AustinAg
AG
quote:
I've heard good things about the 110 gr. Nosler Accubond load.

I've used both the 100gr and 110 gr accubond and it's never failed to go through and put the deer down (sample size of 6 or so)
Daddio
In my. 6.8 I switched from the Barnes 95TTSX great pass thru just was not happy with exit wound / blood trail, never lost or failed to kill just small if any blood trail!
Went with 110 accubonds we shot 7 deer and and 8 hogs some of the deer were axis bucks over 225 # live weight!
Much better exit wounds and blood trails will stick with Accubonds!
In my new ar 7.62 I will start with Barnes but will switch to Accubonds in a heartbeat !
HumbleAg04
AG
Obligatory 6.5 Grendel is better post.

Carry on.
TEXAG1996
AG
I have always used SSA 110gr Sierra game kings and killed multiple deer and hogs. Left very little blood trail but usually DRT.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
I uses both the 110 TSX and 95 TTSX this season. I think I prefer the 110s
chuckr70
AG
I reload and have had great luck with the Barnes 85 grain MPG. I shot an 8pt buck at 185 yards. Dropped him in his tracks. Round chronographed about 3050 fps from a Stag 6.8 upper. Barnes can provide the reload data if you email them. Good luck.
Cannew
AG
Not to derail this thread, but what kind of uppers for 6.8 spc II are yall using? I have been wanting to put together a 6.8 and am leaning toward a White Oak Armory complete.
aggielostinETX
AG
I have a WOA 16" SPR barrel in my custom upper and it shoots better than me.
Around 1/2 MOA.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
I built my own with an ARP barrel. But I would go with Iron Works Tactical or Bison Armory if you are buying one. They're pretty much top of the 6.8 game.
aggielostinETX
AG
I have bison armory 8.5" that I haven't had a chance to shoot yet.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
quote:
I have bison armory 8.5" that I haven't had a chance to shoot yet.

Planning to shoot subs in it?
aggielostinETX
AG
yep.
GSS
I had a Bison Armory upper (18"), the Stag Hunter was a better performer (all reloads), so the Bison was sold. Son-in-law also bought a Stag Hunter; it has performed wellw/factory ammo,....then my son wanted a 6.8, and went the White Oak Armament route, including the upgrade to the Shilen barrel (18")..he's still doing load workup, but looks very promising.

Complete Stag uppers still seem like the best buy out there, IMO.
ARP certainly gets the accolades, but I have no personal experience.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
cledus6150
AG
This is a WOA complete 20" upper, they bead blasted it for I think and extra $25. The upper was call for availability, I had it inside of 2-weeks and it only took that long because they had to bead blast it. The only thing I wished I would have done would of been to have a longer forearm. I plan on putting a troy alpha 15" on it. I have yet to shoot it, but I do have some 95gr ttsx loads worked up for it.

This is my second WOA product the first shoots lights out and was the main reason why I went back with a WOA in 6.8.

RebelE Infantry
AG
Noveske Afghan 14.5" stainless barrel shoots lights out.
aggielostinETX
AG
Cledus check out ALG and Samson for a more affordable, light weight options on the longer hanguards.
cledus6150
AG
Will do, always on the look out for lighter, thinner, and more affordable products.
Cannew
AG
Cledus,

That is similar to what i had in mind, I like the 20" and have been reading up on 6.8 forum, my only concern is the handling of 20" barrel vs. 16" barrel. Thank you all for the answers!
aggielostinETX
AG
Cannew,
Look at the ballistics of 20" vs 16" in 6.8 before deciding on the 20", unless you just want a 20".
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
I use Bison for the barrels for my 6.8 builds. LOVE them.
cledus6150
AG
I have been using my 18" AR for almost two years now and my dad has been running his 20" bushmaster predator for more than 5 years. We really only use them for hunting and the longer barrels have been of zero hindrance, of course that could be due to us being use to 24-26" barrels plus muzzle breaks on our bolt guns.

This is a comparison of a 18" and 20" gun leaning up against each other.

aggielostinETX
AG
Cledus,
Really just talking weight of the whole gun.
cledus6150
AG
Gotcha, I have never really had a problem with firearm weight. I have always been told I was built like a pack mule an heavy rifle don't bother me with a good sling. I will say that neither of my AR's would be considered light. As for choosing a 20" over 16", I will be doing handloads and attempting to reach a velocity of 3000. A little more barrel adds just a little more velocity and more powder burn.
GSS
I'll personally take a 20" barrel over a 16" anytime, whether a 5.56 or a 6.8. Better ballistics and reduced muzzle blast win every time for me. No CQB w/ hogs or deer planned
I don't run flash hiders on my AR's, so there's a little OAL savings.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.