Outdoors
Sponsored by

Dog Food?

8,401 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by airboatag
Nagler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for some suggestions on dog foods.

We have a 7 year old basset hound and a 1 old lab. Rightnow they're eating Kibbles and Bits because that's what my wife fed the basset
before I was around and I didn't really care. The lab is mine, at least when he
tears something up, and I don't really want to be feeding/paying for K&B.
Also, not interested in the premium Blue dog foods and whatnot.

Any suggestions for a decent food that will work for both ofthem. I would say they are averagely active.
ag92tx
Iams
Waltonloads08
AG
Goat meat
htxag09
AG
I'd suggest doing a search. There are quite a few lengthy threads on the subject.

I think the more popular recommendation on the OB is science diet, I feed Merrick.
gigumaggie
AG
best bang for your buck I've found is pure balance
Max06
AG
I feed Sam's Club "Simply Right" chicken & rice. I know several breeders & trainers that feed it, otherwise I would have never given it a second glance. My GSP does well on it, but she's a very low maintenance dog as far as food is concerned.
Dr Pete
Science Diet, been feeding it for25 years. No, zero, zip nada problems and I have had probably 40 dogs of my own besides those I board at the office. None of mine ever have had ears, skin, digestive or cancer problems. Beating the odds and can not say that all due to diet. I sure see a lot of those things in dogs fed the whatever diets.
aggie4christ22
Mine eat Science Diet and Purina ProPlan.
RockinU
Victor, in the red bag...I feed an absurd amount of dogs, and it's as good as I've found.
dah4439
AG
I fed my lab Beneful from the time he was a puppy, but switched to Royal Canine Breed Specific to labs when he was about 6. I noticed a substantial difference in his coat, nails, teeth, attitude and energy almost immediately. Fed him that until the day he died (almost made 15). Just my $.02. It will be close to 2x what you pay for Beneful per pound, but it was worth it for me.
powerbelly
AG
Science Diet for my rottweiler.

ellebee
This website is interesting.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/
MasterAggie
AG
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Blend is what I feed my lab. The reduction in the amount he s***s alone is worth the price. He loves it and is in amazing shape both physical shape and coat.
saltydog13
AG
Purina pro plan performance
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
wadd96
AG
Both my dad and I feed Victor. We use the purple. It's well priced, but you'll need to get it at a feed store rather than a grocery store. Also, not an excessive amount of poop. They have a variety of formulas based on need.

It's nice to that we use the same food so I don't have to pack dog food if I take the dogs to the parents' house or to the ranch.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Doc Hayworth
Purina One
DuckDown2013
AG
quote:
Science Diet, been feeding it for25 years. No, zero, zip nada problems and I have had probably 40 dogs of my own besides those I board at the office. None of mine ever have had ears, skin, digestive or cancer problems. Beating the odds and can not say that all due to diet. I sure see a lot of those things in dogs fed the whatever diets.
Agreed. I feed Science diet to my lab and have never had issues.
Hoyt Ag
AG
4 Health from Tractor Supply.
Camo
Feeding (fed) the lab puppy blue buffalo. At the training facility she is getting pure ______ can't think of it
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Taste of the Wild
Mockingbird Ag
AG
Agree with posts on Victor dog food. Good protein less poop. We use the one for Sporting dogs, but we run bird dogs year round, you may not need that much protein. America's Country Store has it in Wellborn. The feed store on the bend on Texas carries it also, if you live in BCS.
boboguitar
AG
FYI blue buffalo is marketing BS. Any nutrients lists they have are not accurate. They do not regulate what goes into their food and 3rd party tests have concluded over and over that the ingredients labeled is not the ingredients in the bag.

Then of course there is the yearly blue buffalo product recall because dogs keep dying because of their food.
Rockdoc
AG
Fromms large breed from the day I brought my lab home. It's been great.
ILuvAgLand
Yeah, I got the feeling blue buffalo is marketing bs so I switched to Taste of the wild.
clobby
AG
My dog seems to like taste of the wild.
RockinU
quote:
Agree with posts on Victor dog food. Good protein less poop. We use the one for Sporting dogs, but we run bird dogs year round, you may not need that much protein. America's Country Store has it in Wellborn. The feed store on the bend on Texas carries it also, if you live in BCS.

As does Steinhauser's
940Ag
AG
Another vote for Victor. I have a 8 yr old lab and 2 year old lab on it. They have several options, and it won't break the bank.
gwellis
AG
Beau has been on Purina Pro Plan for coming up on 6 years. Very Healthy Pup!
Gil '91
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
We have a 1 yo pureblood lab as well. we have been feeding him Eukanuba large breed puppy since he was on dry food. its what the breeders were feeding so we just stuck with it. we keep up with the homes of about half the rest of the litter and pretty much all the other's switched to blue buffalo. at 1 year, ours is one of the best looking from the liter in terms of coat and how well he muscled out. just anecdotal, but that's our experience.
maverick12
AG
quote:
Agree with posts on Victor dog food. Good protein less poop.

Serious question...Does less poop equate to a healthy dog food, or is it just a convenience thing?

I'm feeding Taste of the Wild and my 3 year old lab does great on it. Still, I'm considering switching to Purina Pro Plan, or Science Diet mainly because both of these companies have been around for a very long time and I feel like they likely invest considerably more dollars into research and development. I would think the boutique brands on the other hand, don't have near the resources for R&D so they focus more on marketing. Big concerns of mine when selecting a dog food are longevity and future health issue as the dog enters his senior years. I'm not sure how much R&D the boutique brands are putting in this area, but I would bet it would be significantly less that Purina, or Hills.
Bregxit
AG
Orijen Adult.
ksp
quote:
Purina One
lamb and rice formula.
lctag
AG
Ol' Roy from Walmart......
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.