Outdoors
Sponsored by

Fishing Spring Creek for White Bass

12,959 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by MouthBQ98
AGeng25
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Never done it before. Do the parks just east of spring have public access? Can you walk up and down the creek at will or must you stay within certain boundaries? What type of tackle? I typically use light jigs in yegua creek...I have hip waders and regular waders - are either required?

TIA
The Wonderer
AG
I wouldn't walk around in Spring Creek without waders...
cledus6150
AG
Fishing spring creek is not a very specific area, it is a very long creek and actually there are many spring creeks. I grew up in Waller and spring creek ran behind my house. I fished it ALOT growing up and can honestly say I never once caught a white bass. Then again I wouldn't expect to catch one either with the location I was fishing. I always caught some good channel cats black bass and perch and a few crappie. Oh and I never worried about anything in that creek used to run in the creek with just old tennis shoes on to prevent getting cut by glass.
DUman08
AG
I have fished Jesse Jones Park there are some deep holes in the creek where they hold. Caught some good crappie there also.
The creek makes a fork on the north end of the park no secret place but it always has been good to me when I fished it.
MouthBQ98
AG
It's not that big of a deal. Water quality in Spring and Cypress creeks gets tested, because they feed into the San Jacinto river, which then feeds into Lake Houston, and is a major source for the city's drinking water.

There's a sad amount of trash in the creeks, but it's mostly stuff that blows out of trucks and trashcans and gets washed into ditches and into the creeks over time. By then its just ugly looking but inert.

I know Cypress creek better

For access, any public road that crosses it provides easement access, and there is the Arboretum and Jesse Jones Park on the lower end, and several further up that I am less familiar with. It is shallow and wide for the most part northwest of Jesse Jones, with some channels, holes, etc. south of Jesse Jones, it slows down and widens to permanent low banks, and actually is lined with cypress trees here and there. There's some big overhead powerlines that basically mark this location. From there, it is more or less about 30-40 yards wide, and varies from 3 to 20 feet deep. After 3/4 miles it widens out much more, and merges with Spring Creek with a big deep hole, and then not much further down, it merges with the San Jacinto river, and is almost effectively the upper end of Lake Houston.

Anywhere within a mile or so of this convergence, you can catch white bass year round on occasion, but they are far more concentrated during the spawn. They will come up the creeks past I45 under the right conditions, usually in April or so, if at all. I have caught white bass almost to the Kuykendahl bridge once.

AGeng25
AG
Mouth - thanks for the response. Is there any way to access the convergence of Spring and Cypress creeks other than walking down from Jesse Jones park? It looks like you may be able to fish underneath 59 just south of that meeting point. Is this a decent area? Since the creek seems to be much more than 40 yards wide there, is fishing from the bank even legit? Rattletraps and spoons?
AGeng25
AG
Alright I'm gonna give it a shot tomorrow morning. Any takers?
MouthBQ98
AG
Rattletraps and roadrunners work. There is the bridge at 59. Probably not the safest parking under the bridge sometimes.

On the other hand, on the 59 northbound feeder bridge over the san jacinto river on the first road that turns to the east, you can go to just before the rr tracks and turn right/south oh the dirt road there. That is edge water. It looks kinds dumpy, but for $5 to the old guy at the house, you can safely park and bank fish there, or hike back up to the bridge.

During the run, Jesse jones can be pretty good, too.
snowaggie
Ahhh...MouthBQ, that brings back memories for me. I always screwed around in Cypress Creek in the Champions/249 area as a kid. Haven't seen that in 30 years. I was amazed to catch several nice white bass one May while fishing for catfish and turtles with bacon. I remember it being a dry spring and the water was low, but any pool with a little depth held fish, and they were hungry. Lots of fun at any age, but especially to a greenhorn 12 year old.
MouthBQ98
AG
White bass also really like little crawfish jigs, and for some reason, tiny salad shrimp work good.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.