Outdoors
Sponsored by

2,4-d application rate

5,110 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by CanyonAg77
Na Zdraví 87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My dad passed away last year. He had some 2,4-d left over in his shop. We have a 500 gallon sprayer with booms. My brother and I want to break out the sprayer and spray some weeds.
Without getting into calculations and rate per acre, should 2.5 gallons per 500 gallons do the job with a good surfactant added to it?

[This message has been edited by Na ZdravĂ­ 87 (edited 6/27/2012 9:27a).]
AgResearch
AG
2.5 gallons in 500 gallons of water would be a fairly low rate of application.
AgResearch
AG
quote:
Without getting into to calculations and rate per acre

Sorry but this is very important information considering you only have 2.5 gallons of 2,4-D.

AG

[This message has been edited by Na ZdravĂ­ 87 (edited 6/27/2012 9:54a).]
agbq06
AG
You need to calibrate your sprayer and figure out how much liquid is being applied per acre. Once you figure that out then figure out how many acres a 500 gallon tank will do.

The application rate for 2,4D-Amine is a quart per acre. So you would need to add enough 2,4D at a quart an acre, for however many acres your spray rig will do.
HTownAg98
^This. You need to calibrate your sprayer to know how much you're product you're applying per acre. Fortunately, it's pretty easy to do.

http://varietytesting.tamu.edu/weeds/Baumann%20Publications/SCS-1998-01Sprayer%20Calibration.pdf
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Thanks for the link. That seems easy enough.

agbq06
AG
Another point of reference for you. A 2.5gal jug of 2,4D-Amine is enough chemical for 10acres. so if you have 10gallons, that is 40acres worth of chemical. If you do not have a license to spray (I'm assuming you don't because it was your fathers) then 1) you will not be able to buy more as it is a regulated chemical. 2) you NEED to be VERY aware where you spray! If you are anywhere near Gardens, or Row Crop, you do not need to spray it if you dont know what you're doing. Wind and drift can be a problem, and if you kill someones garden or row crop field, you have a legal problem on your hands.

Remember, you will also need to add surfactant and/or different adjuvants to properly apply the chemical.
AgResearch
AG
^^^ What he said.

Know what is nearby. Cotton farmer will return the favor for killing his cotton.

Hot & dry conditions = volatility of 2,4-D
Wind over 10mph = drift

Both of these will get you in serious trouble if sensitive crops are nearby.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Thanks agbq! I didn't qualify myself very well. I've been spraying weeds for years. I'm fully aware of the consequences of spraying 2,4-d. We usually only spray early, early morning before the wind picks up. And yes, we have several gallons of surfactant to go with the spray. I just never did the calculations as my dad always did that. I should have paid more attention when he did it. Unfortunately, there are several things my dad took with him when he passed that I should have paid better attention to. He was a very wise, knowledgeable, self made man. He was my idol.

Thanks for the helpful replies!
Oh and fortunately, where I am spraying, I am my own neighbor. Just more pasture land.

[This message has been edited by Na ZdravĂ­ 87 (edited 6/27/2012 9:47a).]
CanyonAg77
AG
Also, is it amine or ester formulation?

Amine will pretty much stay where it is sprayed. Ester can volatilize and drift hours after it is sprayed, depending on weather conditions.

As said above, it is ridiculous to want to put out chemical "...Without getting into calculations and rate per acre..." If you don't know what you're doing and/or don't care to learn, don't mess with it. Do you know what weeds it controls and which ones it does not? Do you know under what conditions it is safe to apply? Do you know under what conditions it is EFFECTIVE to apply?

And I'm fairly sure that if you don't have a applicator's license, it probably isn't legal for you to spray it, anyway. You'd probably get away with it, unless you killed some neighbor's crop. If that happened, be ready to bend over and take it.
agbq06
AG
quote:
And yes, we have several gallons of surfactant to go with the spray.

What kind of surfactant?
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Canyon, see my reply above. Yes, my dad had the license and I am in process of getting mine.
I'm not an idiot. I've been in the ranching/cattle business for all of my life. I do know what I am doing. Just never done calculations for weed spray. No use in ripping me without knowing me. Should have qualified myself from the get go.

And it's amine.

[This message has been edited by Na ZdravĂ­ 87 (edited 6/27/2012 9:53a).]
CanyonAg77
AG
Will leave my original post up, but your OP made it appear you knew nothing.

The rate per acre is pretty darn easy to figure out from the package. My memory is a half pint to pint per acre is a pretty common rate on most formulations, so I'd guess you had 20-40 acres worth there. Of course, that depends on the formulation, so read the label rather than rely on my wild-@$$ guess.

If you want to be 100% accurate, the calibration method up there is the way to go. If you want to ball park it, go to the web site of the nozzle manufacturer. They usually have charts that will tell you the gallons per acre at certain speeds and boom pressures.

Tee Jet for example

CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
I'm not an idiot

OP begs to differ
quote:
Without getting into calculations and rate per acre, should 2.5 gallons per 500 gallons do the job with a good surfactant added to it?

That question is like asking how far a tank of gas will get you without knowing if you're driving a Humvee or a Prius.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
You can stop now. damn.
SWCBonfire
AG
I'm surprised no one asked what kind of weeds you are spraying and how old/big they are. If they are woody weeds that are mature you are wasting time and money. If they are doveweeds or something that 2,4d can handle you may have to bump up the application rate to kill them if they are more mature. The weeds "grow" themselves to death (simplified explanation I know) and if they've stopped or slowed growing they are hard to kill. Some weeds that you can kill with plain 2,4d when they are small may take banvel or tordon added in to kill when they get bigger.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Mostly doveweeds.
We had thistles bad earlier in the year but we shredded them. Damn things were bad.
CanyonAg77
AG
SWCBonfire:

Leave him alone. He's not an idiot.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.