Outdoors
Sponsored by

Portland, OR

4,976 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by superspeck
ursusguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I apparently get to go to Portland, OR (oddly enough, about a month after I will be in Portland. ME), any recommendations on things to see? I'll basically have maybe a day to look around.

I've already made the mistake of googling "bears in Portland", yikes.

I know there it the Travel board, but I trust yall a bit more. I'll be on a pretty limited budget (pretty much looking at sub-Motel 6).
shiftyandquick
Powell's book store.

You could go to the original McCormick's and Schmick's restaurant.

You can also walk around and tell the homeless hipsters to take a shower.
birdman
Downtown is awesome, a city planner's dream.

Mount Tabor Park is easy, quick place to visit. Really nice park with great views of Portland.

If you have more time, I would just drive along the Columbia River to the east.

Multnomah Falls is spectacular, 500 feet waterfall or so. It is just 100 yards from road.

Mt Hood isn't that far from Portland.

Hood River is along the Columbia River, one of best windsurfing places in world. Great place to watch guys tearing it up.

Mount Saint Helens is neat geology and biology, but still ugly. Maybe one hour to the north. Ape Cave Lava Tubes is fascinating place to visit. Check it out.
RMC91
AG
I got friends there and can ask and post when I hear back. Also, I think there's an ag on Aggies only, M&W or some other board who lives there so it may be worth posting on a few other boards.
Bevobuster
AG
As mentioned previously, Multnomah Falls (and all the other on the same trail..Bridal Falls,etc.) are great and only about 30 minutes from Portland.
http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org/wiki/Multnomah_Falls_Hike
shiftyandquick
are you going to fly fish?
ursusguy
AG
"You can also walk around and tell the homeless hipsters to take a shower."--I worked at Philmont for too long to be bothered by either aspect. Funny you should mention the homeless. When my wife found out I was going, one of the first things she told me was "God I hope you don't go hang out with the homeless guys". The last two conferences I have attended, I got bored in the evening, and when I get bored I tend to start walking. In Nashville and then in NYC, I ended up hanging out with homeless folks for at least one evening.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had heard about the falls, and plan on hitting them up.

Shifty--No, I'm attending a conference. I look like an idiot with a fly rod. The last time I used one, I ended up using it like a fancy cane pole.

[This message has been edited by ursusguy (edited 6/8/2012 11:06p).]
ajn142
AG
Sturgeon fishing. No clue how much that runs, and how much you can get away with cost cutting measures.
OaklandAg06
AG
YouTube a couple of scenes from portlandia
Bevobuster
AG
If you're bored and looking for homeless to hang out with, head over to Voodoo Doughnuts for a late night snack and you will find plenty...actually, no matter where you go in the city you will find some interesting people...the slogan is Keep Portland Weird (they claim austin stole this from them and are very proud of it)
tamc91
AG
Ursus - not sure how much time you'll have, but after a paper presentation at a wetlands society meeting in Portland in the 90's I headed to the coast . Spent 2-3 days driving along the coast watching whales, seal lions and birds. There are also lighthouses on the shore and covered bridges up the river basins. It was a great way to spend my measly student paper stipend, and I've wanted to go back since.
marcel ledbetter
Will you be staying in the downtown area? I'll second Powell's Books if you can get to the downtown area. If you only have a day and don't have a navigator to show you around, you'll have plenty to see there. You'll love the area on Burnside just west of the Burnside bridge over the Willamette. Hang around the mission. You'll have plenty of great people to meet there! It's a great city to visit.
ursusguy
AG
I'll either be in downtown, or out by the airport.

tamc91--I'll probably be checking out the wetlands out of professional curiosity.

[This message has been edited by ursusguy (edited 6/8/2012 11:32p).]
ColoradoMooseHerd
Go see the rose garden and views in Washington park

The original McCormick & scmicks is called Jakes Grill

Multnomah Falls a must see

Several McMennimans around. Local brew pubs in some very unique locations
Ol Jock 99
AG
"I've already made the mistake of googling "bears in Portland", yikes."

Oh damn, that's funny.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Do not stay at the airport. You might enjoy the lakeShore inn in lake Oswego neat little town
Log
AG
The Gorge. Go up the Gorge if you get half a chance.
tamc91
AG
If you go in June, you may be able to catch the end of the gray whale migration. I stayed around the lighthouses and saw several pods moving through. Probably 25 total whales. Also saw hooded merganser with fledglings swimming along the rivers which was cool since we normally don't see adults in Tx. Head west!

[This message has been edited by tamc91 (edited 6/8/2012 11:58p).]
ToddyHill
AG
My favorite...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2LBICPEK6w

shiftyandquick
The reason I asked about fishing is because if so I could have told you about my fishing stuff I did last year in the area. Which I will anyway via link:

http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?forum_id=34&topic_id=1878180&page=1&nomobile=1

The Lewis River near Mt. St Helens--that area is very beautiful. But it's kinda far from Portland. You would be looking at probably just under 2 hours drive. I understand that there is some interesting hiking that can be done in and around Mt St. Helens.
chocolatelabs
AG
Go to the oregon coast. Very beautiful place.

Mt. St. helens is not to far.

silver falls state park is a nice place to hike.

I would try to flyfish if you have time.

Awesome place up there.
Big Bucks
AG
If you are into history, make the short drive over to Ft. Clatsop, where Lewis and Clark wintered before heading back east. Pretty neat.
313-7-12thMan
A great steakhouse is The Ringside at 2165 Burnside downtown.
JMH
AG
Skipped to the bottom. Watch a lot of Portlandia to get a very accurate and not made up view at all, of Portland. The dreams of the 80s are alive in Portland. Put a bird on it.
Sgt. Hartman
AG
If you see Multnomah Falls, keep going upriver to a little town called Hood River. Then turn south to Mt. Hood. Go up the mountain to see Timberline Lodge. Its a ski lodge built in the 30s by the WPA or CCC. A really cool old building that is still operating as a ski lodge.
jetch17
AG
Rogue & Deschutes breweries
ursusguy
AG
Thanks for the suggestions.

Brewries are for people watching for me, so I'll probably check one out, but I don't drink in public.
RustyBoltz
AG
quote:
Rogue & Deschutes breweries

+1
ManchuAg03
AG
I agree with chocolatelabs. If you have time, check out the coast. My wife and I spent some time in Cannon Beach before a deployement....awesome!

Have a great time.
Pierce County Ag
AG
Canon Beach + Astoria + Light Houses

Hood River is a nicle little town that I pass through on the way to and from Mt. Adams.

Lots of hikes around Hood and out west in the Siskiyous.
shiftyandquick
Uwajimaya japanese supermarket

http://www.uwajimaya.com/locations.html

In Beaverton (suburb of Portland).
ursusguy
AG
Thanks, that actually looks pretty neat.
Mayhaw Jelly
AG
I just moved back to Houston after living there for 6 years. If you literally have one day, I would recommend choosing from the following:

Day hike in Forest Park. You can take public transit to the trail head, and this time of year it will be beautiful. http://www.forestparkconservancy.org/forest-park/

If you can afford it, eat at Merryweather's http://www.meriwethersnw.com/ This time of year is prime for Halibut...they'll have it fresh.

Do yourself a favor and find a place that has Double Mountain's India Red Ale (IRA) on tap...they usually have it at Merryweathers.

I could spend all day at Powell's, the country's largest independently owned bookstore. http://www.powells.com/

Grab a burger at Burgerville, puts Whataburger to shame.

OMSI museum.

Portland is a cool town, you will have fun just walking around the Pearl.

Mayhaw Jelly
AG
quote:
Go up the mountain to see Timberline Lodge. Its a ski lodge built in the 30s by the WPA or CCC. A really cool old building that is still operating as a ski lodge.

Also the lodge used in The Shining.
agenjake
Drive east and see the trail with all the waterfalls. Then cross the river and drive back on the Washington side. Some of the prettiest country you will ever see.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.