Outdoors
Sponsored by

Filled up the Protein Feeders Yesterday

3,500 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by AggieBB
bushman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We picked up some protein and headed out to East Texas yesterday to shred the food plots and fill up the protein feeders. As I was hooking up the tractor to the shredder, I was surprised when something shot out from under neath it. One well placed machete to the head and he was no longer a threat. This is the first copperhead I have seen on this place in 18 years, but it was a big one, measured 32 1/2" minus the head.

We moved one of the feeders to a better location and had deer on it within 2 hours.

Here is the camera setup.

This morning, we started on the feeder pen around one of the feeders. I am sick and tired of feeding high priced protein to hogs, so we are going to fence in all three protein feeders. We were short 3 panels, but here is what it looks like now with 5 covering about 2/3's of it.

At least this will get them used to the fence before we enclose it in and build the other two. These deer don't see many fences that they can't walk through, so it may take a while. I am making them extra large so they will not feel hemmed up and more can get in at one time. Can't wait to start getting some pics of this years horn growth, it should be good. We have not had the drought that most of the state has had out there. Emptied 4" out of the rain gauge when we arrived.
SanAntoneAg
AG
What is that green stuff called that's growing on the ground?

[This message has been edited by SanAntoneAg (edited 6/25/2011 4:17p).]
ursusguy
AG
Impressive copperhead.

The green stuff is a dream
MasterAggie
AG
quote:

What is that green stuff called that's growing on the ground?

Unripe dirt.
bushman
AG
I kept his skin, plan on making a hat band out of it. Very nice coloration, blended in with the leaves almost too well.

We spent quite a few hours moving that green stuff, it's everywhere.
Ted Logan
AG

You have a problem with gangs? Looks like your feeder got "tagged"
HuntingGMan
AG
That snakeskin should make a really nice hatband. What is your preferred method for tanning the skin?
swampstander
AG
That doe looks yummy.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
This is meant to be friendly criticism

The method of securing feeder legs with t-posts is dangerous. Since the feeders congregate deer the area gets a lot more use and is uneven. To fill the feeder you must elevate yourself and that exposes you to a falling risk

That falling risk then turns into an impaling risk
bushman
AG
Gman, I plan to use Borax with it stretched out on a piece of plywood. Once cured, I will clean it and trim it to the size I want. Next, I cut a piece of flexible plastic the size of the band and use spray adhesive to glue the skin to the band. I made one out of a rattler quite a few years ago and it still looks pretty good. I will do a DIY when I tan it. It will be a while, I forgot it in the freezer at the farm.

05, I can stand flat footed and fill all three feeders w/o use of a ladder, I am a talllllll man. Without the legs being properly staked down, the hogs would make short work of them. With the pens in place they won't be as critical, but I still want them staked well. Just in case a hog gets in the pen and tries to get to the protein.
AggieBB
AG
quote:
To fill the feeder you must elevate yourself and that exposes you to a falling risk

This is a protein feeder. Elevating yourself is not neccessary unless you're a midget.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.